Ebay fun - returns!!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• I've made a payment from my bank account but it's saying 5-7 days, which is rediculous, as it's instantaneous when I make a payment through ebay. 
    Think it's because it's a payment to PayPal, rather than a purchase on eBay. 
    Even if I do friends and family it's instant.

It's probably because the dispute got opened and therefore ebay took money and PayPal went into a negative balance (as I'd transferred the sale amount to the bank). 

@Poopot - the reading are in the thread. Believe one pup is out by 0.1 and the other 0.7 down on 8.4k.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited November 2017
    The description (manu spec)  says that the neck is 7.3 k and the bridge 8.4 k.

The neck is measured at 7.4 k, the bridge was measured at 7.7 k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

@Poopot - the reading are in the thread. Believe one pup is out by 0.1 and the other 0.7 down on 8.4k.
    Yep, just reading back over all the posts... 
    noticed that you had them already fitted in a guitar you bought... are they deffo mules? I know bkp don’t mark what they are. iirc just says bare knuckle on the baseplate.
  • This thread is going round in circles.
    Yes, def mules... 

More than happy for a refund as the buyer is not happy that the pups are not as per manufacturer readings on there website, that I quoted. 

I'm screwed on postage, PayPal locked because of dispute raised. 

End of. 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Out of interest the Stormy Monday pickup's specs state 7.7k ohms as DC resistance.
    I'm NOT saying it's the case here but you could see that if someone thought they had bought a guitar with Mules but had bought one with Stormy Mondays how hard it would be to check by simply looking at the label.
    You do have to revert to multi-meters and even then you can be still in doubt
    I do feel Bare Knuckle could avert some of this by simple labelling
    If the neck P/U was 7.2k ohms then it may be a overspec Stormy Monday 

Stormy Monday
    • Position: Bridge
    • DC Resistance: 7.7 kΩ
    • Magnet: Alnico 2
    • Position: Neck
    • DC Resistance: 7.1 kΩ

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://imgur.com/gallery/ryoEB

The offending open Mules... 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27477
    Ossyrocks said:
    Guys, I’m a member of this forum. Many of you are saying and implying lots of things about me which are frankly unpleasant. 

I've been keeping an eye on this thread from the moment that @Ossyrocks put his head above the parapet and admitted that he was the eBay buyer.    He didn't need to do that, so he's a brave man.

The thread had all the potential to turn into a nasty witch hunt.

My reading of it is that it absolutely hasn't.

It has evolved into an interesting and very informative discussion on the factors that can cause variance in pickup resistance and the likely accuracy of manufacturer's quoted numbers. 

There's been a bit of discussion about whether that number is in itself hugely valuable in determining how a pickup will sound, or compare against a similar unit. 

It's also   been an interesting "other side of the story" from the usual tales of eBay buyers who make any excuse to return something - the experiences that we usually read here.

As I read it, @ossyrocks comes out of it with a lot of credit for his initial hands-up and subsequent comment.  The OP likewise has been perfectly reasonable throughout, and we've had a lot of interesting info and opinion shared by those with a lot of knowledge and experience.   

OK, so some may think that rejecting a pickup on the basis of a resistance reading varying from the expected value is missing part of the point of what makes a pickup sound the way it does, but I don't read anything that's been insulting from anyone who's raised that point.

I'm a -very- interested objective reader rather than an involved party, so I guess I'll read things slightly differently, but I don't see any insults intended to anyone posted by anyone.    If I did, I'd have intervened with my admin hat on - which is why I'd started watching the thread when it was started.

But if I've missed something, let me know.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719

It's a shame that an Ebay dispute was opened for this - there's no need unless the seller 'cuts up rough' on contact.

I've had a few issues over the years and always contact the seller first to arrange a return - it's always been amicable.

I think you will also get a defect on your Ebay account.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Out of interest the Stormy Monday pickup's specs state 7.7k ohms as DC resistance.
    I'm NOT saying it's the case here but you could see that if someone thought they had bought a guitar with Mules but had bought one with Stormy Mondays how hard it would be to check by simply looking at the label.
    You do have to revert to multi-meters and even then you can be still in doubt
    I do feel Bare Knuckle could avert some of this by simple labelling
    If the neck P/U was 7.2k ohms then it may be a overspec Stormy Monday 

Stormy Monday
    • Position: Bridge
    • DC Resistance: 7.7 kΩ
    • Position: Neck
    • DC Resistance: 7.1 kΩ
    I reckon you are right, and I imagine the BKP response will be along the same lines
    Was just about to sugest stormy Monday’s.
  • http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/90833/withdrawn-gibson-les-paul-r0-fender-cs-1960s-tsb-light-relic-strat#latest

@ttony - thanks, I don't this as a witch hunt or a slight at anyone. It's become an interesting discussion.

• On a positive I've managed to get a thread to 1.7k.

Keep going and it will match the pickups.. 
    22reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    https://imgur.com/gallery/ryoEB

Just look at them, acting like butter wouldn't melt, after all the trouble they've caused.... smug little bastards.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Philly_Q said:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/ryoEB

Just look at them, acting like butter wouldn't melt, after all the trouble they've caused.... smug little bastards.
    Are they the original boxes?  Do they have the document inside?

BKP may be rubbish at labelling Pickups but the boxes and certificate are normally labelled accurately
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27477
    On a positive I've managed to get a thread to 1.7k.

Particularly if the weather stays cold over the weekend ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    On a positive I've managed to get a thread to 1.7k.

beaten by the Joe B thread tho’... and he’d be able to tell if they were correct spec just by sniffing them :)
  • Now there's a challenge - we can have a thread about sniffing pickups.

Could be a bit like the competition to guess the car by listening to the sound of the horn
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I certainly meant no offence to buyer or seller, but having been through all these issues myself, I thought sharing some info could be interesting.

Telling Alnico 2 from Alnico 4 or Alnico 5 is pretty hard from what I can tell - maybe easier if you have a gauss meter but even then it all depends on how charged the alnico is (beyond that you'd need to be a metallurgist to experiment to determine composition of the magnets).
    I know Ash at Oil City has often written on magnets with permanent marker to identify them in the future for just this reason.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Any metallurgists on here to experiment to determine composition of the magnets? :-) 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm so glad I mostly play acoustic these days.