them again

What's Hot
ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

I post it just for interest and, (I hope reasoned) comment. I am personally averse to single ended designs. The single EL84 in a cheap practice amp makes sense, sort of but if you want 10 watts+ push -pull is more efficient, transformers are cheaper and they have far better power supply noise rejection.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Inevitably someone will point out that this is in the posted in the wrong section. Probably best to just move it now before they do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    My ears can't unhear that el84 hard edge to the treble response. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    hywelg said:
    My ears can't unhear that el84 hard edge to the treble response. 
    Oh! I thought they were EL34, 6L6 and possibly KT88? Will check.

Dave.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    Dangerous killer hooligan...

The 10th Anniversary amps feature:

• ECC83 valve in the preamp stage
    • Specially voiced EL34, 6L6 and KT-88 power amplifiers
    • Clean and Boost or Overdrive settings, which are footswitchable
    • Specially voiced Reverb, speaker emulated output and effects loop
    • A super cool retro styling
    • A Celestion 70/80 loudspeaker
    Yus, no EL84.

Dave.

• Yeah they sound alright but be good to see some demonstrations without the talking :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Yeah they sound alright but be good to see some demonstrations without the talking :)
    Quite agree!  I also wonder why they put an 80W speaker in an amp that could never kick more than 12 watts or so? (unlike p-p designs) I also think the 70/80 is on on ICBM's hit list?

Dave.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I'm gonna buy 11 tomorrow 'cause that's 1 louder than 10. Right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27155
    I like the EL84 thing but didn't hear it in those clips.

I thought the 6L6 one sounded quite good on the vid, fwiw.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    ecc83 said:

I am personally averse to single ended designs. The single EL84 in a cheap practice amp makes sense, sort of but if you want 10 watts+ push -pull is more efficient, transformers are cheaper and they have far better power supply noise rejection.
    There's a definite different characteristic to the sound, and I do actually like the typical sound of a single-ended amp with a big valve - I'm not sure why, although I suspect it might actually have something to do with the greater hum!

ecc83 said:

I also wonder why they put an 80W speaker in an amp that could never kick more than 12 watts or so? (unlike p-p designs) I also think the 70/80 is on on ICBM's hit list?
    As we've always said, probably much cheapness...

Otherwise it's a strange choice for such a low-powered amp - or in fact any amp that you want to sound lively at whatever power level. It's usually thought of as a good choice for modelling amps because it's rather stiff and flat-sounding, so it doesn't tend to colour the sound in a particular way.

There are now other Celestions which don't cost a fortune that they could have used though, not least the V-Type which I think they already are using in the Artist series. Using up old stock perhaps?

I like the EL84 thing but didn't hear it in those clips.

I thought the 6L6 one sounded quite good on the vid, fwiw.
    Likewise - I hear quite a tight sound... but that's typical of Blackstar rather than typical of EL84s. I still think it sounds better than anything I've heard from them before.

Still not keen on top-mounted controls though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited January 2019
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.