Amps which sound better at low volume

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
Just curious. Are there any that sound better at home volume than they do cranked?

I can think of a few that sound better switched off.

But don't all quality amps really sound better at decent volume? Even those with really good attenuators always seem to sacrifice something when down low

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader
    I’ve never heard a valve amplifier that sounds better at low volume than it does turned up.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    I've never found one....but I've not tried a Carr Mercury on say the 1/4 watt setting.
  • They might not sound better at low volume than they do louder but that's not to say they don't still sound good. A Squier Front man 10 watt practice amp probably sounds its best at low volume but doesn't mean it sounds anywhere near as good as a valve amp at low volume
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I know some amps that sound best when the volume is at 0. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I'm saying nowt...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    RiftAmps said:
    I’ve never heard a valve amplifier that sounds better at low volume than it does turned up.
    Fender Blues Junior.

At low volume, with the master, bass and treble up high and the volume and middle low, you can get a reasonably nice Fendery clean sound out of it.

At higher volume the more typical shouty, overcompressed, muddy, boxy tone can't be dialled out, and if you try it just becomes farty and mushy.

However the original question did say *quality* amps, so the Blues Junior may not qualify anyway ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Fender Blues Junior.

At low volume, with the master, bass and treble up high and the volume and middle low, you can get a reasonably nice Fendery clean sound out of it.

At higher volume the more typical shouty, overcompressed, muddy, boxy tone can't be dialled out, and if you try it just becomes farty and mushy.

However the original question did say *quality* amps, so the Blues Junior may not qualify anyway ;).
    I said valve amplifier, not ‘amp with valves’ ;)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Roland Blues Cube 40xl, sounds great quiet & pants loud, especially on marshally settings.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Strat54 said:
    I've never found one....but I've not tried a Carr Mercury on say the 1/4 watt setting.
    NO,.........it sounds quite good dialled down but the last 2 settings are poor IMO which is true of most attenuators ...they work really well until you get down to the last 30 per cent.
  • mart said: 
    I know some amps that sound best when the volume is at 0. :)
    Fender bassbreaker 7
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    it is not just the quality amp issue, guitar speakers only sound good when you turn them up and get them moving a bit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    gordiji said:
    Roland Blues Cube 40xl, sounds great quiet & pants loud, especially on marshally settings.
    correction Roland Cube 40xl, don't know where the blues came from.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    it is not just the quality amp issue, guitar speakers only sound good when you turn them up and get them moving a bit.
    I don't agree at all. Most guitar speakers sound fine at low levels - the V30 being a notable exception, but even that only needs a few watts to wake it up. In my opinion 'needing to push the speakers' is one of the huge myths about guitar amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    My Matchless sounds awesome clean at very low volumes. It depends what you want from an amp. I always want cleans that work well with an overdrive regardless of volume and venue. 
  • I have a Marshall sl-5 It has proved to be a great.amp at low volume. It has a great clean and overdrive sound at just above talking volume. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    slacker said:
    My Matchless sounds awesome clean at very low volumes. It depends what you want from an amp. I always want cleans that work well with an overdrive regardless of volume and venue. 

But does it sound better quiet than when it's cranked? 

• I can't hear amps very well when they are cranked to be honest just sounds like loud guitar to me. I can hear them much better when reigned in a bit and then all of a sudden I can hear tone again
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    @ICBM said:
    I don't agree at all. Most guitar speakers sound fine at low levels - the V30 being a notable exception, but even that only needs a few watts to wake it up. In my opinion 'needing to push the speakers' is one of the huge myths about guitar amps.
    it is OK to disagree, bare in mind I said "get them moving a bit" I didn't say "push them" which implies something else. Also a few watts can still be too loud for most homes and it is very hard to know how loud someone else plays at home.

But fact is our ears respond differently at different sound pressure levels, cabinets respond differently at different sound levels and speaker respond differently at different sound levels, guitars react differently to the amp at different sound pressure levels, point is there is so much at play beyond the amps power output...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    JohnPerry said:
    slacker said:

But does it sound better quiet than when it's cranked? 
    No but I don't want to take two amps out. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    are there any particularly low efficiency speakers that sound good but would negate the need / impact of attenuators and still allow an amp to be opened up a little ? 
     I also seem to remember seeing a speaker with some sort of volume management in too - any good ?