Squier VI bass

What's Hot
Theres loads of stuff wrong with this ‘guitar’ that can be sorted by doing mods. Has anyone one here done them by themselves and how costly is it otherwise I may have to just give up on the idea and move it on
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had one for quite a long time. 

The only thing I did to mine was putting heavier strings on (labella make a set designed for the Fender VI) then I adjusted the truss, bridge & nut to suit. Simple & certainly not something I haven't done to virtually every guitar I've owned.

I disagree that there's anything "wrong" with this guitar. It's just different & in a world where PRS have started making £2300 Strat copies different can be a VERY good thing. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I had one that was a bit meh to begin with, @ICBM did some tweaks and made it a lot better without needing new bridge or saddles etc (the usual internet received wisdom) . I still found it a bit floppy on the low e and ultimately decided what I really wanted was a baritone guitar rather than a 6 string short-scale bass.

I enjoyed it, especially with fuzz, but haven’t missed it since it’s gone. For me, the Reverend Descent was closer to what I wanted (but ultimately I havent bought one of those yet either!).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Lord Seven will probably have something to contribute on this topic. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    A Staytrem bridge is well worth fitting, as the one they make for the VI is a bit longer, allowing accurate intonation. A better set of strings will also help, and Axion/Newtone does a set which isn't stupidly expensive.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers, thanks a lot for these tips, I really like the idea of it and would love to get it sorted. It seems as though the only way I can get the low E sounding less rattley is to set the action really high but the saddle screw ends up creating a buzz as it sits so close to the point where the string enters the saddle