Where should I start to learn to make synth sounds like this?

What's Hot
Follow up from my earlier thread requesting softsynth recommendations http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137780/software-synthesizer-advice-needed#latest, I've since obtained licenses for Ableton's operator, Wavetable and massive. I prefer Wavetable as it is easier to get my head around.. but happy to learn the others too..

I understand the basics of ADSR, LFOs and the various wave types, i.e. sine, square, sawtooth, hybrid etc. but I'm not getting very far in trying to recreate it in Wavetable. I've tried a couple of oscillators, with primarily sine wave and a slow-ish attack (400ms) so that it is a pad sound.

Any tips for the synth sounds in the beginning of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyFvp5uO9as

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    edited April 2019
     So I think that is very close to a Prophet Rev 2 preset called 'Chord Shadowland'.
    I'd wager he used that exact synth as it sounds like a Prophet.

Sounds like he has made some adjustments to the patch- I messed around with the filter, oscillator pitch and glide and came a bit closer, but it is essentially a sawtooth and a pulse oscillator..

If you hear the first note I play it is much less bright than the later notes- because playing with higher velocity opens the filter.
    I am guessing he played it quite softly in the studio to get that filter quite closed down and warm sounding.
    The Prophet does these sorts of sounds really well.

Other than that it is a bit of glide for the octave note and no doubt some EQ to carve out the midrange, although that could have happened in the mix.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    At first I thought you managed to find someone talking about this exact patch, then I realised that you made a video to explain the patch.

I'm blown away. Thank you so much! I will study your response and recreate it as best I can. You are truly an asset to this forum. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Branshen said:
    At first I thought you managed to find someone talking about this exact patch, then I realised that you made a video to explain the patch.

I'm blown away. Thank you so much! I will study your response and recreate it as best I can. You are truly an asset to this forum. 
    He's much more of an asset than me, my answer was going to be "on a synth forum" : )
    Thanks, it would have taken longer to write than make a short vid.

I misspoke in the video, it isn’t a triangle wave, the LFO is a triangle.
    The sound itself is a saw plus a pulse.
    octatonic said:
    Thanks, it would have taken longer to write than make a short vid.

I misspoke in the video, it isn’t a triangle wave, the LFO is a triangle.
    The sound itself is a saw plus a pulse.
    Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. I can see that from the video now that you've pointed it out. 

munckee said:
    Branshen said:

He's much more of an asset than me, my answer was going to be "on a synth forum" : )
    Sometimes, I do think about going elsewhere since my interest in music goes beyond guitar, but I'm just too comfortable with this forum and the people on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s a nice sound, also really cool to do a video explanation octatonic.

@branshen have you ever checked out syntorial? I’ve been learning via it and it’s been a good way to learn. It’s basically a series of short videos explaining a sound then you have to match some examples.

https://www.syntorial.com/
    edited April 2019
    I don't wish to lure you away from the greatness of this place but Muffwigglers is probably the best synth forum with the least amount of BS.
    I post a bit on Gearslutz electronic music subform too.

I'd avoid KVR.
    That’s a nice sound, also really cool to do a video explanation octatonic.

@branshen have you ever checked out syntorial? I’ve been learning via it and it’s been a good way to learn. It’s basically a series of short videos explaining a sound then you have to match some examples.

https://www.syntorial.com/
    have not seen this! Will go through them. Did you ever make it to the paid material?
    octatonic said:
    I don't wish to lure you away from the greatness of this place but Muffwigglers is probably the best synth forum with the least amount of BS.

I'd avoid KVR.
    octatonic said:

I'd avoid KVR.

Haha. Kvr is the only one I use regularly. But then again, only for the buy and sell page. What don't u like about them? Are they the synth forum equivalent of TGP?
    No slight on KVR- it is a good forum and I do go there a bit- but the ratio of people who 'just started and figuring this out as I go' to 'know what I am doing and confidently give advice based on experience' is rather high (or would that be low?).

• @Branshen

Yes I bought the full version, still got a long way to go on it. It was 50% off on Black Friday, but honestly I think it would have been worth full price. It goes at a good pace and explains things clearly.