Increasing the speed of a lick

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 747
    edited January 30
    I use my pinky because it feels more comfortable. I'm aware that Gary Moore would have probably played this sort of lick with fingers 1-3. But for this lick my thumb is over and not at the back of the neck.

I'm left handed but play right handed and often use my pinky in preference to my 3rd finger as it results in a more comfortable hand position for me. Although I believe Gary Moore was left handed as well so that's not really a good reason.

Btw. When I was learning the fast bit, I missed out the preceding couple of notes with the bend because that unnecessarily increased finger fatigue during constant repetition.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1435
    I use my pinky because it feels more comfortable. I'm aware that Gary Moore would have probably played this sort of lick with fingers 1-3. But for this lick my thumb is over and not at the back of the neck.

I'm left handed but play right handed and often use my pinky in preference to my 3rd finger as it results in a more comfortable hand position for me. Although I believe Gary Moore was left handed as well so that's not really a good reason.

Btw. When I was learning the fast bit, I missed out the preceding couple of notes with the bend because that unnecessarily increased finger fatigue during constant repetition.
    Thanks for that.

Yeah I think I’ll just stick to how I instinctively felt was natural for me which is thumb over a bit but I might try using the pinky on 8 instead of the third finger. I’m over stretching for it with the third finger and it’s making me sloppy on the 5th fret notes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 4870

Or even fingers 1-2 for the tones. 

Which makes me think about metronomes and playing quickly. I think they’re probably a good discipline for very accurate finger control but I’m not sure that’s what you actually want if you’re trying to copy Gary Moore’s rather free-flowing, organic style. 

I expect he didn’t use a metronome to get to his level. I reckon his approach was to play what he wanted to play as quickly as he could, getting more accurate (and quicker) over time; not having precise licks in mind and then trying to reach a certain speed incrementally over time with a controlled speed approach. Apart from set pieces like the run in Out in the Fields. I think he’s also partly playing what’s comfortable to him - his note choices in those flurries are as much about what his fingers naturally fall to as they are a deliberate choice - as is evident from his 1-2 finger approach which is quite bizarre but works for him. He’d probably have struggled just like anyone else to play exactly like Van Halen or Satriani or Vai. Not because they’re more difficult to copy, but because their styles wouldn’t fall naturally to his fingers.

I don’t know if I’m right. But if so then I’m not sure metronomes are the right way to go. It could be better deeply to study the journey he went through to reach his level (which can be reverse engineered from studying his later playing) and copy that. You might end up with slightly different licks from Moore’s but they will sound as natural as his because the music will be based on your own natural technique and characteristics. Maybe metronomes can supplement that but maybe they might actually be detrimental to that style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Interesting points @viz ;

In the main I would agree and normally have little interest in ‘note for note’ learning of a phrase. But having just started lessons, my tutor picked Parisienne Walkways for us to look at, and having given me this lick to work on, I really want to nail it. I think he’s expecting me to come back on Friday and be able to play it at maybe 40% speed and I’m aiming for 80% so it’s keeping me very disciplined in my practice!

It’s easily the hardest lead thing I’ve ever played so I think the act of focuassing solely on this and trying to take something out of my comfort zone and power through it will be really good for my general development. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Ok I reckon I’m definitely on to something with the concept of not using the pinky slowing me down.

It feels weird right now to do it, where I’m not very used to using the pinky, but I can tell I’m more efficient if I use it, despite having to drop the speed back down, if that makes sense. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 419
    edited February 6
    I'm trying to learn to increase picking speed but a big help was the notion that I can already pick fast when tremolo picking. I can't recall the precise bpm but 16th notes with a single note could be managed accurately very high up the metronome. The issue is more one of building up coordination between hands.

When practicing at lower speeds rather than just bash away with slow techniques getting sloppier as the speed increases instead concentrate on the tiny movements and angles used when trem picking. And also playing short fast bursts and increasing the lengths. 

And Paul Gilbert says there's nothing wrong with the odd bit of legato in fast picking. 
    Thanks, helpful! I’ve been getting up to 80-90% speed but that’s getting very sloppy. It’s definitely a picking/coordination thing.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5432
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks, helpful! I’ve been getting up to 80-90% speed but that’s getting very sloppy. It’s definitely a picking/coordination thing.

Keep up with the fast picking and concentrate on getting the coordination.  The wrist movements you use to play fast are completely different from those that you play slow with, so that's why practicing at a medium to fast speed is important.