Gibson SG revelation

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2252
Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i, what a great guitar, really resonant, snappy in a way a LP isnt. 
i want one 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 4348
    Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i, what a great guitar, really resonant, snappy in a way a LP isnt. 
    i want one 
    my favourite guitar shape bar none.you have been missing out indeed. look for a 61 reissue
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 388
    Yep I definitely want to get another SG at some point I had an SG special which was really nice.

slightly unusual to play the first time you have a go as it's all neck. 

what I do like about SG's they are pretty affordable for a Gibson guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 7
    I played nothing but Fenders for a full 19 years before I tried an SG (my first ever Gibson, even) and bought it immediately. Was a pretty unique mix of elation and embarrassment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 787

Fuck me i have been missing out havent i..
    Yes, yes you have. Enjoy! And there's a far superior association to the SG than Anus Young - Frank Zappa.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

i want one 
    I believe I offered you one just a few short months ago. 

Definitely your fault now!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9763
    One of us! One of us! 

The Les Paul is popular for good reason, but SGs are fantastic and seriously underrated guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2252
    Philtre said:

Yes, yes you have. Enjoy! And there's a far superior association to the SG than Anus Young - Frank Zappa.
    Anus Young? Careful of operation Yew Tree 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Philtre said:

Anus Young? Careful of operation Yew Tree 
    Oops, a typo....

...maybe. B)
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 675
    Look out for a keeper and it'll become your no. 1 go to guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2838
    Number One guitar for neck diving. If Gibson sorted that problem, it would be a great guitar. They didn't. I know. I had one.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 5426
    edited January 12
    andyoz said:
    @mikeyrob73 ;; doesn't know what you mean by "Keeper". You may have to explain it to him. Guitars are more like hot potatoes to him

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 673

i want one 
    I love 'em - With P90s they're even better, but you still need one with Humbuckers too

Again, like you I didn't like the Angus Young association, but they're more versatile than you would expect
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Played an SG last night for the first time ever, never really liked the shape and the Angus Young association thing. 

i want one 
    I’d love one with P90’s especially.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

i want one 
    Look for a 50s tribute one. They're wonderful- chunky neck & P90s. 

I love SGs, all my favourite players Angus, Townsend, Iommi, Clapton etc played em. 
    I've had several, but haven't found "the one". I find that they inevitably feel like the whole guitar is a few inches to the left of where I want it to be. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9763

i want one 
    Look for a 50s tribute one. They're wonderful- chunky neck & P90s. 

I love SGs, all my favourite players Angus, Townsend, Iommi, Clapton etc played em. 
    I've had several, but haven't found "the one". I find that they inevitably feel like the whole guitar is a few inches to the left of where I want it to be. 
    You're holding it wrong. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2196
    Rocker said:
    Number One guitar for neck diving. If Gibson sorted that problem, it would be a great guitar. They didn't. I know. I had one.
    I wondered how long it would take before this bollocks came up.

USE A WIDER STRAP!

Did anyone bring the petits-fours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ricorico Frets: 938
    That's what she said
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Nitefly said:
    Rocker said:
    I wondered how long it would take before this bollocks came up.

USE A WIDER STRAP!

Indeed.

Or just use any strap that's not slippery. Oh, and usually one holds a guitar with two hands, you know, like a guitar player...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1059
    Coolest looking things on planet earth. Fact.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 219
    SGs are great!  Just sent a Junior back sadly as I didn’t like the neck profile 
  • ricorico Frets: 938
    I had a Standard that I traded for a LP Classic a number of years ago - I kinda want another one now, cheers!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 4520

Get yourself a Johnny Marr haircut and a big jumper and you can be Kimberly Rew (great sound but I'd rather have a small scratchplate myself).

CEO ACME Moats Inc.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 7541
    My SG doesn’t neck dive.

Fab guitars. I don’t think of Angus when I see one, I think of Robbie Kreiger - cool as 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 2123
    mikeyrob73 said:9

i want one 
    I came to SG's late but as I posted a couple of months back it is now my favourite go to guitar. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4986
    stimpsonslostson said:

Similar for me, but I don't really mind the "to the left" thing, my problem is that most SG necks are too skinny.  I'd also like some colours other than cherry, brown, black or white.

When I think about it I've owned quite a few, including some Tokais.  I had a Townshend signature which I probably shouldn't have sold, and I still have my Army Green SG-X tucked away in a corner somewhere, I should give it an airing sometime...

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1322
    Played Teles, Strats and Les Pauls for 30 years before Coda suddenly posted a used cherry 61 Reissue on Facebook at an amazing price 18 months ago. Never much liked the look but was curious so I bought it.

Instant love. Then I put OX4s in it and it became about 90 per cent better still. Fantastic thing. And now I love the look too.

Funny innit. For years I played only Strats. Can't really abide them now

• pmgpmg Frets: 219
    impmann said:
    My SG doesn’t neck dive.

Fab guitars. I don’t think of Angus when I see one, I think of Robbie Kreiger - cool as 
    Nor does my neck
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 551
    Not just Zappa - think also Holdsworth playing with Soft Machine at Montreux: one of the godliest performances on an SG in the history of music.
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 383
    Derek Trucks does OK with his SG....

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2252
    andyoz said:
    @mikeyrob73 ;; doesn't know what you mean by "Keeper". You may have to explain it to him. Guitars are more like hot potatoes to him
    I shall have you know I have 3 keepers now mate, once you find the one you know it and it stays, and as I run on a max of 4 there is always room for that one more, which currently is on hold due to a boiler issue but soon I will find it