Gretsch electromatic pro jet or streamliner

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I'm very close to buying a Gretsch electromatic pro jet but wondered how these compare to the Streamliner series. Are the electromatic pro jets a step up from the Streamliner?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    They are supposed to be. There seems to be a lot of love out there for the Streamliners but amongst the Gretschy communities, people are saying the Projet is a very fine guitar and the best Gretsch there is short of the expensive Japanese stuff. 

No chance of heading to a big stockist and seeing which one you want to bring home?
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Sadly the shops near me only sell the Streamliner range. I'm very tempted to go for it
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited June 2017
    I've got a Streamliner. 
    The 2420 it's the one without a bigbsy and a chromatic tailpiece.

It's one of the most solidly built and brilliant guitars I've ever owned.
    It's currently with Steve Robinson being set up and having a bone nut fitted but that was my own choice it didn't really strictly need that out of the box. The nut was a tiny bit high and needed lowering just a little but not by much.
    The whole guitar is built really well and plays and sounds great.
    The finish (mine is black) is superb. 
    For £390 I'm totally happy with it and not regretted it once in the month or two that I've had it.
    It's definitely a keeper.

I can't comment on pro jets although I did own an electromatic jet club a couple of years ago and this is better quality than that was. 

Hope that's some help.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

One difference if it matters is the Jet has Blackop Filtertrons. Though different to the original Filters, based on something Gretsch did in the 70s. The Streamliners have humbuckers, you can get bucker-sized Filtertrons though if you wanted the Filtertron thing.

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited June 2017
    I've got a Pro Jet - it's a great guitar. Before getting the Pro Jet I tried the small Streamliner and it was a bit meh - but then I don't like playing in shops so...
    They are quite different - Streamliner is full hollowbody.
    The Blacktops are great - much nicer than normal HBs (IMO) they've just got a certain something.
    It has to be said the Bigsby on the Pro Jet is a pain for tuning  - think about having a new nut and maybe bridge.

S/h ProJets can be quite cheap!

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    I'd go for the Pro Jet over a Streamliner. Add a Compton bridge and a Bigsby tuning stabiliser, and you've got a fantastic guitar that compares well to a Duo Jet. 

The Blacktop Filtertrons are excellent if you like a bit of dirt in your tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I have a 5238 ProJet that I modded with 'hot' P90s - fabulous sound; not played a Streamliner though as I already have a semi (guitar lol)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    The pro jet centre block is now in the picture as well