Matamp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 391
    Well @Exorcist that's quite a list but you've outlines some interesting points (including the main weakness of EL84s).

PPIMV is something I've been shifting too - it was on a lot of oranges & matamps back a few years but fell out of favour...no idea why.

The other thing you can do with the big amps is run lower internal voltage on the plates. You can turn a 100w 4xEL34 head into a 35w head. 

Watch this space....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 391

@teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?
    I've seen a few guys who amps with 2 EL84's in the power amp section and a Model T preamp and I think a 20/30w GT120 would be equally appealing to doom fans. 
    One thing I try and avoid is copying others.... inspiration though is allowed. 

The trouble with EL84s is while they do chime, they don't do bass which rather rules them out for the doom guys, now 6V6s on the other hand offer some potential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter