Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 15081
    @tekbow ;

Welcome to theFretBoard - and thanks for taking the time to read through the New Members section and  do the intros.
    :)

Gear pics are *always* welcome in the guitar, amp and/or FX sections, either separately or all together depending on how  much there is, and how wide your camera lens angle is!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 63

@TTony;

Thanks mate, there's a variety of stuff in every category, but i'll stick it all in one thread in Guitars.

Cheers and beers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• I'm 56 years old and have been playing since I was 13. I'm from Rotherham, and used to play the local circuit in the late 70's and early 80's with an original music band around the same time as Def Leppard - remember the days when they were trying to cadge a smoke - we were all skint back then, even though beer was only 48p a pint :)

I've not played much in the past 7 years, mainly due to some nasty sports injuries and other things have taken a priority.
    Back in the Music Radar days, the community helped me though the injuries and I'll always be grateful for that.
    I also met some very decent and well respected members from the old forum that are still contributing now.

I've had more time to get back in to playing recently, and am regaining my past form, but have no plans to play live.

I'm obsessed with guitars, and have owned far too many - anyone outside a community like this would think I'm a total nutmeg - I can waffle on for hours about the minute details. But as the saying goes, if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything - or at least I try :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 67
    Hi folks

Why am I here.  Well basically as someone just getting started but also being in my early 50's I have all the noob questions that you would expect.  This seemed like a great place to pick up information and also to be part of and share my journey with ( assuming anyone is interested :) )

I'm also sure that the Classified section will come into play as the phrase 'all the gear but no idea' seems like it was created just waiting for me to come along and fulfil the prophecy.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 216
    Paul7926 said:
    Hi folks

Why am I here.  Well basically as someone just getting started but also being in my early 50's I have all the noob questions that you would expect.  This seemed like a great place to pick up information and also to be part of and share my journey with ( assuming anyone is interested :) )

I'm also sure that the Classified section will come into play as the phrase 'all the gear but no idea' seems like it was created just waiting for me to come along and fulfil the prophecy.
    I'd be interested in your journey Paul.

I started to learn back in March (acoustic) at the age of 51, now looking to delve into the world of electric.  I'd describe my progress as slow and procrastinatory but as I've felt I've not really got a musical bone in my body the fact that I can actually strum a few chords together has astounded me.

Because I now enjoy using the chords I know I tend to stick to them and the ones I find more difficult or more obscure I find I can't be arsed with, likewise learning scales, chord theory etc. I'm hoping this changes with time because I know it must if I'm to improve.

But right now I'm just loving the fact I can play a bad version of Pretty Vacant!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1888
    Hi @Paul7926 I will also follow your journey. I'm near Portsmouth and after really enjoying the fretboard jams I've been to at Woking and Hertford I'm thinking about next year sorting something out for the proper southerners if you are interested. There's a fair few dotted from Dorset to East Sussex way and on the Isle of Wight. Just need to persuade @markblagdon and @Bridgehouse to get passports as they are pretty useful for that sort of thing : )
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 67
    Thanks @Shrews & @munckee ;

@Shrews I can relate to your excitement about Pretty Vacant as I can murder the chords to Highway to Hell just well enough that it sounds something like it's supposed to (sorta).

@munckee That sounds too advanced for me at the moment but you never know what progress might be made in the intervening time.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1888
    Paul7926 said:
    Thanks @Shrews & @munckee ;;

@Shrews I can relate to your excitement about Pretty Vacant as I can murder the chords to Highway to Hell just well enough that it sounds something like it's supposed to (sorta).

@munckee That sounds too advanced for me at the moment but you never know what progress might be made in the intervening time.
    If you can play open chords you'll do @ paul7926!  Seriously we played on sunday and there were people improvising solos and others (mostly me!) playing basic rhythm.  Great thing is we all got to play together.  No minimum level of achievement required, the sense of achievement in playing along with a song however is massive.