Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wireless

What's Hot
I'm thinking of going wireless, it only really came to light last night when my lead comfortably reached to the kettle but i had to unplug to get the milk from the fridge... obviously not ideal, i'm also scuppered if i want biscuits too!

i'm after a cheap(ish) reliable system, £150 ish i suppose. i've heard line 6 are ok
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll hear you on the Home Service, then ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lot of love on here for Smooth Hound .

In past years they have had a bit of money off at the Birmingham guitar show. So if you are going to that and they are there this year might be worth waiting for. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lot of love on here for Smooth Hound .

In past years they have had a bit of money off at the Birmingham guitar show. So if you are going to that and they are there this year might be worth waiting for. 

.... googles smooth hound.. cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Line 6 G10 is what I use and is my recommendation.  :) plus it Won't just stretch to your biscuits but it will go to your neighbours biscuits too!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Line 6 G10 is what I use and is my recommendation.  :) plus it Won't just stretch to your biscuits but it will go to your neighbours biscuits too!  ;)
    I like the look of that, rechargeable too... blimey it must be good, my neighbours are 100 yard away :cookie: 
  • G10 is great. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    The G10 is excellent although I'm using the Xvive U2. I chose that over the G10 because both transmitter and receiver are battery powered so that's one less mains socket to worry about - often an issue at open mikes around here.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    You can power the G10 from a pedal board with a simple cheap adapter lead that costs about £1. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I gave up on wireless for years until the G10 came out, being rechargeable on its own docking station swung it for me, and it sounds fantastic all the way down to the very bottom of the guitar volume pot's range. 
  • Its looking unanimous on the G10, thank you, i will investigate
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Ooh handy thread, I didn't know these things were so affordable and simple.

I like that the Line 6 has a rechargeable battery.
    I like that the Smooth Hound is British.

Hmmmm.
  • I've used an Xvive U2 and it was great - compact, good battery life and strong signal. I bought a random cheaper wireless system in the end (Rowin or something) and it was a false economy - nowhere near as good and the transmitter was so bulky it fell out of the guitar more than once.
  • I've been using a Line 6 G30 for years. I got it before the G10 was released. It works fine but the transmitter is pretty flimsy and badly designed. I have no reason buy something different as it does the job... but if I was looking to buy from scratch I'd get something else as there seem to be better alternatives out there now.
  • Smooth hound user here. It’s been great, I use it with a short cable so the unit is on my belt rather than in the guitar (I think it looks rubbish on a strat like that).

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Another Smooth Hound user here... 100’s of gigs with it, no issues.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you like the bug design then I’d go for the smooth hound.     I mostly use a line6 g30 these days - tie wrap the battery door and it’s fine. 
  • I have the Line 6 Relay G50, had it since 2013 and its pretty good. 200ft tranmission range (great for big festival stages). I have changed the cable that comes with it to a right-angled jack, reducing the risk of someone knocking it straight on and snapping the end. Also make sure you use some gaffer tape to fasten it to your strap as many years ago I stupidly decided to use a cable tie and it wasn't strong enough, slipped out of the tie easily one gig and the transmitter came off, the batteries flung out and I lost half the song searching for them on stage!

The other guys in the band have the G10 and the Shure G-something, they're also really good and easy to use.

Have heard good things about Smooth Hound but not used one before.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I just know I’m going to get laughed at for this but I still think my ridiculously cheap and resolutely low-tech analog AKG WMS40 Mini takes a lot of beating.

It’s as simple as it gets, a standard AA battery lasts for months in the transmitter, it sounds as good as any of the digital alternatives I’ve seen, it’s got enough range for any imaginable pub/club or small festivals, and in well over 4 four years of regularly gigging with it it’s been completely reliable and I’ve never had any interference issues...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  •  line 6 r30 user here.  Great unit for loads of gigs
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    JayGee said:
    I just know I’m going to get laughed at for this but I still think my ridiculously cheap and resolutely low-tech analog AKG WMS40 Mini takes a lot of beating.

It’s as simple as it gets, a standard AA battery lasts for months in the transmitter, it sounds as good as any of the digital alternatives I’ve seen, it’s got enough range for any imaginable pub/club or small festivals, and in well over 4 four years of regularly gigging with it it’s been completely reliable and I’ve never had any interference issues...
    Same here. Been using mine for a couple of years now and it's never let me down, sounds great and loads of range.
    I'm not knocking the Smooth hounds, but i know some one with one and they have had a couple of problems with it (although quickly sorted out). We have also compared the two, and at ranges of over about 50 feet his Smoothound has just a tiny bit of latency that the AKG doesn't. Not really a problem i guess, but it was interesting nonetheless.