Recent events in Charlottesville.

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    antifash said:
    Looks like all the answers to America's problems are here! Brilliant. I'll send a link over to Bannon immediately.  He's been waiting for this. Well done everyone. Middle ground with Nazis! That's what we need. Muslims are the problem! Excellent. (I think this is what Trump has been saying, but y'know.) 

I didn't know Paul Watson played guitar in a shit band. 
    Name checks out.

What we really need is to riot and break Starbucks windows right? 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mellowsun said:

Y'all seem to forget that these dudes were once the dominant force in the South, lynching and enslaving with impunity.
    Citation please.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    mellowsun said:

Y'all seem to forget that these dudes were once the dominant force in the South, lynching and enslaving with impunity.
    Citation please.
    Well Stormfront, represented at the Charlottsville demo and in the Vice.com documentary, was founded by Don Black, KKK and American Nazi Party member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Black_(white_supremacist)

Here's a brief history of the KKK's activities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#Activities

The last KKK lynching was in 1981:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#Michael_Donald_lynching

I'm citing wikipedia for convenience but you'll find the same information elsewhere.
    I'm looking for evidence that they were a dominant force and could lynch with impunity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also, I'm not denying that those people exist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    None of this is going to matter when the war with North Korea kicks off.

edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm looking for evidence that they were a dominant force and could lynch with impunity.
    The evidence for that is on the wiki page, e.g.

The Klan soon spread into nearly every southern state, launching a "reign of terror against Republican leaders both black and white. Those political leaders assassinated during the campaign included Arkansas Congressman James M. Hinds, three members of the South Carolina legislature, and several men who served in constitutional conventions".[60]

In 1866, Mississippi Governor William L. Sharkey reported that disorder, lack of control, and lawlessness were widespread; in some states armed bands of Confederate soldiers roamed at will. The Klan used public violence against black people and their allies as intimidation.

In the April 1868 Georgia gubernatorial election, Columbia County cast 1,222 votes for Republican Rufus Bullock. By the November presidential election, Klan intimidation led to suppression of the Republican vote and only one person voted for Ulysses S. Grant.[66]

Klansmen killed more than 150 African Americans in a county in Florida, and hundreds more in other counties. Freedmen's Bureau records provided a detailed recounting of Klansmen's beatings and murders of freedmen and their white allies.[67]

The second Klan was a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men.

Here's an interesting historical perspective:

Union Army veterans in mountainous Blount County, Alabama, organized "the anti-Ku Klux". They put an end to violence by threatening Klansmen with reprisals unless they stopped whipping Unionists and burning black churches and schools. Armed blacks formed their own defense in Bennettsville, South Carolina and patrolled the streets to protect their homes.[71]
    According to your reasoning, the anti-Ku Klux would have been as bad as the KKK, right? Perhaps they should have engaged the KKK in peaceful debate instead ...
    edited August 2017
    mellowsun said:
    According to your reasoning, the anti-Ku Klux would have been as bad as the KKK, right? Perhaps they should have engaged the KKK in peaceful debate instead ...
    Well ... er.. yes... peaceful debate:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kkk-klu-klux-klan-members-leave-black-man-racism-friends-convince-persuade-chicago-daryl-davis-a7489596.html

A black man says he has accidentally persuaded around 200 white racists to abandon the Klu Klux Klan simply by befriending them.

Blues musician Daryl Davis has travelled the US for around three decades, actively seeking out white supremacists as a hobby.

In a new documentary, out this month, the 58-year-old can be seen sitting down beside and joking with cloaked members.

“It’s a wonderful thing when you see a light bulb pop on in their heads or they call you and tell you they are quitting,” said the author, actor and lecturer.

“I never set out to convert anyone in the Klan. I just set out to get an answer to my question: ‘How can you hate me when you don’t even know me’.

“I simply gave them a chance to get to know me and treat them the way I want to be treated.

Interesting stats on the KKK though. I didn't know a lot of that.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kkk-klu-klux-klan-members-leave-black-man-racism-friends-convince-persuade-chicago-daryl-davis-a7489596.html

A black man says he has accidentally persuaded around 200 white racists to abandon the Klu Klux Klan simply by befriending them.

