Acoustic playing

JetfireJetfire Frets: 521
So for a new project im doing acoustic versions of some more modern pop songs with some older stuff too. One song that is troubling me is this:

Main verse chords seem to be G min,  E.g., F maj and D major.

What I'm struggling with is using a E major bar chord for the G minor (root on 3rd fret E) and Eb being an A shape (root on 6th fret A)

Any suggestions or advice? Potentially we can shift the key but I wanted to give it a go in its "standard" key 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• I don't know the song but for typical pop songs I usually use a capo to tackle tricky barre chord shapes, esp when I teach beginners so they don't have to do them at the start.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 4411
    edited December 2017
    I’m not sure what the issue is. Is it that the Eb has too high a voicing? It’ll be a bigger problem for your bassist, because he/she will really want to go downwards that 3rd to the Eb chord. For you, I don’t really understand the issue - just play the chords exactly as you’ve described - yes it means the Eb ‘sounds higher’ than the G but it’s just a different voicing, it’s an idiosyncracy of the guitar. If you’ve got a keyboard player, he/she can provide the descending line. 

Other options:

Check out how Ritchie Blackmore tackles it with his 2-note chords (Man on the silver mountain, All night long, etc). 

Transpose it up a semitone in g# minor. 

Transpose it down a semitone in f#m and play the D thumb-over to get its bass note as low as possible - that’s probably one of the most common ways of playing that particular i-vii-vi progression. Or do it in e minor of course. 

Or you could play the Eb in 1st inversion which will sound a bit odd but at least give it as low a bottom note as possible. 3 1 1 3 4 x , or the C-shape Eb/G 365343