When does it end?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 112
in FX
No, not my Flashback on max delay and feedback. The merry-go-round of FX lust and confusion.

A million years ago I started out with stomp boxes, adding a Boss HM-2 to my dream rig (ahem) of a Kay Strat and a 10w Sound City practice amp, because it just wasn't fizzy enough already ...

Then poverty and a lust for more options than I could actually afford meant multi-fx, bankrupting myself for a Korg G3 and then a ToneWorks AX30G followed by an AX1500G.

At some point snobbery kicked in, and I ditched all of the above for a small number of individual stomp boxes. Years go by and a couple of projects crop up that cause gross mission creep, and I end up with a "in the front" board and an "in the loop" board. All to service a 3-show am-dram performance I was involved with as a volunteer.

Time marches on and I get cheesed off with lugging two boards around, and the floor real estate at church is limited, and there's a panto thing coming up, so I consolidate the whole lot onto one board and introduce a loop switcher.

Now I'm thinking "Most of the time I only really use the tuner, drive, and delay. Maybe I should just have a smaller board instead of carting a 3' Pedaltrain flight case everywhere.  Or perhaps one of those funky new multi-FX so I've got the other options just in case, but it's light and compact".

WTF is wrong with me?  I'm very much an amateur. I mostly play at church, where these days I probably play acoustic 65% of the time with no board. I want to play in other situations, but haven't got the requisite local mates, or the requisite self-confidence to just walk into a band-recruiting scenario.

I'm starting to think I just need to buy everything to cover all bases.

At least if I do I'll be divorced, so I'll have more time to focus on my playing! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 464
    Ah...yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 31
    It never ends, it just begins again.    And again...    and again...    and again...    and again...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 112
    Neither of you are helping.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 1649
    Have to concur, it never ends, you’ll be looking at a Helix or Axe-Fx 3 etc etc  ;)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 736
    you just need to buy Everything to cover all the bases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 1160
    edited March 7
    Just count yourself lucky you're not a synth player. That looks like whole different level of madness and costliness.

I've had the same board unchanged for about 5 months and I consider that an epic achievement.

I'm not so gloomy as others. It might end. It does for some people. Unfortunately it can cost a lot of money in flipped gear for you to get there, and a lot of the time you can end up buying the same pedals again that you bought you didn't want/need.
    Trying to be slightly more constructive :) ...I think the best thing to do if you want to avoid continuous GAS is stay away from this forum. It's a nightmare. I rarely visit this site without developing some new craving for some other piece of gear.

I think I do have genuine needs for new / different gear (as do you) but it does breed A/B madness which can lead to the merry-go-round of gear flippage. Lots of people seem to have cured themselves by buying a Helix or AX8. Didn't work for me though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 646
    edited March 7
    I sound like a broken record, I know, but since getting the Axe FX a year ago, I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer, with the exception of gassing for actual guitars.

[I say this somewhat hypocritically as I literally sold my Axe FX II a fortnight ago in order to fund an Axe FX III! tut tut]
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    We need a review of the Axe-Fx 3 when it arrives :)
  • Defo mate, it's a tough old wait though tbh!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 729
    edited March 7
    I sound like a broken record, I know, but since getting the Axe FX a year ago, I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer, with the exception of gassing for actual guitars.

[I say this somewhat hypocritically as I literally sold my Axe FX II a fortnight ago in order to fund an Axe FX III! tut tut]
    You need to approach the guitars with the same minimalist mindset. I get by with only 4 of them  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Freebird said:

You need to approach the guitars with the same mindset    I get by with only 4 of them.
    I admire your strength f will, alas I am an inveterate Gear Hussy :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 523
    edited March 7
    I ended my pedal obsession by coming to the realisation that the classic designs are classic for a reason, so if I want something now I'll most likely just go for the best, most reliable and affordable version of that. 

