Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are Boss pedals "old hat"?

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited April 2018
    My BOSS ME-5 gives me the most deliciously self absorbing lush UniVibe (custom programmed) anywhere...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Some people will say yes, some will say no.
    I've moved back to boss for some stuff, not for others. Base it on sound not brand
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    If only they did a fuzz!
    http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/item/image/5042/boss-fz-2-hyper-fuzz-xl.jpg

Best fuzz ever. Basically a Shin-Ei FY-6/Univox Superfuzz circuit but with active EQ and a clean boost mode. (And the other usual Boss advantages.)

There are also the FZ-3 and FZ-5, but I don't like those as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I spent a decent chunk of change on my MD-500 and sold all my other modulation. Thing of beauty to get lost in. I also like my Waza BD-2 as a kind of always on 'more' pedal.  
    Then at the other end of the BOSS price range I also recently had someone give me a bog standard SD-1 which id never tried before and its pretty much my perfect OD.
    They make some good stuff and some stuff that i have no use for like everyone else.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited April 2018
    I like Boss stuff. The switching is the best, I like having that big pad to stand on rather than a little 3pdt switch. I've only got one boss at the minute but will definitely get more. My overdrive is a Hardwire CM2 which has the same style of switch but true bypass instead - tbh might just get an SD1 as I'm pretty much dialling in the eq the same as a normal TS after all! Keen to try a Blues Driver as well.

I wish they'd hurry up and do a Waza FZ2, it'll help push down used prices of the originals!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9834
    ICBM said:
    If only they did a fuzz!
    http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/item/image/5042/boss-fz-2-hyper-fuzz-xl.jpg

Best fuzz ever. Basically a Shin-Ei FY-6/Univox Superfuzz circuit but with active EQ and a clean boost mode. (And the other usual Boss advantages.)

There are also the FZ-3 and FZ-5, but I don't like those as much.
    But only the fz5 currently I believe which when I tried sounded awful sadly, the Akai £25 job I tried at the same time walked all over it.

Which is a shame as every other boss I've tried sounded pretty good even with me playing it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    thecolourbox said:

But only the fz5 currently I believe which when I tried sounded awful sadly, the Akai £25 job I tried at the same time walked all over it.

Which is a shame as every other boss I've tried sounded pretty good even with me playing it
    True, but the FZ-2 is not all that rare - although admittedly getting fairly expensive now.

Behringer actually do a copy of it - the SF300 Super Fuzz - which is under £25 new... I've been thinking of getting one as a spare. But I should have bought it a few weeks ago when they were under £20!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Kinda like a Nissan Qashqai - absolutely fine, but nothing to get excited about in the main. For every Boss pedal, I can think of many others I’d rather own. Only exception is for a straightforward digital delay the DD3 is still hard to beat.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    I’m a recent Boss convert.... just need to try the overdrive side of things really but very happy with the DD-2 delay and Modulations...
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited April 2018
    When i was learning to play in the early 90s I had a mate who was massively spoilt by his parents. He never really bothered to learn properly but had a load of cool gear including a substantial boss pedal board, which at the age of 13 - 14 was the shizzle. They would have been analogue ones, chorus, distortion, flanger and a few others. Fast forward 20 years when I started playing again and I went out and bought several boss pedals just because I've always wanted some. The handful I have are great for hacking away at home I see no point in spending more and they're built like tanks compared to the ehx ones I've got. 
    In conclusion I like Boss pedals a lot. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    I use two Boss analog delays, an original DM-3 and a modern DM-2w. As compact analog delays go, they're hard to beat.

To me it's a different story with drives - for example there are plenty of distortions available these days, many of them inexpensive, that urinate all over the DS-1 from a great height.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    They're a good average pedal. 
    I think everything they do has a better sounding equivalent from another manufacturer but for the most part they are ok, apart from their flanger anyway
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    It’s unusual for a pro guitarist not to have at least one Boss on their board. Says it all really. Bottom line - they’re reliable.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28568
    The DC-2 is still the finest chorus pedal ever made. Probably the finest chorus pedal that will ever be made.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    Sporky said:
    The DC-2 is still the finest chorus pedal ever made. Probably the finest chorus pedal that will ever be made.
    Tell me about it, could have picked one up for £30 in a shop sale once but didn't. Bugger!
  • I dig Boss pedals. I have their tuner and also the waza chorus and analog delay which are both super cool.

people seem to knock their drives and distortion but I like them. I chose the (digital) DS1X over a Suhr Riot as the Boss just sounded better to me. I’ve been equally impressed with the OD1X which is really versatile.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    people seem to knock their drives and distortion but I like them. I chose the (digital) DS1X over a Suhr Riot as the Boss just sounded better to me. I’ve been equally impressed with the OD1X which is really versatile.
    Agreed. The new digital drives are really impressive, not at all digital sounding, except that they give a clarity that analog can't achieve, esp at high distortion levels.

Re the DC-2 (I agree, it's a wonderful chorus) the behringer clone was a good copy and has been superceded by a TC copy called 3rd Dimension which I've read also sounds identical to the original save for there's no stereo output (and it's more  flexible 'cos you can press multiple buttons simultaneously).
  • I never see much mention of the Harmonist PS-6, but it looks like it can do a lot of cool things,  check out the Killing in the Name Of solo at 5.15:

https://youtu.be/CZYt8PJDCZs

And craziness with an expression pedal:

https://youtu.be/iVPf6AFu32g

I need to check out this effect on the Katana. 

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    they’re cheap and OK - like McDonald’s. In my youth, perfectly acceptable and wallet-friendly.

These days, I prefer better burgers and better pedals, and have a wallet capable of allowing me to do so.