'Earing Protection

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
"What???!"

So, after feeling tired and deaf after last nights gig, Ive taken the plunge and ordered some custom moulded ear plugs. Ive decided to go with ACS and whilst they are pricey and their website is slightly confusing, Im looking forward to giving them a whirl. 

Anyone else actually using hearing protection?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ER-20s on a cord.  Pop 'em in; pop 'em out without losing them.

Having tried dozens of different types, including moulded, I've settled on the ER-20s on a cord:  protection and convenience.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26988
    I've said it before and will continue to do so until everyone has a set. My Pro 17s are the best bit of gear I own besides my guitars
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ACS custom moulded ER15 for me. Best gear purchase ever. I use them at every gig and rehearsal. Wish I'd taken the plunge and got them years ago.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    In ear monitors, solves the hearing protection problem and you have the benefit of  being able to hear your own vocal and guitar as clearly as you like. 

You can get the moulds that protect your hearing as standalone moulds but they accept iem drivers when your in a position to use them. Best of both worlds really. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Just to flag that the above comment was due to the forum not working with my Samsung Galaxy tab very well lol

Ive gone for the ACS Pros 20 but I do like the fact that they will change the inserts if required. How are you guys finding the 17s?
    Jetfire said:
    Just to flag that the above comment was due to the forum not working with my Samsung Galaxy tab very well lol

Ive gone for the ACS Pros 20 but I do like the fact that they will change the inserts if required. How are you guys finding the 17s?
    If anything I found the 17s took a smidge more out than I'd like, but I got used to them quickly enough. Obviously depends how loud you have your amps and monitors (though I'm aware I have mine quieter than a lot when possible). This was with a Rivera Clubtser 25 on about 4.5 or a Mesa 5:25 about half way up, standing about 4 feet in front.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @stickyfiddle So if you were choosing an alternative to thePro 17s, what would you have chosen instead? Pro 15s?
    edited April 2014
    @camf I'd go down to 15 if anything, but ideally I'd actually have both sets of filters and pick at the time depending on the gig (distance from drums, size of room, etc). And a set of 20 or 22s for long haul flights!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Use them in practice every time but dont like them live, even though the volume is often louder i think not being in such an enclosed space makes it not as bad as in a rehearsal room.

Worst is one place we occasionally use that has an arched brick ceiling and really tiny room, the cymbals cane your ears something proper in there unless your wearing plugs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Not wearing earings might help - perhaps stop wearing 3 inch hoops?

Jokes, another vote for in ears - protect your hearing and you get a nice mix!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• ACS ER-20's here too. Been using them for years. They are great. 

I gig every weekend, then have to run the recording studio during the week - you can't work with ringing ears, and the permanent irreversible damage you are doing is just crazy to ignore. 

After a song or two into the set, you don't realise you are even wearing them anymore. You really appreciate how much good they do when you take them out at the end of a gig and even the crowd sounds loud. 

Another curious thing, I love wearing them at small gigs I'm not playing at - especially in bars and clubs. When a loud band is playing and someone is shouting in your ear, you can't hear anything they are saying at all. With the ER20s in, you can actually hear someone trying to talk to you much more clearly too. 

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118

+1 for the ER20s - they keep the cymbals I have to stand next too while gigging at a comfortable level.

Still feels weird singing with them in so may look at the custom ones at some point

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Just got some pro 17s last week. Comfortable, but they seem to be taking out a bit more than I'd like, and we LOUD in the rehearsal room.

As a matter of interest, how do the Pro17 users find the underwater feeling? I find there's more occlusion than I expected, but they do seem to be a good fit.

You might find them "tight" or uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to them. Use the lube that comes with them :)

• I've also just ordered some pro 17s, I chose them as they claim they have the flattest frequency response, although I am a bit worried about them taking out too much volume over the pro 10's, losing the vibe a bit on stage.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    I find them a bit quiet at rehearsal volume, but fine at my stage volume. Your ears, and stage volume, may vary of course
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    im also going to pull the trigger on some moulded plugs.  what make are the pro 17's? its not easy to find reviews on professional plugs so far, so im a bit overhwlmed by what brand is actually good. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    My 17s are from ACS
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2014
    The Pro range are a ACS product. The previous ER range were (I believe) a licensed product that they sold on (after adding the custom moulds of course). I got mine before the Pro range was launched.
    Ahh, Im glad someone bumped this thread!  

So, they have arrived and just using them in a non practise situation, they are really very impressive.  I have practise Friday so they will get a full work out then but so far, I am seriously impressed. I also like the fact that they can be turned into basic IEM's too with ACS's bits of kit so Im going to bear this in mind. 

Either way, looking forward to Friday