How to be a good frontman - any tips?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    I've always thought that being somewhat cocky helps, but not to the extent of coming across as arrogant (unless you can back it up, that is)!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 72
    I used to find it easier to look in the general direction of the crowd... sort of like looking at imaginary people standing in the gaps. That way, to the audience it looks like you're engaging with them and you don't have the awkward eye contact to deal with. Try not to stand still as well.

It's the hallmark of a new band when everyone is just so focused on not messing up you've just got 4/5 guys on stage looking down playing their instruments not moving. Look like you're enjoying it and it's infectious - the crowd will as well.

Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 752
    edited July 12
    Don't try to be an off the cuff wit unless you have genuine reasons for thinking that you are a witty guy.  My most excruciating experiences with front men have been standing behind guys who, with a bit of Dutch courage, think their job is to be funny and who just totally aren't. 

Also, be prepared for the possibility you're not cut out for it.  I know a few very good good singers (male and female) who are hopeless at fronting a band, and even after loads of gigs  trying their best just look stiff, nervy and uncomfortable.  If it doesn't work at first,  give yourself a decent chance to grow into it, but if things are not improving be honest with yourself and let someone else have a go.  The singer doesn't have to be the front man.
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.” Bertrand Russell

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 961
    Channel your inner Freddie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter