Update, I done did it and review - Should I go Wireless?

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
edited June 2017 in Guitar
OK at last night gig my input switcher failed to select one chanel. This is the second unit to fail at about 3 years old. So rather than replace it with another (maybe different brand this time) I'm seriously considering 3 transmitters and a single receiver. The smooth hound looks the way to go.
It will be strange after all these years not being attached to the pedalboard and kicking the cable to the side but maybe the 21st century is here. So talk me out of it, convince me it's a sound/unsound investment etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    just do it, ya luddite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2017
    I've been using a Smoothhound one for a while now, and it's great. We play pubs/clubs without a sound man so being able to go out into the venue during soundcheck and play whilst hearing it from there is brilliant.

Also nice being separated from any dodgy pub electronics.

Being free of a cable is weird at first, I was naturally remembering which way I just turned to make sure I turn back the other way and all of that.

Haven't noticed any issues at all with the sound, but apparently some vintage fuzz pedals won't like it, but my ThorphyFX one is happy.

And of course you can duck walk around the place and play a face melting solo from up on the bar if you like (I don't actually do these things....but I could if I wanted to)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If you wanna play without all the mucky muck..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    No Probs here with Smooth Hound ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited May 2017
    I used one when gigging in the '80s on the basis that in a lot of venues, I felt safer not being connected to anything plugged into their mains supply.

One great benefit is you can go to the back of the room when sound checking and listen from where the audience will be.

A mate of mine endorses Smooth Hound and raves about them.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    I did go wireless for about 20 gigs, yeah you can walk around the pub if you want to but once the novelty of that wore off I found it a bit pointless and another bit of kit to connect \ charge battery etc

conversely by main band uses 3 radio mics at the front, simply because the receivers can live in the same rack as the digital stage rack and IEM units so wiring all 3 front mics is as quick as connecting one single cat 5 cable and placing 3 mics into stands ... that really does save some time
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I can't speak for guitar, but I've been using a wireless system with my clarinet for years. I started with a line6 G30 and when that eventually died, I got myself a G50. I have a hole drilled into the barrel (the small part that goes after the mouthpiece) and I do use a couple of effects, so in a way I need a wireless as microphones that are not 100% directional pick up all kinds of onstage sound and that nonsense bleeding through the octave pedal and delay really sucks. It gives me 100% isolation, and I can move around onstage and also (as mentioned above) check the sound from the auditorium. 

Also, the plug in mic I use is the best sounding clarinet microphone for live work that I've found.

So basically, wireless is great.  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Allows you to get closer to your groupies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Sassafras said:
    Allows you to get closer to your groupies.
    Have you seen some of them? Wednesday we did a holiday camp and being early out of season means it's predominantly pensioners, mind you some of them were hot in thier day.....

I have done the deed and ordered three transmitters and a receiver from Chris at Smoothound. no gig now for a couple of weeks so i can set it all up at home and try it. More fullerer report to follow!

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Got  a Smoothhound a year or so back. I absolutely love it and it sounds great.

Pros: Excellent battery life, it separates you from dodgy electrics,  allows you to check on FoH sound is you don't have a soundman and to wander about in the venue if you're off on a solo.

Downsides: Have to remember to charge the batteries,  the sticky pad they give yo is rubbish, but a couple of velcro dots do the job just as well.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Another vote for smooth-hound! replaced my G50 and not looked back since.

I've just got a pack of AAA in my guitar case where I keep the transmitter so never had a problem with batteries. and I just use a bit of electrical tape to keep it plugged in.

Robust as heck. receiver has been kicked, trodden on, and taken a direct hit from a 3tonne 48" Ride (maybe not quite that big but its a heavy bastard), and just popped the antenna back into place with no issues.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    customer support is top notch too.
    sgosden said:
    customer support is top notch too.
    Strewth you ain't kidding, ordered yesterday and delivered at 08:10 this a Saturday morning! Three transmitters, receiver, microtape extender and everything. Impressed before I even plug in. That's for later though, car boot and bedding plants beckon first, well second after my poached eggs.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Thinking of selling my Shure GLXD16 which is a great reliable system and doubles up as a tuner :) Only thinking of selling as I thought I'd be coming out into the audience more than I did so a bit of a luxury for me for such awesome kit :)

check 'em out :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Line 6 G10 has impressed me greatly.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Sassafras said:
    Allows you to get closer to your groupies the Bar.
    FTFY ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited May 2017
    Any of those with batteries in the receiver as well? That way I don't need another charger or cable around as the only thing I'm using is the ax8 and a exp pedal..
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    The receiver on the Shure is powered by my voodoo labs 4x4. Only the transmitter has a lithium battery in it. Lasts for ages too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    cbellanga said:
    Any of those with batteries in the receiver as well? That way I don't need another charger or cable around as the only thing I'm using is the ax8 and a exp pedal..
    The Xvive U2 has a rechargeable transmitter and receiver. It wouldn't live on your board, just plug in when you need it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    OK so a live gig then a studio rehearsal under my belt this weekend so a quick review.

Gig - Friday evening, outdoors on a trailer, pub back garden. Country and Rock n Roll

The amp was a HRD and ended up with the volume just under 5 (so quite loud actually) pedal board and two guitars Tele and 335.
    When I first turned on it sounded fine, then later when we went to sound check I got a nasty buzz, turned out to be the idiot using it had a duff patch lead! After that it was great all night long, swapping was simply a case of press the transmitter button 1 second to turn off, put down and pick up alternate guitar, press button 1 second and glance at receiver to see steady white go off and two columns of greens come on.
    Sound was bright (I like bright) but I may tweak the cable length/capacitance settings on the receiver.
    Very pleased, singer from my funk band hadn't heard me play those styles and complimented the tonezzzz.

Rehearsal, Sunday afternoon sound proofed studio (and bleedin hot with no aircon) funk and disco.

Again the HRD and pedalboard (to be honest they just stayed in the car from friday night). volume about 2+ now and managed with guitar volume more acutely so we keep a lid on it and hear vocals/arrangements. Again worked well enough, I need to put the micro sticky tape on the transmitters to stop them wobbling about in the future (they are tight at the moment so no worries). This time a Tele joined the strat and 335. Only thing I noticed was the vast difference it levels between the fenders and the humbuckers of the 335 and it seemed more pronounced than Friday night probably because the amp was now ticking over. With the mechanical input selector I had a gain trim on one input and took down the 335 a tad to match the fenders going into the pedal board, it would be nice to have that facility on the individual transmitters (since I've already labled them 1,2 & 3 - yea I was up all night dreaming that sequence up), so I could designate 1 for humbuckers and 2 & 3 for single coils. As it happens I'm a seriel twiddler on the volume and tone knobs with the 335 anyway but the volumes are around 5-6 and blow the Fenders volume wise on 9-10 leaving nowhere to go for extra solo volume. I will balance things but gain settings per transmitter would be the easiest.

Anyway thats my feelings so far. I didn't find myself missing the cable even though I didn't wander down the step ladder and out into the pub garden for a listen. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase and expect enjoy it for a long time.