I wanted to love the Helix but haven't been hugely bowled over with either Native or the rack version I tried. Still want to have a go on a properly set up one to see if it'll let me ditch the rest of my gear for good.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2585
    I have a big board and a small board. If I was gigging and needed alot of sounds I'd go HX or MS3 with 3 drives. 
    edited March 7
    Im GAS’ing for a Boss ES-8 EH Ravish Shankar, Looper and asstd EH Synth pedals and maybe a Sustainer for my Klein Replica.  I did look at the Gig Rig setup but there is one major and very annoying flaw in their kit, NO Parallel effects ! The Boss ES does this and I got to like it a lot in my Axe-Fx setup, especially with modulation and delay 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 1681
    .... since getting the Axe FX ... I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer
    Works for me too
    Fucksake. Now I want a Fractal. I HATE YOU FRETBOOOAAAAAARD!!!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    It’s actually a very good time to get an Axe-Fx, especially with the Fx-3 around. The Mk2 and 2XL still are great bits of kit and now a LOT cheaper
    sweepy said:
    It’s actually a very good time to get an Axe-Fx, especially with the Fx-3 around. The Mk2 and 2XL still are great bits of kit and now a LOT cheaper
    God damn you to hell...TO HELL!!!!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 196
    I have a big board and a small board.
    Me too, currently building a medium board because....
    I really don't know, but it seems like a good idea

Do I need help?
    Ha!  I'm safe you evil tempting bastards. I have no desire for rack kit at all, I'm far too amateur and lazy to justify that.

My delusions of grandeur are much more modest. As it were.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 846
    My bowl d has settled now. Can't see me changing anything for some time now ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • m_cm_c Frets: 338
    Is this not a bit like asking where does the internet end?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2585
    m_c said:
    Is this not a bit like asking where does the internet end?
    At Tor obv
  • slackerslacker Frets: 912
    My comments are based on a) I have too many pedals and b) I played electric in a church band from 2006 to 2013. 

IMHO you only need a drive and a delay. I have multples of each so that when I get bored I swap out pedals. I have a small board with a drive and delay and a larger board with overdrives reverb and a Mel9. I also have a compressor and a wah somewhere and a broken phaser. I lent someone a fuzz. 

I tend to buy stuff I really want and keep it. I bought my fuzz in 2000 and rarely use it. One of my overdrives is from 2001. If I'm experimenting I'll buy used and sell or trade it. I traded a load of overdrives and fuzzes. I shifted some Lovetone stuff because they were half trick poneys. IMHO of course. 

I've borrowed a lot of stuff over the years. 

So I have about 4 overdrives 1 fuzz 2 delays and bits and pieces collected since 1997-the first 3 years was buy sell overload. I've calmed down. Last year I bought 3 pedals and that was the first time I bought something since 2007. 

So in summary buy lots of stuff. 
    I find it really hard to resist a bargain, hence my recent Caparison purchase and the Cort Super Strat tomorrow,  Recently I was offered a Chender Double Neck for a frankly ridiculous price and I’m having a hard time resisting it, even though I don’t “need” it 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 17437
    When you realise that you can't buy your way into being a better player.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback
    octatonic said:

Not here. Realised that a long time ago, but still get suckered. Maybe it's genetic. My missus reaches a point with booze where she knows she should stop and does. I reach a point where I realise I should have stopped three drinks ago and it's all a bit late. Yeah, it must be biology, not just idiocy.

octatonic said:
    Maybe it's not about that. Maybe it's just about enjoying a hobby. Not everyone that fancies a new pedal is deluding themselves into thinking it will make play like EVH. I'm quite content playing nothing but the riff from Enter Sandman. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 639
    I only bought one pedal in the last year and that was because I was given a voucher as a present. My gear lust stopped as soon as I joined a band and was quickly consumed with song writing/ playing duties. When we're writing and working up songs, I just don't care about tone or the nuances of different delays - I don't want any of that to get in the way of the writing process. I will get back to sounds and effects when ready to record and gig, but tbh I think the gear I've got is good enough for the job.

I've concluded that gas was just something to sate my interest when I wasn't actively involved with a band.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter