Sustain

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
edited June 2017 in FX

Think still got the blues or Parisian walkway or early Santana....

This tone possible at all with a les Paul and a clean "twin" type amp c/w an OD pedal,yeah?

Which pedal bub?

PS no compressors :)

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Compressor and a Boss Blues driver will get you close, don't neglect the finger vibrato and pick attack though, its not all in the pedals

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    Digitech FreqOut claims to allow endless feedback/sustain. eBow might work, although on a bent note like on the songs you mention it might not work very well.

Alternatively, a medium- to high-gain OD pedal, lots of volume and a little pre-gig experimentation with where to stand and where to point the guitar is the old fashioned way.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Humbuckers, tubescreamer, valve amp and proper amount of volume and you'll get infinite sustain. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Rat?
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited June 2017
    Sassafras said:
    Rat?

He's a drummer. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Volume is it really.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A Marshall Guvnor Mk1 will help, but you do need to be loud, it'll not work at bedroom volume.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Lots of volume is a big part of those tones I feel - it gives that big sustain without big muff levels of distortion. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    You can get it to sustain at moderate volumes with the right coaxing and judicious EQ, it doesn't have to be blow your ears out loud
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
      Play in front of a fan , it can help and not a bad idea in the heat we are getting at the moment .
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Make sure you wear rope or leather soled shoes. Your body will absorb the Earth's magnetic energy that might otherwise be blocked by rubber soles. Your hands will become magnetised and act like an e-bow.
  • monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
    Lunar Module into a Minstrel gives me as much sustain as I need at low volumes...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sassafras said:
    Make sure you wear rope or leather soled shoes. Your body will absorb the Earth's magnetic energy that might otherwise be blocked by rubber soles. Your hands will become magnetised and act like an e-bow.
    I be never heard so much nonsense in my life. 

Everyone knows its crystals duh!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Keep the amp bright and knock off a bit of treble at the pedal or guitar tone knob (one will sound better than the other because of the peak).

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Alvin said:
      Play in front of a fan , it can help and not a bad idea in the heat we are getting at the moment .
    He's already got the groupies,
    but the real fans take longer to find...     :o3

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    With a twin type amp you may need a EQ pedal to push the mids a bit more, the Twin is generally very scooped out compared to the classic Marshall sound Gary used, the mids also help sustain

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    If you don't get the chance of using volume or playing directly in front of the amp, an alternative to a pedal is to fit a Fernandes Sustainer to your guitar. They generate sustain at any volume.