Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2

What's Hot

Comments

• KempGuitarsKempGuitars Frets: 122

The resurrection of the "Pinky Dinky"... Part 2

Unclamped this morning and rough shaped on the bandsaw before getting to work with my 12" long sanding block. Levelled the new wood flush with the paintwork before going at the whole thing (front and back) to remove the best part of the original blue and pink finish. More or less ready for sealing and refinishing now, but that will have to wait a couple of days now...

repair5jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 15022
    Just catching up on this thread.

You manage to find some beautiful pieces of timber!

PME - wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited January 30
    TTony said:
    Just catching up on this thread.

You manage to find some beautiful pieces of timber!

PME - wow.

The Leopardwood/PME build woods were actually supplied by my client... And familiar Thefretboard face @webrthomson very nice examples of very nice exotic woods though, definitely 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 375
    Yup guilty as charged - I've been collecting some more unusual timber for a couple of years, mostly from sources in the USA.

The Leopardwood build is the first outing for some of the collection and Matt @KempGuitars is doing a great job with it! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Yup guilty as charged - I've been collecting some more unusual timber for a couple of years, mostly from sources in the USA.

The Leopardwood build is the first outing for some of the collection and Matt @KempGuitars is doing a great job with it! :)

Thank you sir =) 

Unclamped the top yesterday and unfortunately...

My (spare) router packed up as I did the Pinky Dinky. Got a new one coming today so I'll clean up yours tomorrow and get some more pics up

Excellent stuff - loving seeing this come together!

That 8 string DC is an absolute monster too :)

Is it wrong that I think that looks cool already - never mind your relic’ed – this is full on broken!!!

Excellent stuff - loving seeing this come together!

That 8 string DC is an absolute monster too :)

Is it wrong that I think that looks cool already - never mind your relic’ed – this is full on broken!!!

Nah, this isn't broken... Regular three piece body now. I know most builders would've scrapped that body and started again for the sake of £30 of wood... But this is how most bodies start out so why waste it?

Does look a bit mad like this but I'm thinking a solid burst to refinish =)
    edited February 1
    Coming together nicely, this custom DC thru-neck is now all glued up, including Leopardwood and Ebony laminated top on Alder body wings, and shaped to template...

@webrthomson​​​​​​​
    Looking good - those luminlay dots stand out nicely on the PME board :)

Ebony layer is looking good too - 100% inspired by (well, okay copied from) @Andyjr1515 build for @impmann recently - it looked cracking on that, so I've borrowed the idea for this build too!

Coming together very nicely Matt! :)

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 1849

Ebony layer is looking good too - 100% inspired by (well, okay copied from) @Andyjr1515 build for @impmann recently - it looked cracking on that, so I've borrowed the idea for this build too!

Well, I can guarantee that @Andyjr1515 will, in turn, have copied it from someone else....he's just that kind of guy

;)
    edited February 2
    Looking good - those luminlay dots stand out nicely on the PME board

Coming together very nicely Matt!

Well, I can guarantee that @Andyjr1515 will, in turn, have copied it from someone else....he's just that kind of guy

Well played sir - I thought it made the arm carve look very nice - so I thought I'd flatter you by copying it, well more accurately asking Matt to

Thanks Ross =)

Yep, the Luminlay does stand out nicely. Even more so once the PME darkens down a couple of shades once it's got some oil on it.

Is looking very nice with the Ebony. Wise choice... and a compliment to @Andyjr1515 for the inspiration ;)

The resurrection of the "Pinky Dinky"... Part 3

Sealed and primer on... Who would've known? =)

• Fishman Fluence Modern pups for the custom DC Leopardwood top... @webrthomson Forgot I have to put in a battery box... Could've been a disaster!!!

• The resurrection of the Pinky Dinky... Part 4 - Thought about coming away from the "pink" theme completely but I didn't want to use the neon paint again as I wasn't happy with the product or application. Working with what I already had in terms of paint, I thought about a solid black/white burst. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much black as I'd like so I ordered in some Amaranth Red, in keeping with the pink theme a little... Aye?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited February 13

Not seen the back of the custom DC Leopardwood yet @webrthomson Finished the last of the routing today, here it is ready for hand carving (neck, tummy and forearm contours)...

• Looking amazing Matt - awesome work :)
  • Looking amazing Matt - awesome work :)
    Thanks Ross =) 
  • Nine years building, first time bending a droptop (7mm Flame Maple) over a forearm contour. No cracks thumb 

New custom build (1 of 3 just started) which'll be regularly appearing over the coming weeks...

• The resurrection of the Pinky Dinky... Part 5 - Clear coat on. Next time you see this one, it'll be finished

edited February 19

Next batch of builds on the bench... Maple necks with Flame Maple, Richlite (again) and Wenge fretboards. Bodies in Ash, Sipo, Korina and Sipo with Flame Maple top. Doesn't look too fancy at the moment but they will when "finished" 1f600png

1902182jpg

In the meantime, finally got the Pinky Dinky on the blanket today... Frets sorted and shielding (rear cavity and pup rout) done ready for assembly and setup tomorrow 1f642png

• Introducing the Pinky Dinky 1f601png

Mahogany/Alder 3-and-a-bit-piece SS body, Maple (reverse F-style) neck, Richlite fretboard, Gotoh fixed bridge (Cosmo Black), Gotoh 381 tuners (Cosmo Black), Irongear "Metal Machine" pup and Amaranth Red matte finish

gallery1jpg

gallery2jpg

gallery3jpg

• Started on the hand carving elements of this build today; neck and tummy carve... and this handsome forearm carve. Yep, that's Ebony there :) 

• What's been happening in the Kemp workshop this week so far...

Firstly, sorting out some wood for the new batch of customs just started, including this Ash (custom 7-string SD carvetop) body with Maple neck and Flame Maple fretboard...

And today @webrthomson I've been carving the Leopardwood neck...

Flame Maple and lots of...

Coming in to land...

About to get to work on finishing the Leopardwood DC - been waiting two weeks for Tru-Oil delivery. In the meantime, the latest batch of (Maple) necks now ready for carving. This will be done after the bodies have been routed out and are ready for finishing...

​​​​​​​

Leopardwood thru-neck looking a little bit dull as I finish sand it... @webrthomson ;That'll all change tomorrow ☺ 

​​​​​​​

Nice - can't wait to see this get some Tru-oil on there! :)
    Nice - can't wait to see this get some Tru-oil on there! :)

I'll post pics tomorrow ☺