Quick speaker ohmage question

BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
I'm using a 1x12 extension cab with my 1x12 combo. Both have 8ohm speakers. Is the impedance 4ohm?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Here's the answer - depends if they're wired in series or parallel:

https://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Almost all amps with two speaker jacks have them in parallel. If it's one of the rare ones with them in series it will almost certainly say so, since it would otherwise be assumed that they were parallel.

Short answer: yes, 4 ohms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    You don't state the make / model you have, some manufacturers switch the output transformer tap to 4 ohms, when the extension speaker jack is plugged into the extension socket, whereas others tolerate the impedance mismatch, as IC says almost always in parallel
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    edited July 2017
    @DJH83004 @ICBM The amp is a Carvin XV112. Two speaker jacks, switchable ohmage. Cab used to be a Valvestate combo of some sort (has a Marshall-branded Gold Back in it) wired in parallel.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    So, the internal speaker is 8ohms, the extension cab should have 2x16 ohm speakers in parallel e.g. 8 ohms, therefore plug the extension cab in, and slide the impedance selector to 4 ohms, all good  :)