Ebay fun - returns!!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    pia98jf said:
    Philtre said:
    I thought "no returns" meant exactly that? My takeaway from this is never sell on eBay and be selective about the quality/sanity of buyers.

It means no returns if the buyer just changes their mind. But if the buyer says the item is faulty or not as described they are eligible for a refund. eBay will pretty much always side with the buyer where there’s any doubt.
    It effectively means a buyer can always get a return through eBay by simply raising a technicality. Whether that’s what happened here depends on your opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    poopot said:
    Philly_Q said:

Ah, but the one on the left looks like it's in direct sunlight and the one on the right looks like it's in the shade... call that a scientific test?  ;-)
    Just to throw a spanner in the works... both pics were taken last night... no sunlight involved!... :)
    Ah, now you're just making excuses, what about those shadows.... it's like the Moon landings.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I actually think this has turned into a reasonably useful thread.

I've learned never to sell pups on ebay unless I quote the exact measurement (buying a multimeter) or to distance myself away from or caveat the manufacturer website specs, which possibly have a tolerance.

I still don't have a clue about output v resistance though :-) 
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, if someone wants a return, they'll get a return, they can say anything. They could say they want a return because their dead nan doesn't like the colour of the bobbin, eBay would still side with the buyer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited November 2017
    Guys, I’m a member of this forum. Many of you are saying and implying lots of things about me which are frankly unpleasant. Look at my posts here, check me out elsewhere, I have never and will never be considered a timewaster. 
    The plain fact is, I bought some pickups on eBay and the bridge pickup is not per specification, whether or not you agree with that is irrelevant, but it’s something I’m not happy with, so we have agreed a return. What is so outrageous about this that some of you are compelled to say the things you have?

Rob
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't worry, it's probably just because what you've done is absolutely ridiculous.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Interesting thread. I've had Fender CS Fat 50s, 69s, 65s, Texas Specials, various Seymour Duncan and bar one of the CS 69s, none of them have matched the manufacturers DC measurements. I mainly measure them out of interest, but I go by what they sound like ultimately. My multi-meter is nothing special, but it seems to read 1% resistors correctly so I assume it's calibration is good enough?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    I just find it odd that you're returning them when you haven't even tried them. As several of us have said, you can't 'read' too much into a DC resistance measurement, since both the resistance itself can be affected by several factors without there being any real difference in the pickup, and even if there's a genuine difference it does not necessarily correspond to the output or tone of the pickup since there are still other factors which you can't as easily directly measure.

It's entirely possible that these "lower output" pickups could be *more* powerful than "higher output" ones if all you're going by is the DC resistance. They might sound better, even.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I just find it odd that you're returning them when you haven't even tried them. As several of us have said, you can't 'read' too much into a DC resistance measurement, since both the resistance itself can be affected by several factors without there being any real difference in the pickup, and even if there's a genuine difference it does not necessarily correspond to the output or tone of the pickup since there are still other factors which you can't as easily directly measure.

It's entirely possible that these "lower output" pickups could be *more* powerful than "higher output" ones if all you're going by is the DC resistance. They might sound better, even.
    I understand what you are saying. I’m aware of the factors which can affect how a pickup sounds and it’s output. I did a video demonstrating this exact thing and posted it here, where I swapped out Alnico 2 magnets for some Alnico 4’s in a set of Antiquities. 

I already have a set of Mules, the bridge measures 8.5k, and I know how it performs. With these particular pickups, you would expect most things to be relatively equal, but at only 7.7k it isn’t going to perform in the same way, and rather than spend the time and effort fitting them, only to discover what I suspect to be the case and in the process, lose my right to return, I am returning them, fully insured, at my cost. At the end of the day, I’m actually down more money than the seller too.

I don’t see why this is such a big deal to a lot of people here, and certainly doesn’t warrant the insults.

Rob
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:

I already have a set of Mules, the bridge measures 8.5k, and I know how it performs. With these particular pickups, you would expect most things to be relatively equal, but at only 7.7k it isn’t going to perform in the same way
    How do you know? If there is a genuine difference in resistance it could be because the particular batch of wire used is very slightly larger diameter - that has a tolerance too. The pickup could then have exactly the same number of turns, and it will still have a noticeably lower DC resistance.

Ossyrocks said:

rather than spend the time and effort fitting them, only to discover what I suspect to be the case and in the process, lose my right to return, I am returning them, fully insured, at my cost.
    Why would you lose your right to return? They're second hand anyway, it's not as if you're fitting new pickups so the wires would no longer be pristine. On Ebay you have something like 45 days to return.

Ossyrocks said:

I don’t see why this is such a big deal to a lot of people here, and certainly doesn’t warrant the insults.
    I don't think it's a big deal, I'm just completely baffled by why you want to cost yourself time and money for something that you don't even know for sure yet is the case, all because you measured the DC resistance, which is simply the most easily measurable but one of the least significant factors in the tone of a pickup.

You *may* be right. In which case then return them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Just playing devils advocate... and not wanting to be an arse whatseover... what if a new mule from bare knuckle turns up on your doorstep and is 7.7k, yes I know you can return it but it would still be in the 10% spec wouldn't it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I'm also unclear why everyone is getting so worked up

Mrs B returns a metric ton of stuff she's bought on the internet every week.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited November 2017
    If you that damned picky about wanting top top spec Rob - buy direct and not used from ebay...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don't have a major issue with Rob returning these, they'e not what he wants as they're different to the manufacturer specs. 

To Brighouse point and a totally different point - I'm not an online retailer and there I don't have an unwanted returns policy. 

But the rub on this is and my issue now... 

£7.25 special delivery, that I've lost (I know, it's
     a couple of pints!!). 

However, PayPal has now been locked as this was done through a 'not as described dispute', rather than just emailing me. 

To unlock PayPal I've had to refund the £130.
    However a transfer to PayPal takes 5-7 days.

When I get the pups back Rob will get an immediate refund, as I'll hit the button on ebay and eBay will refund Rob. 

I'll still have a locked PayPal account for the next 5-7 days (and the missus wants to use it to buy presents, which she can't now do).

Brilliant situation and I'm sure everyone and Rob will agree I've done absolutely nothing wrong!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    Which goes back to the fundamental mistake of selling anything on Ebay, since a buyer can raise this sort of dispute for any reason, legitimate or not…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Cork-sniffer's remorse'. Is that a thing?   B)
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    edited November 2017
    @bgmartinsbridge you can do a bank transfer from your bank to paypal, and its instant........so you can then start using paypal as normal .

You do it within Paypal............click on Wallet - then in the Paypal Balance box, click "add money"......it will then take you through the steps  
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    To be fair, I can see the buyers point of view here, after being in a similar situation myself.

I bought a Custom Shop strat on eBay the other day. As anyone would, I got my ruler and digital calipers out straight away when it arrived. Unfortunately the neck measued 1mm thinner than the manufacturers advertised spec. I've not even bothered to play it to see if it's any good, as I know the loss of 1mm will make it sound awful. It's gone straight back in the case and I've opened a "not as described" dispute with the seller, who I'm sure will understand. 

:-P 
    23reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Just out of interest... what did the neck pickup measure?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    think the neck p/u was 0.1k ohm less than printed spec

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!