Anyone up for a challenge?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ijontyijonty Frets: 28
    edited March 3
    This is really interesting to me, thanks for posting @spark240 ;.  A screen video would be great if you get chance. I'm presuming Waves Lo Air, Ampire and stuff like that are plugins or something?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 984
    ijonty said:
    This is really interesting to me, thanks for posting @spark240 ;.  A screen video would be great if you get chance. I'm presuming Waves Lo Air, Ampire and stuff like that are plugins or something?
    They are indeed...I tend to use Lo Air on Kicks, Bass guitar, some picked acoustic guitar, Ampire is just a guitar sim plug in, Ill look at the video thing very soon !

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    Ok... having spent most of today sat stationary on the M25... I got to thinking about the original thread started by @TTony which inspired this thread... So I thought I would see what could be achieved with "Garageband" and just the stuff it comes bundled with.

As a reminder below is the raw recording with levels roughly balanced, no eq etc:

Sounds duff right?
    But the basics are there (vocals are a 
    struggle) 

next up is the mix as done by @spark240 ;
    Really good mix, lots of air and punch details of what was done are listed in a previous post in this thread.

The next mix was done in garageband using just the plugins that come with it... for a free bit of software its bloody good! just basic panning and EQ, harmonies pitch shifted with the built in pitch shifter...

If anyone else wants to have a crack DM me and ill point you in the direction of the raw tracks.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 22
    Spent a bit of time on this tonight, should be done in a few days hopefully.
    edited March 4
    @poopot The Garage Band mix sounds tight! I have decided to use a pitchshifter to do the harmonies; it meant I could make a start on it last night whereas singing them myself would have been a no go with the kids asleep. It is amazing what some compressors and a bit of EQ can do though. 
    Any idea why my link doesn’t show e Listen in browser option?

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    spark240 said:
    When I click it, it says it’s not available outside of soundcloud... maybe a setting you need to change?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 931
    spark240 said:
    One of the track permissions on SC is 'Display embed code'. Is this checked? (click on More>Edit track>Permissions)
                                                                                                                                                   My 'Guitar diaries' on BandCamp
                                                                                                                                                            My Soundcloud stream

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    spark240 said:
    One of the track permissions on SC is 'Display embed code'. Is this checked? (click on More>Edit track>Permissions)
    Sorted thanks !

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    edited March 4
    I tried a Quicktime screen video, CPU was a bit tight with everything going, so I did the drums and Bass only first,  I didnt bother with a vocal talk through, seems pretty obvious whats happening, I didnt spend a lot of time to be honest, probably could have done a bit better.

Seems I didnt actually Gate the Kick and snare in the end, so really just showing you what Plug I used.

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Wha....?....This Youtube video played just....now not working?

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    When you edit a post it breaks the YouTube link. Re-enter the YT link and it'll work again.
                                                                                                                                                            My Soundcloud stream

When you edit a post it breaks the YouTube link. Re-enter the YT link and it'll work again.
    Sh*t dude....you know some stuff !

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Aaaand guitars...

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Ahem ... "This video is unavailable"  :#

Have you got it set to private or something? 
                                                                                                                                                            My Soundcloud stream

edited March 4
    The first one or Second one....mmm...I don’t think it loaded properly...check tomorrow 

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Second one. First one plays ok.
                                                                                                                                                            My Soundcloud stream

Sorted vocal next...

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Vocals Only....and Bass for reference.

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Should have mine ready tomorrow; I have three contenders, need to pick one and upload it.
    Had to finish this off on headphones when I had the chance:

@IMC1980 ...sounding good dude !....how about sharing your process ? Ive noticed the vocal harmonies I use raise up rather than down on "me entertain you" parts, I think this is because I didn't list to the original song at all before doing this mix, and thats the harmony I heard in my head ! ..I think your harmony is slightly closer to the original.

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    edited March 11
    spark240 said:
    @IMC1980 ...sounding good dude !....how about sharing your process ? Ive noticed the vocal harmonies I use raise up rather than down on "me entertain you" parts, I think this is because I didn't list to the original song at all before doing this mix, and thats the harmony I heard in my head ! ..I think your harmony is slightly closer to the original.
    Thanks, glad it sounds alright! Drums were grouped into buses, noticed quite a bit of bleed on the separates, so I wanted to go for a "live" sort of feel. Panned from the audience perspective and EQ'd using the stock Sonar EQ, Slate VMR for compressors (distressor mainly) and David Bendeth 10db on the snare, a send off the snare bus to a bus with a gated reverb with a relaxed gate setting and a send from the drum bus to a "reverb room" bus high and low passed to 300hz and 10k respectively. Slate Virtual Tape Machine on th drum bus.

Bass EQ'd with Sonar EQ, added bass amp sim Ingnite Amps SHB1 with Ampeg IRs, Slate EQ and compressor on the bass bus, a sansamp plugin clone and a send to the reverb room bus.

Main guitar is running through an instance of S-gear with a v30 IR, the reverb and delay running, EQ'd with Sonar EQ and Sonar 1176 comp, but of delay and bussed to a main guitar bus, wah has a channel strip on it with a doubler, EQ and delay engaged, duck guitars just have a high pass and the solo guitars had a reverse reverb, EQ and delay. All guitars out to the main guitar bus with a send to the reverb bus.

Vocal had Sonar EQ (HP, cut at 100hz and 3.5khz, boosts at 2khz and 12khz), Cakewalk version of an LA-2A, delay and small amount of doubler. Tracks were copied for the harmonies and I used Little Alterboy to pitch the harmonies. The chorus was a mix of a 4th and a 3rd. Microshift used on one of the parts. Had to freehand pitchshift a couple of parts in melodyne, send to the reverb bus.

Master bus had Slate VTM and VMR with the New York saturation and the distressor comp and then cleaned up with Ozone 8 according to what I heard on my headphones with the multiband comp, dynamic EQ and vintage limiter.  

Think that is everything!

Great stuff !...some good ideas going round for everyone to have think about when mixing, I also had to do some manual harmony bits with Melodyne !

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    @IMC1980 sounds great!... the bv’s are really good!!!!
    Thanks @poopot I do enjoy a good background vocal! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 434
    Those mixes are sounding great @IMC1980 and @spark240 ;

It's really useful to hear your processes. And loving the backing vocals. You can't really go wrong with some gratuitous backing vocs if they're not too high in the mix