Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It's scone not 'scon' alright!

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited September 2018
    Asking for a ‘cream tea’ avoids having to say scone.

But last time i ordered a cream tea, i was asked whether i wanted a plain or fruit “skon”. Aaarrggghh! I looked at the girl taking my order, and gently corrected her. I think she got it. Its an effort but someone has to make a stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I use both words. I pick the one that most annoys the company I am with
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    I don't understand the question "It's scone not scon" - they are both pronounced the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    prowla said:
    I don't understand the question "It's scone not scon" - they are both pronounced the same.
    Was Not Was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28181
    I think you can tell by people's reactions to the question.

The "scon" brigade always back up their position by insulting anyone who says "scone", usually from an inverse snobbery position. The strength and vitriol of their reaction tells you that they are not nice people. 

So, if you're a mean-spirited, bitter, miserable sod who likes class warfare, say "scon". If you're someone who thinks a cream tea is a thing of happiness and joy, say "scone".

:) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    Sporky said:

The "scon" brigade always back up their position by insulting anyone who says "scone", usually from an inverse snobbery position. The strength and vitriol of their reaction tells you that they are not nice people. 

So, if you're a mean-spirited, bitter, miserable sod who likes class warfare, say "scon". If you're someone who thinks a cream tea is a thing of happiness and joy, say "scone".

Never was a truer word said @Sporky. You are obviously someone with impeccable taste. :3
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    edited September 2018
    You say "scone", I say "scone", 
    You say "scone", I say "scone", 
    "Scone", "scone", "scone", "scone",
    Let's call the whole thing off. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Scone- the fastest cake.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don’t get this saying scone is posh, thing. I’m common as muck, and I don’t know any posh, folk. Everybody I know says scone.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• It's scone as in gone 

I was born in North Devon which gives me no greater qualification than any other human being but it's scon

Scoane as in Sloane is how Hyacinth Bucket says it and that's all the proof you need 

Plus on the cream first jam first debate - we Devonians invented the cream tea and it's Cream first. It gives additional rigidity to the scon and acts as the butter (which historically was used before cream) and forms a fluid layer on which to spread your jam so the knife doesn't snag the fluffy centre of the scon and rip it apart
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Wow, I'm really glad @ICBM resuscitated this thread.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    usedtobe said:
    I don’t get this saying scone is posh, thing. I’m common as muck, and I don’t know any posh, folk. Everybody I know says scone.
    "Location sheffield-ish"

That figures... closer to Chesterfield or Rotherham maybe? Have a look at the map ;).

It's clearly some sort of south-Yorkshire/north-Derbyshire deviancy - shared only with Stoke, Hull, Essex and the far west of the Irish Republic :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sporky said:

Fascist!  :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Whereas I just think you say a word wrong. :) 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Sporky said:

Fascist!  :p

Don't worry, Sticky, he'll be first against the wall come the revolution.  Smash the toffs, lads!

(He's probably a class traitor too).
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited September 2018
    Snags said:
    Sporky said:

Fascist!  p

Don't worry, Sticky, he'll be first against the wall come the revolution.  Smash the toffs, lads!

We had a class traitor too. He dobbed the rest of us in for saying scone wrong. Teacher was furious with us 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4788
    edited September 2018
    supes said:
    It’s scone as in gone. You can give as many explanations as you like but pronouncing it as s”cone” just makes you sound like a pretentious dick. I’m from the north-east, ya kna we talk proper up here. I think that’s game, set and match. 
    I'm from the east and it's definitely scon. The pretentious northerner who lives downstairs calls them "scones"  because he's trying to sound posh, which means that's definitely wrong
    Oi! I'm from the north and it's definitely scon as in gone!!

No one I know from the North East calls it a scone, that is considered the posh pronunciation where I'm from. Not that it matters!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:

Nah. I married someone who also says scone correctly.

Ooh - I know, let's call each others "scoaners" to rhyme with "moaners", and "sconnmen" to rhyme with conmen. That'll elevate the discussion. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    "Scoaners" - that's a good one!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Well this is a silly thread.  I'm going to get the dog his bonn then play with my amp to see if I can get a nicer tonn out of it. I might get an ice-cream conn from the freezer to eat whilst I'm honning the edges of my kitchen knives.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom