Hawaii send out missile alert by mistake

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 1491
edited January 13 in Off Topic

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 3137
    That must have been scary.

How do you accidentally send that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 1491
    I got the BBC news report notification on my phone and that was enough to freak me out a little. I couldn’t imagine what it’d be like to receive it for real.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 1098
    Well WWIII hasn't started, they must have hidden the nuclear codes from the Commander In Chief.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 1894
    They got caught out a bit in the last world war, obviously determined to be early for the next one.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5514
    Nightmare! I had painted myself white to deflect the blast and hid under the kitchen table. It's taken me ages to clean the paint off.

what a palaver
    Michael Fish is God
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 1491
    edited January 13
    This did make me smile though:

"Jamie Malapit, owner of a Honolulu hair salon, texted clients to say he was cancelling their appointments and closing his shop for the day, AP reports."

I would have just stood there and fudged my pants.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 4164
    On Military exercise one of my colleagues accidentally sent a Charlie Charlie one message (to all call signs on the exercise) for a Nuclear attack . 6000 people were severely f****d off as they had to climb into their NBC clothing. He got in serious s**t.

I can only imagine how much trouble this idiot got in, I bet it scared some people half to death. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11249
    ThorpyFX said:
    On Military exercise one of my colleagues accidentally sent a Charlie Charlie one message (to all call signs on the exercise) for a Nuclear attack . 6000 people were severely f****d off as they had to climb into their NBC clothing. He got in serious s**t.

I can only imagine how much trouble this idiot got in, I bet it scared some people half to death. 
    I take it that sending such a message doesn't involve pressing a big brown button. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2018
    ThorpyFX said:

Actually I'd imagine it's a borderline miracle no-one was killed or seriously hurt, maybe they were.

Panicked people are incredibly dangerous.  People usually cope very well indeed in these kind of situations fortunately, so hopefully the news reports of "panic" are a bit exaggerated.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender
    ThorpyFX said:

I take it that sending such a message doesn't involve pressing a big brown button. 
    It was actually one mouse click.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 6248
    mice? in the army? wow I must be old, when I was in the only computers we had were abacuses. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited January 13
    VimFuego said:
    mice? in the army? wow I must be old, when I was in the only computers we had were abacuses. 
    It’s now the digital battlefield...... although there is Still nothing digital about bullets. 
    is it a lot less cold, wet and muddy now? Cos my main memories are of cold, wet and mud. Oh and being tired. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2018
    VimFuego said:
    is it a lot less cold, wet and muddy now? Cos my main memories are of cold, wet and mud. Oh and being tired. 
    I suspect that whatever happens, wars will ultimately always come down to the actions of the cold, wet, muddy infantrymen, just like they always have.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 12390
    Is there a nuclear war alert app available?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11249
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

It was actually one mouse click.....
    Specially trained battlefield mice? 

Better than a Territorial hamster. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5514
    Sassafras said:
    Is there a nuclear war alert app available?
    Yes. Facebook
    Michael Fish is God
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 966
    ThorpyFX said:

Actually I'd imagine it's a borderline miracle no-one was killed or seriously hurt, maybe they were.

Panicked people are incredibly dangerous.  People usually cope very well indeed in these kind of situations fortunately, so hopefully the news reports of "panic" are a bit exaggerated.
    Yes, like "panic buying".
  • martmart Frets: 2755
    joeyowen said:
    That must have been scary.

How do you accidentally send that?
    Oh, you know how it is. You send an email off in the heat of the moment, and then the next morning you think “hmm, perhaps I could have worded that better”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13282
    I wonder how many people acted out their "if the four minute warning goes off" fantasy ?  Kick the boss's office door in, punch him in the face and shit on his desk in front of him whilst you get your wife on speakerphone to tell her you've been banging her sister for the past fifteen years.

...then the "Sorry! - false alarm!" message comes through.
    David Morris is innocent.  Locked up since 2002 for something he didn’t do.
    Overviewhttps://tinyurl.com/y9shoxp4   Detailhttps://tinyurl.com/yaezghbl   Petition: https://tinyurl.com/y843wur3
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1234
    I find it hard to believe someone pressed the wrong button and this was a mistake. More likely it was some kind of drill or an experiment of some kind.
    I find it hard to believe someone pressed the wrong button and this was a mistake. More likely it was some kind of drill or an experiment of some kind.
    You give too much credit to the authorities! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2647
    I find it hard to believe someone pressed the wrong button and this was a mistake...
    Just wondering, how many people have you met?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    I would imagine there can't be too many people who have the access and permissions to actually do this, so you'd like to think it would be a hard mistake to make. Then again, I guess if it was real, you'd want to be able to send out the message as quickly as you could while under extreme stress. 
    As said already, bit of a scary thing to happen with that blustering idiot in the Oval office. Let's just hope there are still a few calm heads around him.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32171
    VimFuego said:

As said already, bit of a scary thing to happen with that blustering idiot in the Oval office. Let's just hope there are still a few calm heads around him.
    No need to worry about that - the US military will have known immediately that it was a mistake because they hadn't detected a missile launch from Korea.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2300
    It’s about time the BBC started showing those protect and survive public information films.

The ones where they advise getting into the cupboard under the stairs or under the kitchen table with a few weeks’ worth of baked beans and bottled water. After which time of course everything will be ok.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 3610
    It may be real but they intercepted it or it landed in the ocean and it’s best to spin it as this instead of Trump fire back to start WWIII.  It’s all a part of pretend the world all loved Granpa Trump charade.