Update, I done did it and review - Should I go Wireless?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    ESBlonde said:
    OK so a live gig then a studio rehearsal under my belt this weekend so a quick review.

Gig - Friday evening, outdoors on a trailer, pub back garden. Country and Rock n Roll

The amp was a HRD and ended up with the volume just under 5 (so quite loud actually) pedal board and two guitars Tele and 335.
    When I first turned on it sounded fine, then later when we went to sound check I got a nasty buzz, turned out to be the idiot using it had a duff patch lead! After that it was great all night long, swapping was simply a case of press the transmitter button 1 second to turn off, put down and pick up alternate guitar, press button 1 second and glance at receiver to see steady white go off and two columns of greens come on.
    Sound was bright (I like bright) but I may tweak the cable length/capacitance settings on the receiver.
    Very pleased, singer from my funk band hadn't heard me play those styles and complimented the tonezzzz.

Rehearsal, Sunday afternoon sound proofed studio (and bleedin hot with no aircon) funk and disco.

Again the HRD and pedalboard (to be honest they just stayed in the car from friday night). volume about 2+ now and managed with guitar volume more acutely so we keep a lid on it and hear vocals/arrangements. Again worked well enough, I need to put the micro sticky tape on the transmitters to stop them wobbling about in the future (they are tight at the moment so no worries). This time a Tele joined the strat and 335. Only thing I noticed was the vast difference it levels between the fenders and the humbuckers of the 335 and it seemed more pronounced than Friday night probably because the amp was now ticking over. With the mechanical input selector I had a gain trim on one input and took down the 335 a tad to match the fenders going into the pedal board, it would be nice to have that facility on the individual transmitters (since I've already labled them 1,2 & 3 - yea I was up all night dreaming that sequence up), so I could designate 1 for humbuckers and 2 & 3 for single coils. As it happens I'm a seriel twiddler on the volume and tone knobs with the 335 anyway but the volumes are around 5-6 and blow the Fenders volume wise on 9-10 leaving nowhere to go for extra solo volume. I will balance things but gain settings per transmitter would be the easiest.

Anyway thats my feelings so far. I didn't find myself missing the cable even though I didn't wander down the step ladder and out into the pub garden for a listen. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase and expect enjoy it for a long time.

Great full review there thanks. Still should've bought my Shure GLXD16 though lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    ESBlonde said:
    OK

Great full review there thanks. Still should've bought my Shure GLXD16 though lol
    ;-) But I needed 3 transmitters to do the old switcheroonie thing because I haz guitars.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    ESBlonde said:
    ESBlonde said:
    OK

;-) But I needed 3 transmitters to do the old switcheroonie thing because I haz guitars.
    That's just greedy lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Best thing I ever did was buy the Line6 G50 - playing dodgy pubs with iffy electrics mean no concerns about being electrocuted through the mic. I've had a bolt off a mic once through my top lip and 1) its scary, 2) its painful and 3) it ruined the rest of the show. The landlord couldn't have cared less when I told him...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    I have 2 transmitters too for my SmoothHound and it works a treat, in fact its probably a lot quicker than the old fashioned method of muting, pulling out lead, changing guitar, inserting lead, unmuting and going!!

I find the range to be a bit pants sometimes, but then the receiver does live on my pedalboard which is sometimes hidden behind a monitor or other shite that usually ends up stage-front (only really notice this at soundcheck)

I take great pleasure in walking over to the Bass Player's side of stage mid song and hitting every button I can on his little pedalboard just to mess him up - he can't reciprocate as he is tethered to a lead!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I lol'd that @welshboyo, unfortunately my basserer has wireless, however the drumist and keyboard player.......
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    ESBlonde said:
    I lol'd that @welshboyo, unfortunately my basserer has wireless, however the drumist and keyboard player.......
    its great fun....obviously, the bigger gigs I tend to behave myself but it keeps me entertained to see him panic when in the middle of a quieter number he suddenly has octaver, chorus, overdrive all going on at once..
    Well an update because....I've had it a while now.

I'm using 3 transmitters and three guitars so only one is used at a time, but they are still all using the original batteries and the indicators show plenty of juice.

Once you get the habit of pressing the button as you lift off then on the next guitar it is quite slick and I don't have the drummer asking are you ready Kevin? Because I am.

I miss the ability to set levels between the transmitter outputs so the 335 is way louder than the Strat or Tele, I do mix the PUs a lot on the 335 but the volume controls run about 4-5 while I sometimes find myself with the fenders on full for the rhythem parts and lacking that bit of umpff at lead break time. This is only a problem for me because I switch guitars a lot and I have to resist the temptation to chase volume by cranking the amp or gain elsewhere on the pedal board, volume wars are never the answer in a live situation. I might get a clean boost for the single coils.

Sometimes when first turned on or soon after I get strange noises coming through the signal chain (3 times now). A turn off and on of the Receiver has always sorted it, I guess it selects the nicest chanel better the second time around, anyway it's never been a problem.

There are some bits of sticky pad to hold the transmitter against the guitar body. Presently the units are stiff and I just plug them in without worrying about that.

Am I happy with my purchase and would I recommend it to others, Yes it's a great product from a small British producer.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I use the G10 cos I don't have to worry about batteries - it last a few gigs easy and if it is flat 30 mins in the charger when setting up gives it plenty. No Batteries, no battery pack. Big plus point for me. I had a G30 too in the past.

Also - changing it to another guitar takes seconds and it has a feature which mutes so no nasty buzzes and crackles - I love it for how much it cost - use it at rehearsal and gigs.
  • I have the G50, works for me, have had it for 3 years now.

Have used the G10, and it works, only thing that's dangerous is if someone knocks it then it'll come straight off and break. I use a right angled cable with my G50 to prevent this.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    I’ve had a SmoothHound for several years, and it continues to work well for me.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    holy 4 1/2 year old thread resurrection 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve had a SmoothHound for several years, and it continues to work well for me.
    I can attest that mine continue to function without any concern, they’ve done some gigs now for sure and remain tight so I haven’t added the sticky pads. I just buy AAA batteries at pound shops in bulk and swap them as needed.
    I did sound check and started a gig with a cable a couple of weeks back, had to change to the smooth hound at the end of the first set though.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4730
    Vaiai said:
    I use the G10 cos I don't have to worry about batteries - it last a few gigs easy and if it is flat 30 mins in the charger when setting up gives it plenty. No Batteries, no battery pack. Big plus point for me. I had a G30 too in the past.

Also - changing it to another guitar takes seconds and it has a feature which mutes so no nasty buzzes and crackles - I love it for how much it cost - use it at rehearsal and gigs.
    Ditto. I have 2 G10T transmitters so I can easily swap between them too. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)