Blues musician Daryl Davis has travelled the US for around three decades, actively seeking out white supremacists as a hobby.

In a new documentary, out this month, the 58-year-old can be seen sitting down beside and joking with cloaked members.

“It’s a wonderful thing when you see a light bulb pop on in their heads or they call you and tell you they are quitting,” said the author, actor and lecturer.

“I never set out to convert anyone in the Klan. I just set out to get an answer to my question: ‘How can you hate me when you don’t even know me’.

“I simply gave them a chance to get to know me and treat them the way I want to be treated.

Likewise, thanks for the link to the Independent article, that's pretty compelling, I'd not read that before.
    edited August 2017
    mellowsun said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Likewise, thanks for the link to the Independent article, that's pretty compelling, I'd not read that before.
    See.... we're communicating! The forums resident SJW and far-right misogynist racist are communicating!! lol 

I think things like that offer evidence to the viewpoint that racism is most often rooted in fear and lack of understanding, as well as lack of exposure. This'll be quote-mined to fuck at some point but I think that racists are not necessarily the evil sub-human nazi's that you'd imagine them as. Sometimes they're broken people who need a lifeboat and compassion.

Okay... ready for my lynching now...
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    See.... we're communicating! The forums resident SJW and far-right misogynist racist are communicating!! lol 

I think things like that offer evidence to the viewpoint that racism is most often rooted in fear and lack of understanding, as well as lack of exposure. This'll be quote-mined to fuck at some point but I think that racists are not necessarily the evil sub-human nazi's that you'd imagine them as. Sometimes they're broken people who need a lifeboat and compassion.

Man ((hugs)) all round!

Going to download and watch that http://accidentalcourtesy.com film also
    mellowsun said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Man ((hugs)) all round!
    Can we have asexual gender queer non-binary hugs instead? Actually no, virtual hugs go against the Github code of conduct so we best leave it!! :lol:
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    Get a chat room, you two. Some of us want to have an argue.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Drew_TNBD said:
    It's terrible. Extremists on all sides, no real leadership, and no appetite to reach any sort of consensus or middle ground.
    What's the middle ground?

If someone is talking nonsense about being replaced by Jews etc. how do you meet them in the middle.

I agree there probably is a middle ground on the economic and social concerns that give these kind of beliefs Oxygen, but how do you meet someone this disturbed in the middle?

Just a thought, but they could send them all to an island where only members of their their crazy little echo chamber are allowed?

I'm sure nobody would object.
    Let me get this right. You want to
    a) forcibly remove them from their homes,
    b) relocate them to some place from where they can't escape, and
    c) put them all in chambers?

Sounds familiar.
    @mellowsun - I tried to PM this to you, but you've got me on ignore which seems to be a mistake on your part.

----

So this is the kind of mentalness I see every now and then:
    https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20882091_343574152732523_260603354230425565_n.jpg?oh=e3f2b656b5332630f8fa8faa14af4da1&oe=5A2C768E

I think righty's should listen to lefty's, and lefty's should listen to righty's. Both hands talking to each other, etc... etc... <insert tired metaphor here>

-----
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    @mellowsun - I tried to PM this to you, but you've got me on ignore which seems to be a mistake on your part.

----

So this is the kind of mentalness I see every now and then:
    https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20882091_343574152732523_260603354230425565_n.jpg?oh=e3f2b656b5332630f8fa8faa14af4da1&oe=5A2C768E

I think righty's should listen to lefty's, and lefty's should listen to righty's. Both hands talking to each other, etc... etc... <insert tired metaphor here>

-----
    Where's this from? These people are clearly nutters. 

Edit: in Weimar Germany, both left and right were killing and bombing. The chaos was one of the triggers for the Nazis gaining power as they promised to restore order.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    mellowsun said:

Edit: in Weimar Germany, both left and right were killing and bombing. The chaos was one of the triggers for the Nazis gaining power as they promised to restore order.

The aforementioned Eric Clanton is a modern example, and coincidentally he has a Weimar-era "Iron Front" tattoo.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    goldtop said:
    The aforementioned Eric Clanton is a modern example, and coincidentally he has a Weimar-era "Iron Front" tattoo.
    I never did think much of his output after Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>