Best bass for metalcore

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 558
    And the correct answer, despite all this, is a Spector Legend 5.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 331
    Which Rotos? They do both steel and nickel. I like the steels a lot but the brightness dies faster than D’Addario Pro Steels so I don’t use them. Their steels are stiffer and less scooped sounding than Pro Steels.
    I think they're the Nickel ones, I've only seen the pack once and its an Orangey coloured one I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Also, every middle-of-the road metalcore band's bassist plays Ibanez SR300 series basses. Don't add any dirt whatsoever or you'll lose it in the mix alongside the Line 6 Spider guitar amps.
    There's no Line 6 amp here mate, Peavey's and Laneys!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6878
    Which Rotos? They do both steel and nickel. I like the steels a lot but the brightness dies faster than D’Addario Pro Steels so I don’t use them. Their steels are stiffer and less scooped sounding than Pro Steels.
    I think they're the Nickel ones, I've only seen the pack once and its an Orangey coloured one I think.
    Most metal/metalcore bassists I’m aware of would be using steel strings. The string choice changes the tone a lot.

Check this YT video out, GHS nickel vs D’Addario Pro steel on same bass, both brand new strings.

https://youtu.be/JTtR7K4Aels
    edited July 4
    Most metal/metalcore bassists I’m aware of would be using steel strings. The string choice changes the tone a lot.

Check this YT video out, GHS nickel vs D’Addario Pro steel on same bass, both brand new strings.

https://youtu.be/JTtR7K4Aels
    As I said I'm not entirely sure if its steel or nickel. I'll ask as I do want to restring it before a show he never restrings it often enough and I hate dead strings!!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6878
    I’m not familiar with that bass. I’ve tried other Ibanez basses, the higher range SR basses play nicely but I’m not so into the tone. I had an SRX for a while but I’m just not a massive lover of humbuckers on bass unless it’s a Music Man, or Precision - but they’re really a split single.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2959
    edited July 4
    That through-neck model should do the business for its owner. There is little in its specification for even the grumpiest bassist to dislike.
    He does have another 5 string but the pickups are fucked and he hasn't fixed it since.
    Bartolini pickups are resin-potted. Their innards are nigh on impossible to destroy. I have known Bartolini braided output cables to wear through near the soldering terminal tabs on the underside of each pickup. Screwing the pickups right down in their routed cavities might cause physical damage to the cables.

Far more likely is that something has gone awry with the Ibanez in-house active circuitry. Could be flimsy soldering joints onto the EQ PCB. Could be something as dumb as forgetting to changing the PP3.

If you can help the Ibanez/BTB owner to get his five string bass back up and running, perhaps, he will express his gratitude by giving you a really good deal on the Epiphone Thunderbird?

the correct answer, despite all this, is a Spector Legend
    Very probably. It would look right in Metalcore surroundings. With EMG-35 or -45 series soapbar pickups with the Solderless wiring harness, it would be a piece of piss to get whatever sound the OP desires without altering the outward appearance of the instrument. P, J, DC, CS, TW.

I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.

If you can help the Ibanez/BTB owner to get his five string bass back up and running, perhaps, he will express his gratitude by giving you a really good deal on the Epiphone Thunderbird?
    I really don't want it, it looks hideous on stage haha

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2959
    Lestratcaster said:
    I really don't want it, it looks hideous on stage
    No further questions, m'lud. :)
    I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter