A case of Murphy's Law

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
When the installers fitted the solar panels on our roof a few years ago, they replaced the hot water cylinder in the process.  We always had an electric immersion heater in our hot press cylinder 'just in case'.  When I checked it out after the fitters had left, the immersion heater did not work so I put it aside as a job to do myself.

Fast forward to today.  I got a new timer switch yesterday and set out to install it.  No real problems, just 4 connections and that was all there was to it.  Except the immersion did not work.

After checking the connections and the supply voltage, I discovered that the cable [about 2 metres long] was open circuit.  Luckily I had enough cable in my bits press so the new cable was installed  and clipped in place.  The immersion still did not work.

The full supply voltage was present at the immersion heater so I moved the thermostatic control until I heard it click.  Still the immersion still refused to work.  My ohmmeter confirmed that the heater element was intact so there was no alternative other than bypassing the thermostat on the immersion heater.  The immersion heater worked!  The thermostat is actually not needed in our case as the immersion would not be on for any more than a half hour at a time.

Refitted all the covers etc and all is well in the Rocker household hot press.  What should have taken around an hour, actually took half the day.  Always remember, if something can go wrong - it will.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    That's an amazing story.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    I know if I embarked on a job like that, I soon be in hot water....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    None of that made any sense whatsoever to me. I wish I had skills like you! 

Usually if something breaks, I swear a lot, google it, swear some more, get a quote from a real bloke, swear some more, and resign myself to ‘fuck it’ for a few years.. lol  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    The thermostat is actually not needed in our case as the immersion would not be on for any more than a half hour at a time.

Always remember, if something can go wrong - it will.

;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    You are right of course @JezWynd.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Don’t immersion elements have their own thermostat built in anyway ?  Every one I’ve seen has.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Glad you got it sorted, Rocker.  
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don’t immersion elements have their own thermostat built in anyway ?  Every one I’ve seen has.
    They have Emp but that thermostat was faulty even though the immersion element was new when the cylinder was installed.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I have been known to replace the odd immersion heater so I've got form. On modern units they will trip and can be reset (little red button on the top). However the period of time between resets gets shorter and so inevitably they need replacing. Yours could just have needed the button pressing. You can replace just the thermostate bit that slides down into the heater element for a fraction of price and without any exposed water! Make sure the cable powering the heater is properly rated, they draw a lot of current and inadequate cable is not a smart idea as it gets hot! There are basicly two lengths of heater, long for top down and short for side access acros the tank.

Thanks @ESBlonde. Ours is the long one, it draws a fair bit of current. I will look at the thermostat again (soon).

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• O'Shea's Law: Murphy was an optimist
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • my wife had no confidence in me fixing our electric shower, boy she's in for a shock later
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Thought this was gonna be about Irish whisky
    tae be or not tae be