The bass Fender should have made (IMHO)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 14330
    @ICBM - :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31545
    Yes, it's purely hum coming from the pickup, nothing to do with grounding or the amp. I'm almost certain this was the driving force behind Leo Fender's adoption of split pickups or RWRP pairs in all the basses and guitars he designed after the Strat - the first being the upgraded 1957 P-Bass - apart from the few 'student' guitar models with only one pickup. Quite ironic, considering how Fender is so associated with 'single coils', as in not humbucking...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 187
    Yeah proved it wasn't grounding (in my eyes when i used a transformer based DI straight from bass to 100% decouple it) in everyone else's eyes cos they could accept the obvious when i repeated it with a higher qual single coil and a totally diff amp.  

even most experienced bass players looked at me like i had three heads when i looked at their bass and went ooo single coils get ready for some noise and interference.... Usually got "well I've never had a problem before".... 10min later must be you power or not earthed "plug in tester, nope look all connected right.... Then must be.... At that point i usually snapped back... It's the bloody single coil pickup and the interaction between that and where power cables run or electrical equipment near by like fridges.  Only got snippy cos did tell people single coil basses would pick up interference and recommend a humbucker. that's when you'd get aye but it hasn't happened before so i just assumed it would be alright....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 31545
    mr-mac said:
    Yeah proved it wasn't grounding (in my eyes when i used a transformer based DI straight from bass to 100% decouple it) in everyone else's eyes cos they could accept the obvious when i repeated it with a higher qual single coil and a totally diff amp.  

even most experienced bass players looked at me like i had three heads when i looked at their bass and went ooo single coils get ready for some noise and interference.... Usually got "well I've never had a problem before".... 10min later must be you power or not earthed "plug in tester, nope look all connected right.... Then must be.... At that point i usually snapped back... It's the bloody single coil pickup and the interaction between that and where power cables run or electrical equipment near by like fridges.  Only got snippy cos did tell people single coil basses would pick up interference and recommend a humbucker. that's when you'd get aye but it hasn't happened before so i just assumed it would be alright....
    It can be just some venues - placement of equipment can make the electrical environment very noisy. What made me determined never to own a bass without some form of on-board hum-cancellation were two venues where noise was such a problem that a single-coil guitar or bass without RWRP pickups was unusable, especially with any kind of distortion.

At one of them, the PA power amp rack was right at the side of the stage next to where the house bass amp was put - possibly because they'd had more problems with the guitar amps so they were on the other side, I don't know. I played a gig there with my 4003 - the last pre-RWRP - and I had to stand at an awkward angle to the stage in order not to have the hum louder than the bass signal, if I turned my fuzz pedal on. At the other, there is a lighting rig with the controller mounted on it right over the stage - any single-coil instrument is a nightmare there, even when playing clean. So if anyone tells me that you don't need hum cancellation because you can't hear the hum when you're playing... bollocks. You just haven't come across a bad enough case yet.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 254
    In one place I worked at a particular office had a computer monitor that was going absolutely crazy. It turned out that the desk had been moved and the monitor was now next to a big mains riser on the other side of the partition wall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter