Clapton midboost in a pedal?

What's Hot
I'm new around these parts, so bear with.

Having recently took up (or re-took up) guitar from a lengthy hiatus I have found myself with a very nice quality bitsa Strat. The pickups are a bit meh bit anyhow. What I wanted to do was put the Fender Midboost kit into it for the Clapton drive tones we all love.

However, I was looking if anything similar exists for a pedal, so I could switch it off when I don't want it and also wouldn't have to dismantle the guitar to change any batteries.

Anyone know of anything similar for around the same price as the Fender kit £80 or cheaper?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Buy an EQ pedal and boost the mid frequencies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    You could pop this in a box   :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    The Clapton circuit is a useless POS in my opinion.
    It completely ruins the natural sound of the Clapton Strat, even when it’s turned right down.
    It should have always been properly bypassable, so you can have the proper sound of the Strat should you wish it.
    now you may like the sound of the unit when engaged, to my ears it lacks finesse, however having it in a pedal with true bypass would be an improvement as you can still get the natural sounds from your strat. 
    Anyone who owns a Clapton strat should try removing the circuit (you will need new value pots) and hear how nice their guitar is without it, as I really like the underlying guitar, and sticking the circuit in a pedal  will mean you can use the intended effect  only when required

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    I would upgrade your pickups first if your not happy with 'em. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    edited April 2018
    It completely ruins the natural sound of the Clapton Strat, even when it’s turned right down.
    It should have always been properly bypassable, so you can have the proper sound of the Strat should you wish it.
    now you may like the sound of the unit when engaged, to my ears it lacks finesse, however having it in a pedal with true bypass would be an improvement as you can still get the natural sounds from your strat. 
    Anyone who owns a Clapton strat should try removing the circuit (you will need new value pots) and hear how nice their guitar is without it, as I really like the underlying guitar, and sticking the circuit in a pedal  will mean you can use the intended effect  only when required
    Completely agree. His sound live with derek and the dominoes when he was playing brownie and marshalls was really good and quite rock n roll. I don't understand why he insists on the mid boosts, it sounds very artificial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    brooom said:
    Completely agree. His sound live with derek and the dominoes when he was playing brownie and marshalls was really good and quite rock n roll. I don't understand why he insists on the mid boosts, it sounds very artificial.
    That dominoes live album has some of the fattest and juiciest strat tone ever recorded. The playing is off the charts too
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited April 2018
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is up there with my favourite albums. Great tunes and even better tones. Not many other 20 year olds would say the same methinks :#

I like the look of the TC Spark for this. Can use it to boost certain signals and put an amp into a clean overdriven sound.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491

Also agree. I had a demonstration model that actually did come in a little pedal box (though it didn't have a footswitch) and thought it sounded pretty bad. I guess it would come down to how whatever amp you were using liked to be hit, though.
  • Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is up there with my favourite albums. Great tunes and even better tones. Not many other 20 year olds would say the same methinks :#

I like the look of the TC Spark for this. Can use it to boost certain signals and put an amp into a clean overdriven sound.
    The full size one can certainly overdrive an amp. One of the best OD sounds i can remember in the flesh was a dude i played with running the full size Spark with an SG through a Marshall (smallish combo - forget which).
    Im not sure if it strictly speaking does the mid-boost you are looking for though. I have the mini and that definitely does not do mids. It does sparkly 'more' but not mids. 
  • Samgb said:
    The full size one can certainly overdrive an amp. One of the best OD sounds i can remember in the flesh was a dude i played with running the full size Spark with an SG through a Marshall (smallish combo - forget which).
    Im not sure if it strictly speaking does the mid-boost you are looking for though. I have the mini and that definitely does not do mids. It does sparkly 'more' but not mids. 
    I believe the middle switch on the big pedal has a setting for "mid" or "mid boost". Either way, I'm hoping it can do somthing good for me.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Samgb said:
    I believe the middle switch on the big pedal has a setting for "mid" or "mid boost". Either way, I'm hoping it can do somthing good for me.
    Ah - well i didnt look too closely at his settings i just kind of put the pedal on my 'would like to try' list because it was roaring. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    seymour duncan pick up booster ?can go from 0db to 25db boost got 5 star off music radar review, new they are about £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • if you look on reverb there is one for sale in a pedal format

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey