New Smashing Pumpkins

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2286
edited June 9 in Music

Well, I say new, it is from the Monuments session apparently. Not a bad song though I don't think.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1004
    That sounds good, better than the Beige single from the last album :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2930
    From A million dead posers on FB:

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 122
    Its just a bit poo really. 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 1895

I heard a bit of it earlier on Insta. I wasn't impressed unfortunately. I'm going through a pretty heavy Pumpkins phase at the moment too.

Will give it a proper listen when I get home.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 1945
    Meh. Drumming is great in places as Jimmy always is... but the song is boring and the melody is... weird.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 1649
    It's not as bad as I expected.  

Some of the drumming on the track is great though.  Jimmy Chamberlain is a superb rock drummer IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4608
    edited June 8
    I was sharpening my pencils to slag that off... but actually I like it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2286
    I was listening to Bullet With Butterfly Wings this morning, and there is some similarity between the two actually, especially in terms of the single guitar progression in the chorus, the drums, and the intro (again, musically). Actually, even the vocals (not the lyrics) are not a million miles away.

Not sure how much of that is intentional, accidental, or I am just completely wrong..
    Listened to it a few times now, on the whole, i still like it, but compared (here we go...) to "classic" pumpkins, its pretty standard. It doesn't stand out in the almost weird or uh.. melancholy.. way that makes Pumpkins such a special band..
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 543
    edited June 11

I like it. I'm being slagged on youtube for saying I like it, but welcome to 2018.

The drums and vocals in particular are great. Jimmy should be given WAY more credit as one of the best modern rock drummers.

The guitars sound too gainy, compressed and modern for Pumpkins, for me....I want them to sound more grainy, gross and fuzzy. But....its still great.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 549
    It sounds great. Not classic Pumpkins, but much better than the sh!te they put out after Adore.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 272
    I quite like it, brilliant drumming as previously mentioned.

When is the new album due?

I don't actually know. The band have spoken about a few EP's, but an album would make more sense. Guess we will find out in a month or so.
  • It sounds great. Not classic Pumpkins, but much better than the sh!te they put out after Adore.

I think I might be in a big minority but I love Machina; moody, gothic, great chord progressions, a lot going on, a couple of duds yes but great songs, I still listen to it often. 
    edited June 11
    I like Machina too, and Oceania was great. The others post Adore, were OK in places, but a bit patchy... Certainly one of my favourite bands though.
    Machina is an amazing album... Oceania took a little getting into, but again, a really good album. Saw them on the Oceania tour and really bought the album to life for me.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 114
    quarky said:
    I don't actually know. The band have spoken about a few EP's, but an album would make more sense. Guess we will find out in a month or so.
    Watched this yesterday and I think Billy says they've recorded 8 tracks with Rick Rubin which will be released as two EPs, they hadn't planned to record as many but Rubin wanted to do all the tracks they showed him.

An album was considered a bit overwhelming at this stage I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Billy talked about never doing another album again after Zeitgeist, so I am kind of hoping it is the same thing here, and they do decide to release an album after all. Maybe it will depend on how the tour goes as well.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 543
    quarky said:
    Watched this yesterday and I think Billy says they've recorded 8 tracks with Rick Rubin which will be released as two EPs, they hadn't planned to record as many but Rubin wanted to do all the tracks they showed him.

An album was considered a bit overwhelming at this stage I think.

Yeah I caught this interview and I really enjoyed it.

What they really need to do it release all of the studio albums on heavyweight vinyl asap. I know you can pick some of them up, but they are ridiculous prices.

Then, a few new EPs, and then a new album once they have time.

I am patiently awaiting a European tour.

Something is happening on the 16th of October apparently. Posters around London. Oh, and three EPs apparently. Not sure where that comes from..

http://www.nme.com/news/music/smashing-pumpkins-teasing-something-london-2337500

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 2831
    They're music w as always good, but his vocals in my opinion are just the worst. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 991

I like it. I'm being slagged on youtube for saying I like it, but welcome to 2018.

The drums and vocals in particular are great. Jimmy should be given WAY more credit as one of the best modern rock drummers.

The guitars sound too gainy, compressed and modern for Pumpkins, for me....I want them to sound more grainy, gross and fuzzy. But....its still great.

Standard Rick Rubin "production" really, very dry and overly compressed, bugger all dynamics which is a shame considering how good Jimmy is, it ruins all the nuance.

I quite like it, but I find Rubin's productions tire my ears out quickly for the reasons above. Looking forward to the rest, Pumpkins were a later find for me except for the obvious singles, really like them now and Jimmy is one of my fave drummers as well!

.....and what to my wondering eyes should appear.....      nothing.......

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 7660
    I generally like Rubins work on a lot of hip hop records and his stuff with RHCP. 

I think that song sounds very pumpkin-esque, I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything but I do like it for the most part. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 114
    I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything

I think that may be my problem with Smashing Pumpkins, in a nutshell.

I wasn't particularly aware of Corgan's vocals on Gish or Siamese Dream but somewhere on Mellon Collie his nasal whining tone started to really grate and I can't bear to listen to him now.

I don't know if it's due to the way his songwriting's developed - it did seem over the years like less guitar, more bleating - or if the production has brought the vocals more to the front.  I'm almost afraid to listen to the first two albums now in case I don't like them any more.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 1895
    I've had a proper listen now and although not 'classic'. I still like it. I wouldn't want to hear the guy sing acappella, but his voice fits the music.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 991
    I generally like Rubins work on a lot of hip hop records and his stuff with RHCP. 

I think that song sounds very pumpkin-esque, I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything but I do like it for the most part. 
    His production techniques works for some bands and not others, for early Slayer it was perfect but for say Californication it's just too damn loud, same with Death Magnetic. His work prior to 2000 isn't so bad, it's like he became deaf after this so lost all his dynamic hearing range. YMMV of course, but I find most of his work from Californication onwards is diminishing returns production wise.

.....and what to my wondering eyes should appear.....      nothing.......

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 1649
    Jimmy Chamberlain's drumming in the choruses is a lot of fun, and James Iha has some nice wah moments as well, things which were missing in a lot of non Pumpkins Billy Corgan output and IMO his work is always better with those contributions.
    edited June 15
    Playing Wembley Arena, Oct 16th.
    Just noticed Corgan's back to playing a Strat on that clip.  I wonder if he's given up on his Reverends?