Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quiet enough for home but loud enough for jams.

What's Hot
TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
Another sort of practice amp question. I have a Vox AV30 at home but I want something that I can take away with me. (Needing to spend quite a lot of time at a relatives in Bristol ATM) so quiet and not take up too much space in the car but ideally will be loud enough to hold its own in the practice room at jam sessions to save me carting the AV30 along.

I was thinking of a small valve amp with 0.5 or 1 watt setting, or, would a small modeller be better and which of either comes recommended please?

Or is there just not one solution and I need one for jams and another to take away?

Cost is not the primary consideration, but bearing in mind the more occasional use I don't really want to spend more than a couple of hundred or so.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know this is a very boring answer on almost all these threads. But Boss Katana.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't the Katana 50 close in size and weight to my AV30 and I would guess a Katana Mini wouldn't cut it at a jam.
  • I've got a HT1-R that has great tone and would crank if needs be. What about the VOX AC4TV?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    I'm really very impressed since switching to the Katana head. The internal speaker is great for practice...but put it through a 2x12 and it's a totally different animal! Add all the other features of the Katana in and you can't go wrong.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I've got a HT1-R that has great tone and would crank if needs be. What about the VOX AC4TV?
    Would the HT1-R be loud enough for jams? HT5-R might be a better option, but possibly out of budget? 

If you're wanting something smaller than the Katana, the Yamaha THR amps probably the best bet? Or if you fancy a valve amp you could go with a Bugera V5 - pretty cheap, and has attenuation down to 1 watt. Probably not the greatest tone or quality in the world, but not bad for the price.
  • I'm really very impressed since switching to the Katana head. The internal speaker is great for practice...but put it through a 2x12 and it's a totally different animal! Add all the other features of the Katana in and you can't go wrong.
    I did look at this, but the head is still quite large to take away and needs a cab for decent volume. 

Has anyone used a Bugera v5 infinitum or a Juketone True Blood?
    Would the HT1-R be loud enough for jams? HT5-R might be a better option, but possibly out of budget? 

If you're wanting something smaller than the Katana, the Yamaha THR amps probably the best bet? Or if you fancy a valve amp you could go with a Bugera V5 - pretty cheap, and has attenuation down to 1 watt. Probably not the greatest tone or quality in the world, but not bad for the price.

Thanks @Dontgiveupyourdayjob ;
  • Egnator Tweaker 15 head if you have a cab to play through at rehearsal? Excellent master volume for quiet practice and loud enough to jam with a drummer. And cheap - or the Jet City head that was for sale here for peanuts?
  • Anything with a decent master volume. Probably not a 1W valve amp, which generally have all the same problems as boing valve amps while also being cheaply made.

A Laney VC15 is a good bet, or any of the modern modellers
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    The Laney Cub 10 is very nice. 10" speaker. With 2 x 6V6's, it can put out quite a bit of volume, esp if you use the ext cabinet socket.
  • What about a Marshall Code 25?  They are seriously wee and I've played one belonging to another fretboarder and they have some nifty tones.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

I guess it depends who you are jamming with and what gear they have  ;)
  • What about a Marshall Code 25?  They are seriously wee and I've played one belonging to another fretboarder and they have some nifty tones.
    i have considered a code 25, how do they compare with small valve amps?
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited September 2017
    If you can find one, how about a s/h Vox Pathfinder 15r.

Light, compact and absolutely craps on the ac4tv I had. Goes bloody loud with its own 8" speaker but also has a speaker output which can give even more volume.  Not suitable for metal type stuff though.
  • If you can find one, how about a s/h Vox Pathfinder 15r.

Light, compact and absolutely craps on the ac4tv I had. Goes bloody loud with its own 10" speaker but also has a speaker output which can give even more volume.  Not suitable for metal type stuff though.
    Thanks, but still a bit big. I suppose my original feeling is slowly being answered, you can't have a small transportable amp plus jamming volume / tone in one amp. Closest so far for size, weight and performance seems to be the Code 25.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I doubt the Code 25 can hang with a drummer. Could always mic it I guess 
  • Adamski said:
    I doubt the Code 25 can hang with a drummer. Could always mic it I guess 
    OK, thats useful. what might hang with a drummer and still do quiet-ish home sounds?
  • Laney cub 12.
    It has a less than 1w input and a 15w input.

I used it in my band for 3 years. Cracking amp. Needs a speaker upgrade though. Celestion V works really well.
  • TADodger said:

Light, compact and absolutely craps on the ac4tv I had. Goes bloody loud with its own 10" speaker but also has a speaker output which can give even more volume.  Not suitable for metal type stuff though.
    Thanks, but still a bit big. I suppose my original feeling is slowly being answered, you can't have a small transportable amp plus jamming volume / tone in one amp. Closest so far for size, weight and performance seems to be the Code 25.
    If that's too big then the next thing I would say is the ZT lunchbox (or lunchbox junior). Tiny and monstrously loud if you want it. You'll probably want a pedal or two with it though.

I've not tried a Code yet but it does sound like it might be suitable too.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663

Good shout. Having heard Fred's Pathfinder, I can vouch for how ridiculously loud it is for a solid-state amp rated at 15W. Not too big either.

How about a s/h Roland Cube 20 or 40? Fairly lightweight and may have master volume or low wattage setting depending on the exact model.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it