Solo of the Month (SotM) #41 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 774
edited October 6 in Making Music
This is the 41st solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 24th October 2018.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Discussion: This track is kindly provided by @Bellycaster based on one of his previous RotM entries. @fastonebaz suggested that maybe we could use previous RotM entries. It saves me some work as well as resulting in a backing track in a style very different to mine.

Track details as provided by @Bellycaster
Tempo:120bpm

Chords
E Maj to Esus4.........................8 bars
C#min to G#min.......................4 bars
Emin to Bmin............................2 bars
F Maj7.......................................2 bars
E Maj to Esus4.........................2 bars

The backing track has 5dB of headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th October 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st October 2018
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm41-2018-10

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 246
    Ooh I like this tune,  good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 371
    Nice track @Bellycaster There’s a lot of possibilities with this, I think we could see quite a variety of approach. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2617
    Cheers, the remix just involved taking out most of the Guitars and putting the Piano Chords and strummed Guitar in for the melody. If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change. Some of the lead work in Bob Marley's stuff is wonderful, might make an interesting challenge for us.
    Conformity is the new Rebellion.
    Are we allowed to include a little bit of an existing (famous) solo into our SOTM's as part of our compositions or is that not allowed?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 774
    ...If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change...
    OK I'll add that to the list. So that makes the following suggestions I've got so far IIRC:
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;
    2) Odd time signature from @fastonebaz ;
    3) Reggae from @Bellycaster ;

Maybe I could mix a couple of ideas and do a Funky track with a odd time signature next, followed by Reggae after that. Unless anyone else would like to have a go at a backing track.

It's not a competition.
    Are we allowed to include a little bit of an existing (famous) solo into our SOTM's as part of our compositions or is that not allowed?
    Do what you like as far as I'm concerned. I've made the occasional reference in the past.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1720
    Likey likey. This is very nice indeed.
    Splendid cheers! 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1639
    ...If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change...
    OK I'll add that to the list. So that makes the following suggestions I've got so far IIRC:
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;

Maybe I could mix a couple of ideas and do a Funky track with a odd time signature next, followed by Reggae after that. Unless anyone else would like to have a go at a backing track.

Happy for any of my BRotM entries to be used!. If you want them rejigged let me know!.
    poopot said:
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;

Happy for any of my BRotM entries to be used!. If you want them rejigged let me know!.

I'll PM you. I've found one of your BRotM entries that I think would be a great funky backing track for SotM.

It's not a competition.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 944
    And entered.  Quick 'n' cheerful this month.
    I've composed mine in my head I just need to find time to record it .
    And entered.  Quick 'n' cheerful this month.
    I'll post a playlist when I get another entry.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in.   =)  100% original, honest guv.  I wonder if @Bellycaster ; imagined this when composing the backing track  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    oh yes - nothing special in the rig, just DI into Cubase with a few of the built-in standard inserts.  Played with a Gibson SG Standard 2018.
    @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in...

That makes two entries in the playlist in the original post. Perhaps we can start a new game of squeezing in references to famous solos or melodies :)

It's not a competition.
    edited October 6
    Done mine, which is now in the playlist.

@fastonebaz - two can play at that game. Now if only I had room for a 335.

It's not a competition.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 235
    Sounds great.  I had a play earlier but still trying to come up with something I am happy with. Especially around that tricksy bit towards the end. 
    @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in.   =)  100% original, honest guv.  I wonder if @Bellycaster ; imagined this when composing the backing track  :)

I've heard it before somewhere, I can't quite place it though :)
    Wow guys! They’re great!! Think I’ll pull a sicky this month :)
    Rowby1 said:
    Wow guys! They’re great!! Think I’ll pull a sicky this month :)
    If you do we will find you and Melvin you :)
    In terms of recording gear, I used my latest  budget studio gizmo, AMPLIFi TT, set to some kind of slightly crunchy blackface setting, a Visual Sound Route 66 compressor with the gain high, and a bit of the drive side for the climax. 

Oh yes, and one of the infamous discounted R8s doing the heavy lifting.  

Usually I amalgamate the best of a few takes but did this in one take because I wanted a video for the R8 thread. 

https://youtu.be/juE38fI6Ots
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 434
    edited October 7
    Sent.

Great track. From a single listen I immediately got a melody in my head, recorded it then my computer crashed just as I had to go out. I think I've managed to recapture what originally didn't save!
    I'm away at the moment. I'll update the playlist when I get back.
    It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 168
    Entry sent.

My approach was mostly based around the chords, with specific notes I wanted to hit at the chord changes, and in particular trying to make the transition from an Emaj scale to Emin (and back again) sound natural. Not 100% I achieved it going in, coming out I'm a bit happier. The sound was the neck pickup on my GS, a simple clean tone through the amp, with some EQ and reverb in Reaper.
    In terms of recording gear, I used my latest  budget studio gizmo, AMPLIFi TT, set to some kind of slightly crunchy blackface setting, a Visual Sound Route 66 compressor with the gain high, and a bit of the drive side for the climax. 

Oh yes, and one of the infamous discounted R8s doing the heavy lifting.  

Usually I amalgamate the best of a few takes but did this in one take because I wanted a video for the R8 thread. 

https://youtu.be/juE38fI6Ots
    I was thinking of doing a video too as I tend to record all mine in one take (just that there are 100s of takes lol).  I like watching how it's played.  
  • markvmarkv Frets: 168
    I did play mine all in one take (after lots of practice, yes!) ... but actually, the version I've submitted is about 5 segments merged together, since there's a couple of awkward transitions that flow better if they overlap slightly.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 434
    That video is great @Modellista
    @ very interesting to see it played and more videos all round would be great.

I tend to record around 90% in a single take then spend a bit of time messing around with the trickier chord changes. I also like to have some ad libbed phrases phrases which can be very hit and miss and might involve a lot of takes.  I could do a video in the future but it would probably look like a cassette boy edit.

On this occasion I went with an immediate melody in my head which was the basis of the first few phrases. I then tried building on it with my focus on avoiding my default pentatonic clichés.
    @Modellista Great video. I have no idea how to record video like that. What software do you use to put the audio from your DAW with the video? 
    Cheer @Rowby1 and @flying_pie ;

It's done in Premiere Pro, quite easy to import the footage and audio together.  Tricky part is getting it synced, I just eyeball it until it looks right.

Hard part is playing it properly and not gurning too much!