Were Dokken or Ratt ever big in the UK ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    They aren't going to be remembered as great bands because well, they weren't and their style of rock has become irrelevant. That said, George Lynch was and remains shit hot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Kerpunk said:
    There was a guy on the music radar forums who mentioned RATT in every other post.
    He turned out to be not real in the end.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    Lixarto said:
    Kerpunk said:
    There was a guy on the music radar forums who mentioned RATT in every other post.
    I'm intrigued. Was he some kind of hair metal Tyler Durden?
    Something like that; nobody could like Ratt that much.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    mellowsun said:
    Hanoi Rocks were the first glam/hair metal band that I encountered in the early 80s (gig at famous Essex dive The Pink Toothbrush) and iirc Ratt were heavily influenced by them.

Of the Rocks copyists generally I preferred Motley Crue and Poison.
    i loved Hanoi Rocks, but there was no way any of these bands copied Hanoi Rocks.
    Hanoi were so obviously influenced by the New York Dolls, Iggy and the Stooges, The Ramones and any number of punk bands 

Motley, Poison, Warrant etc were more Mott the Hoople, Cheap trick, Kiss
    They were friends with Hanoi - Razzle died in a car crash Vince neil had in '84

There were a number of sleaze bands of the later 1980s that did owe a debt to Hanoi however
    Even Axl Rose was a big Hanoi fan though....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Lixarto said:
    Kerpunk said:

Sounds like me.  What do you mean by not real?  lol.  Was he a computer simulation or something or just a twisted figment of your imagination?  lol.

I never heard of Ratt back in the day, I don't think they broke big over here, especially with Round and Round and remember the USA and UK were fundamentally different places in terms of culture back then.  Most didn't have MTV.  Despite the Tube and Channel 4, the UK was like the Soviet block compared to MTV and the USA industry.  I caught up on everything three years later with endless MTV recordings, watching them all back to back, wishing I had MTV at the time and everything UK was still geared around Maiden, Motorhead and the legacy of early 80's metal when Out of the Cellar was released.  There wasn't a sunset strip in the UK and temperatures even then never got above 20 degrees, so I guess people couldn't relate to it eh.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited April 2014

Also all those kack bands, like the Cure and their goths and the New Romantics and all put most off anything Glam.  I hated the UK audience at the time.  No style whatsoever.  If you liked metal, it was Judas Priest, Motorhead and Iron Maiden, every song sounded the same.  Ozzy was about as glam as you could get.  You couldn't even admit to liking Motley Crue for being labeled something.  The great irony of course is that everyone then went gay and sensitive on a mass scale when indie and then grunge came in.

George did copy Limahl's hairstyle though eh.

I did love WASP, at least the first four albums, although I felt pretty alone in doing so.

Sambostar said: like the Cure
    Yes.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    For WASP - check out The Crimson Idol 
    Even though it's techncally a Blackie Lawless solo album that the record label made them label as WASP it's still a corker.
    Kind of an obvious tribute to Quadraphenia in some of it's themes

But being a fan of the whole "Sunset strip" bands in the early to mid 80s still left room for many others like Dio,Ozzy, Scorpions, Y&T , MSG, Whitesnake, Queensryche, Cinderella, Yngwie Malmsteen, Night Ranger, Def Leppard etc. as well as a huge number of 70s bands still going strong.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    edited April 2014
    Dave Navarro doesn't agree with you To be honest a lot of the "Hair" stuff is cheesy, but then I find a lot of early 90s alternative stuff "lazy" so I see the good in both. Im always amazed at how someone who gets Johnny Marr, doesnt understand Yngwie Malmsteen, its really short sighted. I think any guitarist of any genre could learn from Lynch, he s really interesting to me. Imagine in if you were a painter & you just disregarded the impressionists. Its all music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the worst guitar ever George.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Kerpunk said:
    Are you sure that wasn't me?
    Dave_Mc said:
    Kerpunk said:

Only if you are not real.  Are you real?

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Surely if I'm not real I wouldn't know that I'm not real?
    Yeah, but how do you really know that you are real?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A thread about hair metal and I've not said anything.

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    I love that there's so mich hair metal love on here, i never would have expected this sort of response to a thread about Dokken and Ratt. Although i must admit every time i hear "Don Dokken" (yep that's an actual name!) it makes me think of " Cock Docking" which is something my old drummer told me about many years ago (google it, you'll wish you hadn't) :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    Dave_Mc said:
    Kerpunk said:
    I think your better placed to answer that than me :P
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Wasn't Dokken named after the league singer Don Dokken? 

Or am I confusing that with a
    I love that there's so mich hair metal love on here, i never would have expected this sort of response to a thread about Dokken and Ratt. Although i must admit every time i hear "Don Dokken" (yep that's an actual name!) it makes me think of " Cock Docking" which is something my old drummer told me about many years ago (google it, you'll wish you hadn't) :D
    I thought Dondokken was a small coastal village just outside Rotterdam. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Haven't listens to Mr Scary for years and years until this thread. 

He's still got it too...