Horrible word of the day

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 12872
Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

We have just published a 10 point listicle ...


WTF!?!?! 

It's probably years old, I have been thankfully spared of its existence up until now. It is the most annoying word since I first saw Webinar. It's frikkin offensive! 

I'll shut up now


0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
«1

Comments

  • munckeemunckee Frets: 3101
    I listened to a program on radio 4 this morning which mentioned first Barack Obama's phrase "empathy deficit" as well as an Empathy Consultant saying she provides "Empathy Nudges".  Luckily she then got torn apart by the host who pointed out she had an incorrect understanding of the term empathy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1642
    Is Twunt still ok?
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1596
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1551
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 1921
    BigMonka said:
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    I thought a "Brozine" was a magazine for men. Or a new type of halogen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1642
    BigMonka said:
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    They need a kick in the Scrollocks
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10706
    Fistula 

    This space is for rent.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10706
    BigMonka said:
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    Humanity must die. This is proof. 

    This space is for rent.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1036
    munckee said:
    I listened to a program on radio 4 this morning which mentioned first Barack Obama's phrase "empathy deficit" as well as an Empathy Consultant saying she provides "Empathy Nudges".  Luckily she then got torn apart by the host who pointed out she had an incorrect understanding of the term empathy.

    "Roll up Roll up  Empathy nudges. 3 for a pound."

    Bread rolls are actually very caring. Arctic rolls can be quite cold.  
      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9763
    axisus said:
    Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

    We have just published a 10 point listicle ...


    WTF!?!?! 

    It's probably years old, I have been thankfully spared of its existence up until now. It is the most annoying word since I first saw Webinar. It's frikkin offensive! 

    I'll shut up now


    Not as offensive (and meaningless) as leverage being used as a verb.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 651
    BigMonka said:
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    Probably the same person who tried to make "fetch" happen?

    I find "listicle" inoffensive.  It's an article in the form of a list.  Do we have a word for that? I don't think so. Do we need a word for that? Here's 10 reasons why...

    Webinar is ok too. It's a seminar on the web.  As long as we have seminars not on the web it's a useful word.  Almost as good as world-wide-wecture.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 5900

    "Webinar" doesn't bother me - thinking about it, I just accepted it as a word without even thinking where it came from.

    Never heard "listicle" before.  I don't like it.  It sounds too much like testicle.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 1392
    Surely a listicle is just an ickle list?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1642
    Snags said:
    Surely a listicle is just an ickle list?
    This makes testicles sound like an insult...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 3030
    Veganic said:

    Webinar is ok too. It's a seminar on the web.  As long as we have seminars not on the web it's a useful word.  Almost as good as world-wide-wecture.

    Webinar is a clumsy, malformed word that is jarring to read and unpleasant to pronounce. The reason, I think, that it sounds so absurd is that it lacks any semantic integrity.

    The noun 'seminar' is derived from seminary, which is in turn derived from the Latin 'seminarian', meaning breeding ground or plant nursery. These words all share their etymology with 'seed' and have to do with the dissemination and development of ideas.

    The problem is that all of the meaning is loaded in the root of the word, in the 'sem' that has, in the case of webinar, been thoughtlessly excised. Without that referent, the word is meaningless; it's a linguistic cut and shut with a very conspicuous join.

    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 68
    Listicle (noun) a portmanteau word from list, to lean to one side and testicle, male genitalia. Where one testicle hangs lower than the other. Look at the listicle on those!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 5514
    All of these new made up unnecessary words, and we still don't have a word for the disappointment you feel when someone takes the last biscuit before you get a chance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 805
    scrumhalf said:
    All of these new made up unnecessary words, and we still don't have a word for the disappointment you feel when someone takes the last biscuit before you get a chance.
    Isn't that just ..... "disappointment"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 3030
    scrumhalf said:
    All of these new made up unnecessary words, and we still don't have a word for the disappointment you feel when someone takes the last biscuit before you get a chance.
    Marriage?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 1392
    Maynehead said:
    Snags said:
    Surely a listicle is just an ickle list?
    This makes testicles sound like an insult...

    What's the last thing Tickle-Me Elmo gets before he leaves the factory? ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 4497
    axisus said:
    Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

    We have just published a 10 point listicle ...
    Use humour against the sender. Write an acknowledgement e-mail. Highlight the offending verbal contraction. Politely assert that you decline to li(ck tes)ticle.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3764
    axisus said:
    Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

    We have just published a 10 point listicle ...


    WTF!?!?! 

    It's probably years old, I have been thankfully spared of its existence up until now. It is the most annoying word since I first saw Webinar. It's frikkin offensive! 

    I'll shut up now


    Not as offensive (and meaningless) as leverage being used as a verb.
    Using Revert, where they meant Reply - really grinds my grammar nazi gears !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

    Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1959
    Going forward we will need to drill down and a do a piece of work around this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 4497
    axisus said:
    the Senior Strategic Communications Manager
    Great. A chief of communications who cannot use English correctly. Pure Dilbert.

    Er, does this manager resemble a small white dog or an evil, red cat?
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 651
    Brize said:
    Veganic said:

    Webinar is ok too. It's a seminar on the web.  As long as we have seminars not on the web it's a useful word.  Almost as good as world-wide-wecture.

    Webinar is a clumsy, malformed word that is jarring to read and unpleasant to pronounce. The reason, I think, that it sounds so absurd is that it lacks any semantic integrity.

    The noun 'seminar' is derived from seminary, which is in turn derived from the Latin 'seminarian', meaning breeding ground or plant nursery. These words all share their etymology with 'seed' and have to do with the dissemination and development of ideas.

    The problem is that all of the meaning is loaded in the root of the word, in the 'sem' that has, in the case of webinar, been thoughtlessly excised. Without that referent, the word is meaningless; it's a linguistic cut and shut with a very conspicuous join.

    I bet you say that about all the words.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10706
    Deskfast.

    Breakfast that you eat at your desk.


    This space is for rent.

    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2508
    Ask him if he's taking the pissticle.

    Did anyone bring the petits-fours?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 11428
    Kebabkid said:
    Is Twunt still ok?
    Well he's still president, if that's what you mean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 5865
    Testiculation. Waving your arms around and talking bollocks. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 4685
    boogieman said:
    Testiculation. Waving your arms around and talking bollocks. 
    Genius!
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.