'Earing Protection

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Since this thread started, and after a bit of bother, I've been fitted for mine and hope they arrive sometime next week. I hadn't realised they could be used as IEMs in any way. I must check that out. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Best bit tbh was getting the moulds done.. I could do that all day!

• firks91firks91 Frets: 104

The Pro range are a ACS product. The previous ER range were (I believe) a licensed product that they sold on (after adding the custom moulds of course). I got mine before the Pro range was launched.
    ahhh now i was wondering what the difference between the pro and the er was
    im quite surprised that some of you are saying that the 17's are a tad quiet seeing as on the website it says the 20's are recommended for electric guitars musicians and drummers. surely there cant be that many quiet drummers about ;) 

in all seriousness though, i would be a bit concerned about which level of attenuation to go for.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Well I have 20's in so Ill let you know after Friday :)
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Obviously you are bound to keep the moulds but I think you have a period in which you can change the attenuation level... can't remember what it is. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    You can buy more than one set of filters. Our drummer had a couple depending on the band/venue. I've just got the 15s but I'm considering getting some stronger ones as well.
    Jetfire said:
    Well I have 20's in so Ill let you know after Friday :)
    i await with bated breath :) 
    ahhh i see! well that makes it easier then. the main reason i want to have them is because the drummers snare and cymbals are painful! and of course it wont do harm to lessen the level of my amp thats normally 1-2 feet behind me
    Has anyone had any experience with minerva?
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6504
    I use a very basic in-ear set-up:

A pair of very cheap noise-cancelling earbuds, into a looooong minijack extension lead, into a Behringer headphone amp which takes a monitor feed from our desk, and also allows a throughput of my mic to allow my vocals to be independently adjusted in my mix to my requirements.

Sound quality isn't great BUT i can hear what I am playing, and the noise-cancelling aspect means I don't have to have the volume especially loud to drown out the onstage volume.

Only down side is that it's not a wireless solution, so I have a cable trailing down my back which needs to be secured against my person using tape or else it all weighs down too much and pulls the earbuds from my ears.

Cheap and cheerful, but as an intro to in-ear monitoring, it is one of those "never going back" moments of revelation.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    I still don't trust myself with owning expensive custom plugs.  I'm using Alpine Music Safe Pro earplugs, I have two sets just in case I lose the main set (which I have done once already this year).  For the samba band I'm in the gold filters are perfect, the less highs the better.  I alternate between the silver and white filters for my rock band, just depends how big the room will be and how far away I will be from the kit.  Bloody drummers eh!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    edited May 2014
    Yes, we need to look after our ears, it's the best piece of equipment we own.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429

I used to use a similar thing to @RocknRollDave but refined it into this :

The box takes a stereo feed from the PA and a pass through for the guitar amp and sends all the signals down the same piece of cable. Just before the lead plugs into the guitar there's a breakout box for my IEM's to plug into.

So only one cable but no batteries to worry about, no interference to wireless signal or wireless drop outs. Just pristine audio. If your on guitar and use a cable this system makes the most sense. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom