living on a quiet road v's a busy road. pros/cons

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 1360
    Busy road.... Built in Neighbourhood watch.... B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 703
    I live miles from anywhere now, but when I was younger I lived on a busy A road into a city and also in central London so I've done both. Love the quiet now though.

The Cons though are: Its five miles for a pint of milk if you can't find an obliging cow,12 miles to a supermarket and even further to a guitar shop. When its icy we slip and slide about, there's no buses and no takeaway deliveries. Your car is always filthy. You'll probably die waiting for an ambulance. More flies. 

The Pluses: Some of the above save you a hell of a lot of wasted money. No one ever says ' I was just passing' so no unwanted visitors or relatives. You can hear a pin drop and hear yourself think...this is so relaxing, play your music loud. Walk the dog with no lead, your cat stays mostly alive. Forgetting to lock the house or car rarely ends in a theft. You sleep like a log. There are no traffic queues, no pollution. We have our own private rural fibre optic broadband that is beyond fast. Incredible views and sunsets. No need to fly tip,we can just burn everything lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 1055
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CarewCarew Frets: 8
    edited January 11
    Nitefly said:
    OP - now you have some answers, why did you ask?
    I was curious what others thought.  

I've lived in homes in both quiet and busy roads, although always in surburban areas.

There are pros/cons to both.

A busy road will have traffic noise, of course, but that varies depending on how busy we are talking about.  And double glazing blocks out a lot.   I don't think one notices it much after a while.  The sound of cars at a certain speed can be quite soothing actually.

The thing about certain kinds of quiet roads - such as cul de sacs - is that although the road may be quiet as far as traffic is concerned, it may be not be quiet always in terms of noise. 

For example, certain types of quiet roads attract families with children to live there.  They can create noise and nuisance both in the house, and outside, in the back garden and with playing in the road which they seem to regard as their personal playground fiefdom with no consideration for anyone else.
    So the quiet traffic road isn't quiet after all.

Conversely, a busy road tend not to attract families with younger children to live there.  I regard that as good thing,   So it avoids noise from neighbours playing in the garden, and no kids playing in the street!

A big benefit of living on busy road is that you are more likely to be much closer to a bus stop, train station, local shops, and all sorts of other local amenities. So it can bring big conveniences in those regards.    Depending on the circumstances, you might even be able to live/commute without needing a car.

I lived in a modern cul de sac.   It was okay when I first lived there,  but certain neighbours' households made it hell.    The boom, boom, boom, of a football reverberated in the close, hitting the street and walls, and stuff hitting your cars and house.    I'll avoid that scenario in the future.  

I appreciate having a bus stop near me.   

I prefer quiet in terms of noise. but a quiet road doesn't always correlate with that.
    pedal fiend
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2164
    AlexC said:
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.
    Luxury!

When I were a lad we 'ad to work 26 hours a day down t' pit then come 'ome and lick t' road clean.......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3428
    ESBlonde said:
    AlexC said:
    I’m lucky. I don’t live on a road. I live in a house.yOU HAD A ROAD
    Luxury!

When I were a lad we 'ad to work 26 hours a day down t' pit then come 'ome and lick t' road clean.......
    You had a road?!!! we dreamt of having a road !!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 605
    edited January 12
    Depends where the road is.
     I would prefer to put up with the traffic in Sloane Square rather than a quiet cul-de-sac in Cleethorpes. (No offense to Cleethorpes)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 9630
     cul-de-sac (what does that even mean?) 
    I always thought that should mean getting the snip.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 11909

Lived in a quiet cul-de-sac (translated from French it means 'arsehole bag') with 11 houses in it, for 18 years.

Wouldn't swop it for a busy road.