New project; Sporkcello 1

What's Hot

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

It would add another significant cost to your project, but the Obrien archtop course might prove invaluable http://www.obrienguitars.com/courses/archtop/

I have his classical course, and whilst the demonstrator is different, the production is superb. Might I also suggest you avail yourself of the Benedetto archtop building book - again not quite a cello, but similar techniques for the carving of the plates.

One significant advantage of building something smaller to start with would be cost of materials - an inadvertent slip with a drill or chisel on a £50 piece of spruce or sycamore is a helluva lot easier to stomach than on a £200-£400 set. You could even have a go at doing an archtop ukulele and use any bit of 'scrap' hardwood, whilst gaining the skills for carving/bridge fitting/etc.

Or scrub all that and go straight for a full carbon fibre body in colour-shift spray finish :)

Good luck with it,

Adam

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    That site's down at the mo but I will have a look later - ta.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Two pages and not a spec of sawdust to be seen.  You must stop teasing us @Sporky and get doing something....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, 'cos the best way to make a cello is to throw sharp bits of steel at bits of wood without any planning...

I've not even bought any of the timber yet. Construction is probably a couple of months away.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Not a lot of progress with other things getting in the way, but I have acquired one of The Strad's cello posters - these have all the critical dimensions from one classic instrument, including carve profiles, top thicknesses and so on. Still going to take a lot of interpretation to go from that to the CAD but it's a start.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    The conceptual design stage doesn't provide many photos, and can take a long time, but is often more important than the actual build.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    pic of the poster might fill the news vacuum .... ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    That is a fair point. I will provide such later.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Sporky said:
    You can get cheap sets for about £80 if you don't mind sounding a bit crap.
    IME, a bit crap is really charitable for £80 for a full set.
    Jalapeno said:
    pic of the poster might fill the news vacuum ....
    Nah. Too sensible for this place. See below:
    Sporky said:
    The trendy thing in the 17th century was to mix some rosin with some varnish (which I assume was made mostly of pig's wee) to add a bit of red to the shade, but my plan at the moment is brushed acrylic.
    I'll wis your post, Sporky, if you'll tell me whether it was the rosin or the pig whizz that gave the red colour. I ask because ’Er Indoors’s is a very deep red, and I want to fantasise about vast vats of porcine pee, perhaps produced in places proximate to Prague prudently re-purposed in its production. :sunglasses:

Then it was definitely the pig's wee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/35483867563_c84c7778ce_b.jpg

’Ers is at the back. That's an awful lot of piggy pee! (The ones in front are *much* newer, probably a century or more, so might not contain any porcine by-products.)

Oh. And in the interests of contributing something worthwhile, I understand it is the done thing to combine two different brands of string. I'll find out which, exactly. 

We had a Silent Cello over at the weekend (with decent strings on it), and she liked it much better than the one we tried years ago in a shop. Maybe that can be borrowed next time she needs amplification, microphones have been dissatisfactory so far, and the fitting of pickups is, well, worrying. :sweat:

Playing an acoustic cello is quite different though - it's so immediate, and they're incredibly loud. I don't think the electric has hampered my learning thus far but an acoustic would probably help it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    I've been deliberately ignoring this thread for a-g-e-s, intending to just drop in at the end and scatter some wows about the place, without having to endure the torture of week-by-week progress shots.

I was pretty sure that it'd all be finished by now, so dropped by with my wows at the ready.

:(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You've got a lot more ignoring to go.
    <cough> poster <cough>

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesomesauce !

Feedback

Phwoar! StripeAy! :sunglasses:

You can't see it from the photos, but the poster demonstrates some of the shortcomings of traditional cello construction (and yet it's still a highly renowned instrument) - in particular, the ribs have cracked where they're glued to the corner blocks because each expands in a different direction with temperature and humidity.

I have some ideas on how to solve that for Sporcello 1. They may not turn out to be good ideas, of course... there have been a lot of attempts to deal with such problems.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    See now I'm just wondering exactly what *would* the synthaxe equivalent of a Cello look like? 
    Red ones are better.