Matamp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 400
    Well @Exorcist that's quite a list but you've outlines some interesting points (including the main weakness of EL84s).

PPIMV is something I've been shifting too - it was on a lot of oranges & matamps back a few years but fell out of favour...no idea why.

The other thing you can do with the big amps is run lower internal voltage on the plates. You can turn a 100w 4xEL34 head into a 35w head. 

Watch this space....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

@teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?
    I've seen a few guys who amps with 2 EL84's in the power amp section and a Model T preamp and I think a 20/30w GT120 would be equally appealing to doom fans. 
    One thing I try and avoid is copying others.... inspiration though is allowed. 

The trouble with EL84s is while they do chime, they don't do bass which rather rules them out for the doom guys, now 6V6s on the other hand offer some potential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 995
    as Matamp are unlikely to re-do the mini-verb (despite begging and pleading) would Matamp consider making the circuit / details public so that someone else could build one if they wanted, as Matamp won't make them any more it's not like it would take business away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1422

@teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?
    I've seen a few guys who amps with 2 EL84's in the power amp section and a Model T preamp and I think a 20/30w GT120 would be equally appealing to doom fans. 
    One thing I try and avoid is copying others.... inspiration though is allowed. 

The trouble with EL84s is while they do chime, they don't do bass which rather rules them out for the doom guys, now 6V6s on the other hand offer some potential.
    As a matamp owner and doom player, I don’t play any EL84’s amps...whether it’s the tubes or circuits, but probably a combination of the two and transformers...the amps all sound weak and don’t do well with fuzz...for my kinda tones anyway. On the other...I own a 6v6 combo at home (tweed deluxe clone) and that thing is great...so in short...I agree with Hayden
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 30
    Hayden.......you know how long I have had my two Matamps!

They are the only amps I play through and having friends in the music trade I have tried everything out there but the 1224GT is my sound. It took a long time to realise "I sounded like me" but everything else just doesn't have the chime, dynamics, openness and feel of my amp.

I use it on One output valve at home in Class A/B and it ALWAYS makes me smile no matter what I put through it.

As an aside, no matter what guitar I use they sound like they should without having to do any EQ changes. After playing a 335 and then plugging in a Tele it sounds exactly like a Tele and all I have to do is raise the volume because of the weaker pickups.

I can't get my head around that because I haven't had another amp that can do that. I'm not complaining!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TA22GT said:

They are the only amps I play through and having friends in the music trade I have tried everything out there but the 1224GT is my sound. It took a long time to realise "I sounded like me" but everything else just doesn't have the chime, dynamics, openness and feel of my amp.

I use it on One output valve at home in Class A/B and it ALWAYS makes me smile no matter what I put through it.

As an aside, no matter what guitar I use they sound like they should without having to do any EQ changes. After playing a 335 and then plugging in a Tele it sounds exactly like a Tele and all I have to do is raise the volume because of the weaker pickups.

I can't get my head around that because I haven't had another amp that can do that. I'm not complaining!!

Is that you Brian? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Certainly is !  =)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 4926
    TA22GT said:

Is that you Brian? 

-I'm Brian, and so's my wife. 
  • TA22GT said:
    Certainly is !  =)
    We met a couple of times at the factory, Paul's the name,

I still maintain that your modded 1224 is the best Matamp I've played.

Hope you're well? 
    TA22GT said:
    Certainly is !  =)

Hope you're well? 

Hi Paul I certainly do remember you! Did you have a Kingseat Combo? I hope you are well too mate.

Do you remember me showing you how the footswitch worked when it was labelled "Input"  because that's what it was doing by switching from Low to Hi input?  They then totally cocked it up by labelling it Boost!! That made it so difficult to understand the switching options!

They copied my 1224 and made it in to the 1224GT.  One day I was at the factory and casually asked Hayden if it was possible to increase the power from around 50 watts to 75-80 to give it more headroom. I was in a rush to get away but he quickly changed some fairly large capacitors on the top board and told me to try it when I got home. He gave me the original ones to solder back if I didn't like it. 
    Well that did the trick with my amp. It sounded so much bigger without actually being louder, so much wider and open and it's been like that ever since. They haven't heard it since but it still makes me smile when I plug in to it. 

Glad to see you are still around! =)
  • TA22GT said:
    TA22GT said:
    Certainly is !  =)

Hope you're well? 

Hi Paul I certainly do remember you! Did you have a Kingseat Combo? I hope you are well too mate.

Do you remember me showing you how the footswitch worked when it was labelled "Input"  because that's what it was doing by switching from Low to Hi input?  They then totally cocked it up by labelling it Boost!! That made it so difficult to understand the switching options!

They copied my 1224 and made it in to the 1224GT.  One day I was at the factory and casually asked Hayden if it was possible to increase the power from around 50 watts to 75-80 to give it more headroom. I was in a rush to get away but he quickly changed some fairly large capacitors on the top board and told me to try it when I got home. He gave me the original ones to solder back if I didn't like it. 
    Well that did the trick with my amp. It sounded so much bigger without actually being louder, so much wider and open and it's been like that ever since. They haven't heard it since but it still makes me smile when I plug in to it. 

Glad to see you are still around! =)
    I had a 1224 Mk1 at the time we met....and then bought Rob Stobb's GT1. 

I remember you taking the time to explain your amp to me, particularly the input foot switching.

I also remember the frustrations in trying to get what I humbly considered to be a flagship amp, the 1224GT, off the ground. Your generosity in lending them the original was a real touch of class, that I remember to this day. 

I too am really pleased to see you around and about. 

My best regards to you Brian.

Paul.
    Thanks for your kind comments Paul. We were on the same wave length in our tone search and thankfully I am lucky enough to have found mine. 
    I don't use a lot of gain so the amp always sounds big and uncompressed. There's nowhere to hide but it's actually made me a better player in that I learned to hear what I was actually playing!
    Regards, Brian
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1491
    edited April 13
    Why are all the Matamp logo iterations so damn cool?
    AmberGuitar quality parts for Fender and Gibson
    Hi Brian long time no see! Welcome aboard @TA22GT ;

@streethawk one of these days we will decide on a logo....

@ourmaninthenorth not seen you for a good while either!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hi Brian long time no see! Welcome aboard @TA22GT ;

@streethawk one of these days we will decide on a logo....

@ourmaninthenorth not seen you for a good while either!
    @Van_Hayden  still knocking about Hayden, hope you're well? Send my regards to buggerlugs will you? 

See you at Haydock if you're about. 
    Not at Haydock but Ill call pass on your regards!