Please Any banjo experts on here? Thn x

What's Hot
stuagustuagu Frets: 334
Sorry if wrong section.  so, got given a banjo by someone and my daughter wants to learn. So, cleaned it up, and i Ordered some fresh strings but... they arent long enough . Two of them wont reach ( well not enough to get it round the tuner properly ) the tuning keys. 
Im wondering if theyre are longer neck banjos that are tuned different and have a different scale and string length hence needing differing strings?  

Thanx in advance for any help . 
Gu 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    There are different sized banjos, just like guitars come in different sizes.
    Did you maybe buy tenor banjo strings?
    Is it a 4 or 5 stringer?
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Thna for reply bud, Its 5 string and its quite big, ... i mean its the same length as astandard telecaster. 
    Just ordered 5 string banjo strings... perhaps its one of these " long neck " banjos? But then i couldnt find long neck banjo strings? 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    A banjo player I used to work with had a long-neck banjo which he had this problem with - he would use single guitar strings and cut the ball end out with a pair of heavy wire-cutters. You have to get it at just the right angle so you don't cut through the string as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144
    stuagu said:
    Sorry if wrong section.  so, got given a banjo by someone and my daughter wants to learn. So, cleaned it up, and i Ordered some fresh strings but... they arent long enough . Two of them wont reach ( well not enough to get it round the tuner properly ) the tuning keys. 

That's God's way of telling you not to play the banjo.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I've twanged a few banjos in my time if you get my drift. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've twanged a few banjos in my time if you get my drift. :-)
    Ewwwww..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Sassafras said:
    Thanx bud. They might do .