Brand new PRS, pots reversed

What's Hot
AmblikAmblik Frets: 2
Hi folks, new to the forum. Trying to get back to playing and have picked up a PRS SE custom 24 (new). 

Ive had it for a week now and i'll be taking it back in for a proper setup, but one of the things i think is weird, is that the volume and tone pots work backwards. 10 is off on the volume for example. 

I'm sure its just that the pots are reversed but it seems odd that it would come from the factory like that. Is that weird? Something to worry about?

Have i picked up a guitar that someone has gutted and returned!?

Just looking for some views on it really.
Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    Sounds like an easy mistake on a production line. If it looks fine and you're happy otherwise then just have the wires reversed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    is it a right handed or left handed guitar?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
     do they all move clockwise still to cause an effect? you sure someone hasn't just pulled the knobs off and put them on at a different point in the sweep?
  • AmblikAmblik Frets: 2
    Thanks for the replies, its a right handed guitar.
    The numbering on the knobs ascend clockwise so turning the knob anti-clockwise ascends through the numbers 0-10, as the volume decreases. 

Come to think of it, for the tone, i actually have no idea if its wrong. Is 10 usually more Treble and 0 more bass? 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    That’s weird as I have a PRS SE Soapbar and that’s like that too. The guitar is very good indeed but I have a new loom coming :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Turning the knob clockwise should increase the volume. If the numbers go the wrong way then they are left-handed knobs, but this would be very surprising because they’re extremely rare - most companies which make left-handed guitars don’t even use them.

On the tone control, clockwise should be more treble and anti-clockwise no treble.

Can you post a pic of the knobs?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Yup, typical PRS quality control. They have that reputation for a reason  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    ICBM said:
    Turning the knob clockwise should increase the volume. If the numbers go the wrong way then they are left-handed knobs, but this would be very surprising because they’re extremely rare - most companies which make left-handed guitars don’t even use them.

On the tone control, clockwise should be more treble and anti-clockwise no treble.

Can you post a pic of the knobs?
    I’ll take some pics of my Soapbars pots as they are fooked 
    Will post a pic when i get it back. I took it back in for some minor things as well as the pots; truss adjustment, intonation etc.

One of the things was that one of the pickup ring screws was loose and screwed in at a fairly bad angle. I just happened to mention it when i went in not thinking much of it. Anyway i just found out that they've sent it back to PRS because of that one screw, as apparently "there was a piece of wood missing".

Not too impressed with PRS quality control it has to be said. I've barely played my new guitar!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    tFB Trader
    Very unusual to get negative QC issues on a PRS - Certainly compared with most other big brand name builders - Not sure if purchased mail order or over the counter, but either way I think it is only fair that they offer you a replacement - Knowing PRS as I do, then I don't think they would have an issue with a replacement, based on your comments above - Assume it is new stock as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah it was new over the counter. I bought it in a bit of a hurry so clearly wasn't quite as attentive when i had a go in the shop. Will speak to them when they get it back in. Thanks.
    tFB Trader
    These are right handed guitar knobs- turn knob clockwise (viewed from above) to increase volume, and numbers increase from the players viewpoint

Is the numbering on your knobs reversed?

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    tFB Trader
    Amblik said:
    Yeah it was new over the counter. I bought it in a bit of a hurry so clearly wasn't quite as attentive when i had a go in the shop. Will speak to them when they get it back in. Thanks.
    just don't see why they won't exchange taking into account it has gone back to PRS anyway
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    This is terrible .Thank god we have Gibson to set the standard .Since  that Paul  geezer has run PRS I have heard nothing but quality issues .At least we have the internet to  alert us .:-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Sorry to hear that. I’ve always found that the quality control of new PRS SE Guitars is about the best for mid priced guitars.
    These are right handed guitar knobs- turn knob clockwise (viewed from above) to increase volume, and numbers increase from the players viewpoint

<pic removed>

Is the numbering on your knobs reversed?

I think they must be left handed knobs! The numbering goes in the other direction.
    Thanks very much for the pic, that confirms it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I read this thread and thought Id check my prs and then realised I didn't really care - one way makes it quieter the other louder who's looking at numbers ??

Just think how rock history would be if peter green had had the internet ;)
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1347
    And just think if your guitar ever gets to be ‘famous’ everyone will be hunting down reverse knobs to improve their tone at some point in the future :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So just pop a pair of right handed knobs on and all is well .

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Amblik said:

I think they must be left handed knobs! The numbering goes in the other direction.
    Thanks very much for the pic, that confirms it.
    That is really remarkable. Someone in Korea must have screwed up quite badly to do that, and I assume it applies to a whole production run.

All that needs to be done now is track down whoever was responsible and make sure the knobs get distributed correctly to the makers of left-handed guitars who never bother to use the proper knobs! (Which is more or less all of them.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein