Bah! Band given me the boot

What's Hot
GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
I have no idea why!

I did ask the bassist (who was tasked with telling me) and he confirmed there is someone else.

The main reason for ditching me..."we want somebody to play the songs the same every time..."

Annoying thing is I would consider most of the band members pretty good mates.  Bassist used to give me lifts both ways for practice - 1/2 hour round trip each way!

This is rubbish.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited February 2014
    I know nothing of you and your band, so am making a general observation.  Only thing you should think about is does he have a point?

I've played in bands with guys who seem to be jamming along and playing different parts all the time, and whilst I'm always up  for changing and evolving songs, generally there's a time and place for it.   Alternatively they do it, cos they havent learnt the song properly.   In both cases, the band isn't tight, and you don't get a sense of togetherness IMO. 

As I said, I have no clue if either of those applies to you, it's just my experience in these matters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    thomasw88 said:
    I know nothing of you and your band, so am making a general observation.  Only thing you should think about is does he have a point?

I've played in bands with guys who seem to be jamming along and playing different parts all the time, and whilst I'm always up  for changing and evolving songs, generally there's a time and place for it.   Alternatively they do it, cos they havent learnt the song properly.   In both cases, the band isn't tight, and you don't get a sense of togetherness IMO. 

As I said, I have no clue if either of those applies to you, it's just my experience in these matters. 
    I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse.

I'm (or was :p) the lead guitarist, so of course every time I play songs they may be slightly different.  We were pretty tight, nothing was mentioned at all before.  

It's just a massive surprise to me - found out tonight by text!

I reckon it's "we found this guy who's not as good but we don't have to give him lifts and he already knows most of the songs."

I always try to think "I don't think I am wrong but what if I am...".

It just feels wrong to me.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Well if it's just an excuse then for that reason then it's poor on then side. Especially to do it by text if you d played with them for a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    It's an experience that most of us will have at some point in their band-playing lives ... not good enough, or too good, or wears the wrong colour shoes, or lives too far away, or wants to play different stuff, or doesn't have a red guitar, or ... take your pick, but the reason doesn't really matter.

Move on, there's another band around the corner looking for you.  

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    TTony said:
    It's an experience that most of us will have at some point in their band-playing lives ... not good enough, or too good, or wears the wrong colour shoes, or lives too far away, or wants to play different stuff, or doesn't have a red guitar, or ... take your pick, but the reason doesn't really matter.

Thanks for that :)

• MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited February 2014
    It doesn't matter why or how, it always hurts to be fucked in the arse. Sorry, what was the question again....?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    TTony said:
    or ... take your pick

:)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GIJoe said:
    "we want somebody to play the songs the same every time..."

So have they replaced you with a backing track then?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So have they replaced you with a backing track then?
    I worked with people who should have been replaced with a backing track.
  • Live music should be creation not re- creation.
    Maan. :o3

I have been sacked from a band, although probably would have gone had they not sacked me first. At least part, if not the whole, of the reason was that the guy running the band wanted to move his mate in. But that wasn't what he said. FFS this was a middle aged optician/ keyboardist so quite why the need to play games I don't know.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited February 2014
    @EricTheWeary, replaced by an optician: I bet you didn't see that coming? :P
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited February 2014
    Shoulda gone to SpecSavers.

To the OP fuck them and you dodged a bullet with shitty behaviour like that. Sounds like they have no scruples at all and did it all wrong.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds super fishy to me.. especially if they didn't mention or have the balls to talk to you about these supposed issues before hand.

They wouldn't of given you the boot if they didn't already have someone lined up.. who wants to kick out their only guitarist with no backup.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

At their next gig, turn up and throw skid marked underwear at them.

Yes I am evil

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GIJoe said:
    thomasw88 said:

I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse.

I'm (or was :p) the lead guitarist, so of course every time I play songs they may be slightly different.  We were pretty tight, nothing was mentioned at all before.  

It's just a massive surprise to me - found out tonight by text!

I reckon it's "we found this guy who's not as good but we don't have to give him lifts and he already knows most of the songs."

I always try to think "I don't think I am wrong but what if I am...".

It just feels wrong to me.
    How do you know he's not as good as you?

He could be better! Also he might have lovely hair. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited February 2014
    Also, giving people lifts all the time drains band members.
    It is always better if people can organise their own transport and be on time with it.

Sorry to hear you've been ousted though- make sure you find something else soon.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    TTony said:

Nah, he said lead guitarist not Guitarist, Bassist or Drummer ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I'll go with the 'transport' issue as a bind for others, it might be half an hour for you but unless the driver lives next door it takes him longer and eats up his limited time between work and rehearsal.

Also don't shit everywhere, these people will be moving in the same musicians circles and being a whinny git to the local musicians does nothing for your employability and you may well meet and work with one or more of them in the future. Thank the bass player for all the lifts (it might make him feel guilty) and say see you around.

I sympathise with your angst though, being sacked by text is an underhanded way of dealing with someone if they hadn't talked through issues with you before. Go find that better band, good luck.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Ah. Not just me then...

Our singer announced that he didn't feel the band was gelling and that as a result he was taking the bass player and drummers with him for "a new project" leaving myself and the other guitarist behind. A week or so later the other guitarist is back in, there's a new guitarist, and they're playing gigs booked before the split under the old name.

I'd honestly have preferred it if the other guys had said "you suck" (which in fairness I do to some extent) and fired me rather than going through that pantomime, particularly as it's actually the second time I've been sacked from what is to all intents and purposes the same band...

Ah well, onwards and upwards (or at least sideways) and all that...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The thing you have to realise is most musicians are in some way socially deficient, snivelling cowards who will always take the easy way out. The vast majority are also stupid.

I include myself in the above. You've just got to realise it, and appreciate the times it all actually comes together despite the best efforts on the part of the musicians to fuck it up.

It's just the downside to dealing with musicians. And it's why I'm in a band with a computer programmer, a business man and a van driver - it's easy when I'm the only arty twat.