How would one fix this headstock battering?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I wouldn't do anything without checking the crack which runs up to the low E machinehead. Even if it appears not to move there's a good chance it's in the wood and not just the finish… fixing that might be tricky since getting glue into the crack will be the hard part. Surprisingly, superglue is actually very good and very strong for this.

To fix the chip, shave off the damaged area cleanly, glue a new piece of wood to it, reshape and refinish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers ICBM. How would you recommend I get the superglue into the crack?

I've tried to forcibly open the crack - ehe - but it doesn't budge.. I myself am quite concerned it's through the wood.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    superglue wicks very well, especially if you get the really thin superglue. no need to open the crack at all, just let capillary action do its thing 
  • Sweet. So thin super glue and apply lightly in the cracks and let gravity do alllllll the work.. gotcha.

Any brand you'd recommend?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    Thin can be harder to find locally so you may need to order it in, axminster generally carry it

just be careful with it.   its super runny and can easily end up where you dont want it.  it dries quicker than normal superglue and cures quite hot so if you do stick yourself to the guitar the heat will make you want to pull away by which time its already stuck... better to resist the urge to pull away for a few seconds when it will be fully cured and you can slowly debond yourself.  this is much less painful than loosing skin because you instinctively pull away as soon as you feel heat

essentially you want to add a drop at a time to the split  until no more will soak in.  tip the bottle slowly or use a disposable pipette and always be aware of any splash risk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • right that's what I'm gonna do!

thanks Wez... I'm sure the guitar will end up somehow being stuck to my face but it's worth a shot.

can't wait to get this baby up and running. If it doesn't effect structural integrity im gonna leave the chip on the corner.. cus I kinda like it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom