Slugs!!

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
First rain in a while has brought hundreds of the critters to the surface of the garden. My wife has been complaining about her plants quickly being devoured and now I can see why.

Has anyone got a solution that nukes the bastards whilst being harmless to my dog, cat and the grass? 

All suggestions considered. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    edited May 2018
    Nemaslug, nukes them (from orbit as far as the slugs are concerned). May take a couple of applications over the summer, but it will massively reduce the population of the forever hungry bastards. 

https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/mobile/search-results.html?fq=Nematodes+
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I hate them - they've started to come into our house at night, through the air bricks and up through the floor boards.  
    We tried slug pellets around the outside of the house, which worked on the slugs but attracted rats instead - and rats being the double hard bastards that they are,  the pellets had no effect on them. 

The old fashioned beer tricks seem to work quite well....
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    edited May 2018
    Salt? Diatomaceous earth?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316

Salt or birds.

Pick them up on a trowel, and see how many garden fences you can fling them over?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Hedgehogs
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Create a small wild pond in a corner of the garden, introduce some newts and toads, they love feeding on slugs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    When we moved to our house there were a million snails in the garden. I collected them in a bucket and drove them to the countryside and set them free. I'd do the same if I had a load of slugs.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Yeah, they come in to my house too.  Eat the cats food.  

If I come home late at night, I can see them crawling up the outside walls of all my neighbouring houses.  
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    When we moved to our house there were a million snails in the garden. I collected them in a bucket and drove them to the countryside and set them free. I'd do the same if I had a load of slugs.

thanks - they are now all in my garden - I wondered where they all came from !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    CHRISB50 said:

Pick them up on a trowel, and see how many garden fences you can fling them over?

They come back. Snails I lob over the house into the road. I don’t find any of them coming back. 

Beer traps work, except they can attract slugs into your garden from further afield. Before the seeds were planted I let the chickens roam the veg patch, which got rid of a few of them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    one of the freakiest things is pulling back your upstairs bedroom curtains in the morning to see half a dozen snails limpeted to the windows! Wass that all about??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    CHRISB50 said:

They come back. Snails I lob over the house into the road. I don’t find any of them coming back. 

Beer traps work, except they can attract slugs into your garden from further afield. Before the seeds were planted I let the chickens roam the veg patch, which got rid of a few of them.
    You need a moat. Or a badger patrol.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Roland said:

They come back.
    Ah, homing slugs.
    I read about these being used to deliver messages during the war.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Grunfeld said:
    Roland said:

They come back.
    Ah, homing slugs.
    I read about these being used to deliver messages during the war.

I wondered where the term 'snail-mail' came from. Thanks for that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    edited May 2018
    usedtobe said:
    Beer traps. Tesco value bitter, or whatever it’s called, works, and is cheap!
    Yes. We did this yesterday and got loads of the Bastards.  Also putting coffee grounds mixed with eggshell around the plants works well.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Loads of the buggers have appeared at my place - trod on one last night barefoot which was a horrible experience for me and the slug.

Beertrap would attract the pisshead that lives next door so will have to rely on the hedgehogs to do their stuff

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Coffee grounds; also nutritious for your soil so no cleaning up to do afterwards. Also, won't harm any other animals that come into contact.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    We put a beer trap down in the garden for the first time last night and it got about fifty of the bastards.  So we went to Waitrose to buy more beer this morning and figured maybe we should go to Aldi.  But then in the meantime my wife found this on mumsnet:
    It doesn't need to be alcohol, it's the yeast they're attracted to. Make a concoction of flour, water, sugar and yeast, works a treat:

2 cups of warm water
    2 heaped spoons of flour
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of yeast

Save the booze for yourself   =)

And she also found this: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Slugs-and-Snails-With-Yeast

It says traps every 6 – 8 ft as the smell won't travel further than that.

Sounds like nicely bubbling yeast mixture is the best bet.

Some people talk about getting cheap 40 pint homebrew kits and using that - £4 for the whole season.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    57Deluxe said:
    one of the freakiest things is pulling back your upstairs bedroom curtains in the morning to see half a dozen snails limpeted to the windows! Wass that all about??
    Be worried. They started a sudden stealth attack on your house, probably 4 hours earlier.