I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    simon said:

Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.

Tempted to LOL or Wiz, but I actually like both versions - hers is very different and is more to do with Mark Ronson I suspect.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 3745
    edited December 2017
    Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    likewise - will try and find it now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30242
    robinbowes said:

Tempted to LOL or Wiz, but I actually like both versions - hers is very different and is more to do with Mark Ronson I suspect.
    That's true. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I really dislike her version because it's clear from the way she sings it that she has no understanding or feeling for the lyrics - although to be fair it was an odd choice anyway given that it's a man's song to a woman.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 3970

Not quite "didn't know" in that I wasn't really aware of the song at the time I was asked to learn the chords to accompany a friend, but I was surprised to find out that Adele's Make You Feel My Love was written by Bob Dylan.
    CEO ACME Moats Inc.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 7516
    Singer in one of my bands introduces Hard to Handle as a Black Crowes song....and I Fought the Law as a Clash song....both wrong!
    The singer in my band used to introduce Venus as a Bananarama song!

I had to explain to her that there's no such thing as a Bananarama song...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1294
    "Madness" by Prince Buster NOT Madness. Keeping with this band, "It Must Be Love" by Labi Siffre

www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • Kebabkid said:
    "Madness" by Prince Buster NOT Madness. Keeping with this band, "It Must Be Love" by Labi Siffre

I thought for ages that Wings of a Dove was a cover as there is an old ska choon of the same name but it’s their own. 
    One Step Beyond is also a Prince Buster cover; The Beat and The Specials also covered him. The Specials used to play Madness in their early live sets, possibly pre knowing about the band Madness. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1294
    Whilst looking up the above, it rolled into this Labi Siffre song which Eminem sampled but Chas and Dave, who were top drawer session guys, are playing on it as well as Big Jim Sullivan.

www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 4767
    ICBM said:
    simon said:

Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.
    Ha ha, our favourite “let’s agree to disagree” track again @ICBM. ;)  I much prefer the Amy version. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 282
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

That's true. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I really dislike her version because it's clear from the way she sings it that she has no understanding or feeling for the lyrics - although to be fair it was an odd choice anyway given that it's a man's song to a woman.
    The thing that gets me is that there are a whole host of songs credited to "Mark Ronson" where as I understand it, he is the producer not the performer.  How many other record producers manage to get the main credit?  Dunno how he managed to swing that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 6907
    Hush not by Deep Purple

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeillNeill Frets: 372
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Did anyone know that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" is a cover?     
  • Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Much overlooked as a guitarist and songwriter and one of the many guitarists said to have nearly been a Rolling Stone ( according to Wikipedia he declined them). 
    Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    Much overlooked as a guitarist and songwriter and one of the many guitarists said to have nearly been a Rolling Stone ( according to Wikipedia he declined them). 
    The list of guitarists who apparently "rejected" the Rolling Stones gig probably numbers about the same as folk who claim to have been at school with the Kray twins.  An awful lot of names were bandied around at the time, but I reckon the only other guitarist who was formally offered the berth was Jeff Beck.  But that's probably a tall tale as well.  I do remember reading that Rod Stewart was 100% confident that his "best mate" would never join the Stones..

• Neill said:
    Strawberry Letter #23 - written not by The Brothers Johnson but by Shuggie Otis.
    The list of guitarists who apparently "rejected" the Rolling Stones gig probably numbers about the same as folk who claim to have been at school with the Kray twins.  An awful lot of names were bandied around at the time, but I reckon the only other guitarist who was formally offered the berth was Jeff Beck.  But that's probably a tall tale as well.  I do remember reading that Rod Stewart was 100% confident that his "best mate" would never join the Stones..

There was a Rory Gallagher story about him being flown somewhere for an audition with the Stones and after two days none of them had shown up so he flew back out again. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• There was a Rory Gallagher story about him being flown somewhere for an audition with the Stones and after two days none of them had shown up so he flew back out again. 

There's differing stories surrounding Rory and the Stones, one as you say where nobody showed and another where they jammed but mutually agreed that it wouldn't be in either's interests for Rory to join. He probably wouldn't have been a great fit for them and his writing would have take a back seat to Mick & Keef.
    Another one who claimed he jammed with the Stones but he cooled off was Dave 'Clem' Clempson of Humble Pie. I believe he was also in the running to join Deep Purple in the mid 70s after Ritchie Blackmore left to form Rainbow
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 71
    edited December 2017
    I only found out after about 35 years that this one wasn't the original version. It is however the best one in my opinion

https://youtu.be/aaQWOne1sfo

• RockerRocker Frets: 2527
    I read on some music forum of a Metallica fan arguing that "Whiskey in the Jar" was written by Metallica!  A young lad I guess, more to be laughed at than pitied...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 1458
    edited December 2017
    Neill said:
    Like everyone else I was convinced that Rod Stewart recorded the original of "Handbags and Gladrags".
     IIRC Mr Stewart asserted this after the tune became famous as the theme to "The Office".  But that was also a cover, of the original released by Chris Farlowe which sank without trace, just like Rod the Mod's did first time around.

Not just a cover but a nick from Hank Williams too, who nicked it from Charley Patton.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Rocker said:
    I read on some music forum of a Metallica fan arguing that "Whiskey in the Jar" was written by Metallica!  A young lad I guess, more to be laughed at than pitied...
    As I've understood it the Thin Lizzy version was heavily rewritten to from the traditional version so when folk musicians do it now they tend to base it on the Lizzy one rather than the traditional one. That sound correct? 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 1218
    Like most people -I’m guessing - I always assumed John Barry wrote the famous James Bond surf guitar theme music. And then found out it was Monty Norman (who?). So, effectively, Barry’s version is a cover. Here’s the story...

Norman is famous for writing the music to the first James Bond movie, Dr. No, including the "James Bond Theme", the signature theme of the James Bond franchise. Norman has received royalties since 1962 for the theme. However, as the producers were dissatisfied with Norman's arrangement, John Barry re-arranged the theme.[1] Barry later claimed that it was actually he who wrote the theme, but Norman won two libel actions against publishers for claiming that Barry was the composer, most recently against The Sunday Times in 2001. In the made-for-DVD documentary Inside Dr. No, Norman performs a music piece which he wrote for the stage several years earlier entitled "Bad Sign, Good Sign", that resembles the melody of the "James Bond Theme" in several places.

Norman collected around £600,000 in royalties between the years 1976 and 1999[2] for the use of the theme since Dr. No.

rlw said:
    Neill said:

Not just a cover but a nick from Hank Williams too, who nicked it from Charley Patton.
    And who did he nick it from..?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 825
    Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    I bought a Seals & Crofts box set last year - there's some good stuff on it.
    dindude said:
    dindude said:

I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

Rolf Harris?
    Erm, no. And thankfully neither was the family friend!
    Taurus, By Spirit?

(Mind you, Queen then ripped off Stairway for Bohemian Rhapsody.)

aord43 said:
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    Purple openly say that Black Night was based on Summertime, by Ricky Nelson.

• My all time fave song is a cover!! And I found out about it just recently.
    Hot Cherie by Hardline is actually a song from a band called Streetheart....and had at least one more cover, in the mid 80`s.
  • DiscoStu said:
    Behind The Mask by Eric Clapton.
    It's a late 70s song by Japanese synthpop band Yellow Magic Orchestra. Michael Jackson added lyrics to it and it was then covered by Clapton.
    I only found this out about 2 months ago, I was amazed and the other versions are fantastic too. I like the Clapton version best and I like the Y.M.O original more than M.J's version.
    I am the Funk of 40000 years

• I though Joan Jett was the original artist for years.
    I am the Funk of 40000 years
  • rlwrlw Frets: 1458
    Neill said:
    rlw said:
    Neill said:

And who did he nick it from..?
    Indeed !
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.