Slugs!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Cunts the lot of them! I find perrenial geraniums, ladies mantle, cat mint are not eaten by slugs. That's why I have so many planted

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    usedtobe said:
    Beer traps. Tesco value bitter, or whatever it’s called, works, and is cheap!
    This works ... beer in plastic containers. Gets midges as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    beer traps do work but then you need to think about what to do with a container full of a slushy beer-and-slug mix

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    NPP said:
    beer traps do work but then you need to think about what to do with a container full of a slushy beer-and-slug mix
    Invite the mother in law round for a beer I say!!!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    edited June 2018
    Reminds me of the pet snail I had. I used to enter him into a lot of races but he wasn't always successful. I thought he'd go faster if I took his shell off (more aerodynamic) but it just made him more sluggish.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Balsamic vinegar.

Doesn't kill them, just makes them taste better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    NPP said:
    Sell it to Wetherspoons - they serve that stuff all the time.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    feckers ate the peanut butter off my mouse traps. seen it with my own eyes! cheeky bastards. slug pellets seem to work. tons of them. Scatter them all over the plants and under them.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    There was a slug and snail feature on BBC breakfast and the expert said copper around the plant . Then the snail in the studio glided across the copper.
    Coffee grounds - so far this is encouraging them if anything. I'm not keen on egg shells as I don't want to encourage vermin. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    We just use slug pellets to kill the little bastards. And why do they eat all our plants but not weeds for god’s sake!!!   :p
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    There was a slug and snail feature on BBC breakfast and the expert said copper around the plant . Then the snail in the studio glided across the copper.
    Don’t repeat that too much. We want slug tape as a cheap source of copper for guitar cavities.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited June 2018
    Encourage slug eating wildlife to live in your garden.  You need more toads, frogs, newts, hedgehogs. Installing a pond would be a good start.

Be careful with slug pellets - they will kill cats. Make sure you get the pet friendly ones.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited June 2018
    I'm at war with them at the moment. Have got a packet of Nematodes to put down but it needs to be in damp weather for them to work.
    I planted some mint last Monday and the little sods have eaten almost every leaf, so I've ringed the plant with a few slug pellets, then coffee grounds and salt. I've also sprinkled salt over the concrete outside my kitchen. Let's see what that does. Salt is MUCH cheaper than pellets.
    A few years ago I used a lot of slug pellets one night and the next morning it was a massacre. Over 200 dead slugs and snails. I felt a bit bad about it in fact there were so many. You have to pick 'em up so animals and birds don't try to eat them, but you'd need to get up with the birds to do that really.

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited June 2018
    Fuckin’ napalm the little buggers
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom