10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot
1789101113»

Comments

• nickmewnickmew Frets: 2
    Ok, let's give this a go
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    An early 80s Tokai Strat, which I got secondhand when I was about 15. About a year later I got bored of it and did some punk style modifications. It now has no lower horn - more like the bottom half of a Vox teardrop, a truncated upper horn and all sorts of grafitti type paint jobs. That was over 30 years ago when people hadn't quite realised how good they were.' I've still got it and although it ain't worth much due to my ''thoughtful' mods it's great and I still use it on stage 

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    Hmm. That's like asking which of your children do you save. Probably the Tokai Strat, as although it may be the least valuable it's the least replaceable. And I've got insurance for the rest.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    A 1968 Gibson Dove that I only got a month ago. Been looking for another acoustic to compliment my mahogany Martin for a while and kinda stumbled across it, or it found me. One strum and I knew I was taking it home 

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    Probably a Strymon Riverside or Sunset to simplify my pedalboard. 

5: What strings do you use? 
    Elixirs generally, gauge depends on the guitar. I play bass as well and tend to use La Bellas for the basses.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    Nothing. Everything. There are a thousand things you always want to change, there's never a perfect take, and as I produce for others I've learnt to be able to move on and focus on feel. Try your best to perfect it but if every little thing gets scrubbed and cleaned like a kid going to see the queen you loose the character.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?
    Sounds dull, but making sure everything is in tune . I seem to be the band roadie for one of the bands I'm in

8: ...And five minutes after?
    see above. Still unplugging shit. Ten minutes after generally at the bar.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
    More of a band worst gig thing than just me. 20 odd years ago playing at a university ball, we were last on at something like 1am and they gave us a green room with a piano and a crate of beer after we'd arrive for a soundcheck at 2 in the afternoon. 
    So obviously we drank a bit more than we should have, but the main problem was by the time we went on we were knackered., so decided to go at it super-energetic and bouncy to stay awake. We'd forgotten from the soundcheck that the stage appeared to be made out of trampolines so this made the whole drunken debacle even more precarious. The bass player clanged his headstock against a monitor halfway through the first song and couldn't stay in tune the rest of the gig, the drummer said afterwards every time he did a roll or reached for a cymbal it wasn't there anymore due to the bounce, and all the while I was corpsing in fits of giggles. 
    It didn't help that the hall suddenly emptied just before we came on apart from a few people fighting with giant pugilsticks (if anyone remembers Gladiators) and headbangers with there heads virtually inside the PA cabs.
    We later learned from a news report that the hall had emptied due to some people having sex on the pool tables next door and everyone wanting to see it.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Play more with other people and less by yourself.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • That_LionelThat_Lionel Frets: 1
    edited May 5

A Tanglewood Strat copy. Bought for me by my gran for my birthday in 1990.

My 1992 MIJ Jackson Rhoads.

Aforementioned Tanglewood Strat copy.

A USA Select Jackson RR1.

Ernie Ball 09 - 46 and D'Adarrio 10 - 52, depending on the guitar

The entire mix of an old band's first album. And the second one.

Usually trying to remember how our songs go...

Protecting my gear from murderers.

Playing an indoor gig in a heatwave. 30-odd degrees outside, even hotter inside, absolutely unbearable on-stage under the lights. Was a little "irritable". Singer / bassist hit me on the head with the headstock of his bass. I pushed him away. He stumbled. He fell. Right through the drum kit...

Just relax. No-one gives a ****
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tonybeepbeeptonybeepbeep Frets: 1

Hohner jumbo acoustic at the age of 12/13 and first electric was a black CSL super strat at 15

My old Shaftesbury SG copy that I traded in for  crappy Yamaha back in 94 or so

Was a Charvette 270 that got given away as I'd stashed it in my mum's old house

KMA Wurm pedal

Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys

Use the 5150 that was suggested as opposed to the Zoom 9150 I was rocking

Normally having a dump

Wishing I was still up there on stage

Had a migraine before a gig and was bending down to relieve some pressure when the end of the newly wound B string went into the white of my left eye. The migraine had affected the vision in my right eye, so I basically played the gig blind and partially deaf... 

Learn some f'ing scales young man

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 4
    Yamaha SA500 in about 2008. Black semi-hollow with art-deco f-holes. Nice guitar. Should have kept it around for longer.

Moffa Maryan archtop. 

See Q2. Ordered by me in January 2011 and completed in November 2012.

Hahn Model C telecaster

Thomstik Swing flatwounds, 13-52

Have not yet recorded.

Stretching out hands and some mental focus/relaxaton exercises.

Criticising my own playing, even if others felt I played well.

Guitar and strap parting company.

Prioritise learning tunes!
    London Jazz Guitar Society: www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar