Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Time Travel

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24406
    No.  Nothing like it at all sorry.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    I’m confused. Why would anyone want to revisit 2018?
    £5 says 2019 will be worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Travelling backwards in time is not possible.  Travelling forwards at different rates is possible though.
    Anyone care to calculate at what latitude you would need to fly West at 500mph in order to remain 'stationary' in time?
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    hang on though. If you were standing right on the exact north (or south) pole wouldnt it be all times at the same time? thats like, far out, man.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Travelling backwards in time is not possible. 
    That's not strictly true ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    edited January 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Travelling backwards in time is not possible.  Travelling forwards at different rates is possible though.
    Not currently possible is more accurate.
    Travelling forwards at different rates: If you mean time dilation then yes this demonstrably possible but it doesn't preclude time travel into the past.

General relativity does provide scenarios where it is possible to go back in time, according to NASA- at least mathematically.
    We also don't know if wormholes are a thing yet, nor if cosmic strings, or infinite cylinder theory are.
    It isn't likely to happen in our lifetime.
    No.  It is true.  That article discusses an unproven hypothesis.  Time dilation, to the best of my knowledge, is a demonstrable phenomenon.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14521
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • octatonic said:
    I’m confused. Why would anyone want to revisit 2018?
    No way am I taking that bet. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Not currently possible is more accurate.
    Travelling forwards at different rates: If you mean time dilation then yes this demonstrably possible but it doesn't preclude time travel into the past.

General relativity does provide scenarios where it is possible to go back in time, according to NASA- at least mathematically.
    At quantum level. Backwards time travel at any larger scales is likely to be impossible, rather than a technological problem.

octatonic said:

Is that £5 at pre-Brexit or post-Brexit values?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    In reality, any plane that is near to a time-zone border today can experience this.  e.g. A flight heading West over Ireland at 23:59 will be in 2018 until midnight arrives, when it will be in 2019.  However, once it crosses the West coast of Ireland, it will move into the UTC -1 zone, which will be 23:XX back in 2018.

Depending on the ground speed of the plane and the latitude it’s flying at, it will either end up back in 2019 if it fails to reach the next time zone within an hour, or - if it’s northerly (and fast) enough - stay in 2018 until it lands.
    I'm surprised Ryanair don't offer annual Irish Time Travel Experience flights. :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
  • Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Travelling backwards in time is not possible. 
    That's not strictly true ... ;-)

That article kinda glosses over the actual problem inherent with the very beginning of their idea - the supermassive black hole and its negative counterpart. Sure, you could create the wormhole, but in order to actually use it you'd have to - at some point - end up inside the event horizon of a black hole.

As I understand it, that's not an especially comfortable place to be.
    <space for hire>
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Back in when concord was in operation you could in theory celebrate New Years in London then go to NYC and do it all over again.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Fretwired said:
    Cool, but its not technically time travel though ....
    Just being a pedant, but it probably is. Because of the general theory of relativity and the constant speed of light, you can imagine that you are always moving at a constant speed through space/time. As your speed in space approaches the speed of light, it distorts your speed through time. 

Admittedly, there would be measurable effect on a commercial jet crossing the date/line, but there must be *some* effect :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    No.  It is true.  That article discusses an unproven hypothesis.  Time dilation, to the best of my knowledge, is a demonstrable phenomenon.
    The ancient Greeks never thought man would set foot on the Moon. Our knowledge of science is limited so who knows what maybe be possible.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    edited January 2019
    If I could turn  back time I would never have bought that fuckin time machine.
  • quarky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cool, but its not technically time travel though ....
    Just being a pedant, but it probably is. Because of the general theory of relativity and the constant speed of light, you can imagine that you are always moving at a constant speed through space/time. As your speed in space approaches the speed of light, it distorts your speed through time. 

Admittedly, there would be measurable effect on a commercial jet crossing the date/line, but there must be *some* effect
    But time "on the clock" and when years start and end address surely made up concepts so measuring an absolute truth by them is moot.

Emp_Fab said:
    Anyone care to calculate at what latitude you would need to fly West at 500mph in order to remain 'stationary' in time?
     Wherever you like, just take the battery out of your watch
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    quarky said:

Admittedly, there would be measurable effect on a commercial jet crossing the date/line, but there must be *some* effect
    But time "on the clock" and when years start and end address surely made up concepts so measuring an absolute truth by them is moot.
    Absolutely not. Time measured on a super-accurate watch would be different from someone who flew at speeds approaching the speed of light for a short distance than for someone who didn't, when they both got back together.