New project; Sporkcello 1

What's Hot
So... been playing cello for a year and a half on a Yamaha silent cello. The other cellists who've seen, heard and played it have been quite positive about it, but I think an acoustic cello might be useful. Obviously I could save up for a few years and do the proper thing of buying something made in Austria or Germany in the 17th century, but I've never been keen on the obvious.

Therefore my next build will be a modern acoustic cello. All the basic geometry will be as standard, but I fancy addressing some of the limitations of the classical instrument. This will, naturally, upset some people (bonus!).

I'm going to employ a lot of what little I've learnt about building guitars, but there's still going to be a lot of new techniques - I've never done an acoustic. I'm inspired by this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/72/01/d2/7201d2ede550a50dfcb62e80716c8acf.jpg

But with a hefty dose of this:

http://www.kenparkerarchtops.com/Bubbles/BubblesFull1000.jpg

All informed by this (which just arrived):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41DWS1N29SL.jpg

Bound to be some hilarious cock-ups along the way!

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Someone is bound to say:

It needs a Bigsby

or

a set of EMGs

You must be prepared for suggestions like that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    That is one brave project ! Subscribed ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I should warn you that this'll take a while, and SP4 took 5 years...

It's going to use traditional cello timbers (though I'm not going to worry about a jet black fingerboard), but a guitar/bass style headstock and Hipshot Ultralite tuners - normal cello tuning pegs and fine tuners are fiddly in use, and all that scroll stuff is a bit ornate for me (to make successfully).

I had a think about doing moulded carbon fibre sides but that's an entire extra skillset I don't have so Im planning on building the body like an archtop guitar - no funny corner bits.

I do like the Bigsby idea...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I am full of admiration @Sporky and look forward to your posts....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Wow, that sounds fascinating. I like the look of the cello you posted, can't wait to see yours develop
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    High five the Sporkmeister! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited June 2017
    Ned Steinberger used inward facing guitar/bass tuners, which was good design, but virtually no body, which I am less keen on. https://thinkns.com/instrument/ns-design-electric-cello/ns-design-electric-cello-cr/. I'm hoping you can improve on his design.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    Yup.  I'm onboard
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Subscribed!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited June 2017
    Roland said: hi
    Ned Steinberger used inward facing guitar/bass tuners, which was good design, but virtually no body, which I am less keen on. https://thinkns.com/instrument/ns-design-electric-cello/ns-design-electric-cello-cr/. I'm hoping you can improve on his design.
    I did consider the NS Cello when buying mine, but was put off by the lack of body. It missed reference points that are useful when learning to play. I do like the headstock on it, but my plan is a reverse version of the Sporkbasster One headstock. Gets the tuner pegs away from my head while looking suitably unsettling to traditionalists.

Sporkcello 1 will have a full acoustic body and no electrics, but the body won't be quite traditional.

They plan is to start design now, get all the basic dimensions and geometry down and then fit the body into and around that.

Comments and suggestions most welcome as I go along - I've never but an acoustic or a hollow guitar so there'll be a lot to learn, and probably quite a few tools to make.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader

How interesting and very cool 

Even just planning something like this is impressive....

• Subscribed! 

Don't forget to add a synth pickup ;)
    Subscribed! 

Don't forget to add a synth pickup ;)
    I can't even work a looper at the same time as playing cello!

It probably wouldn't be tricky to add a piezo pickup and capsule mic.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Since you are not averse to "borrowing" unconventional ideas, why not ditch the tailpiece? Anchor your strings through the soundboard in the style of Falbo Guitars.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Interesting idea - I'll have a more detailed look into that. Might affec thte geometry a bit too much - the string angle is meant to be the same at the front and back of the bridge (though I don't yet know if that's just tradition or if it matters more than that).
  • Sporky said:
    the string angle is meant to be the same at the front and back of the bridge (though I don't yet know if that's just tradition or if it matters more than that).
    In my fairly limited violin experience (i.e. restringing daughter's violin a few times and about to start building a solid-bodied one) I'd say the bridge will want to fall over if the angles aren't equal from both sides, unless you use a fixed bridge, guitar style.  You can compensate for a very small difference by leaning the bridge, but not much.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Stick a Floyd on it, divebombing a Cello must sound awesome. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How do you plan on the floyd operating, given that I'll have a bow in my hand?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sporky said:
    You have feet?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    paulnb57 said:
    Sporky said:
    You have feet?
    Winner.
    <space for hire>