Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New smaller Fractal FM3 announced

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
Looks like it will have similar specs to the ax8 but in a smaller package with the ares modelling from the AX3.     I like the ida of having a small box with an exp pedal for some gigs that I can link to an FC12 or 6 as part of a bigger board - should be a very practical setup.

Priced at $999 I assume it will be somewhere around that price in £ when it is released in Europe.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6904
    Looks interesting, can use the other footswitch units to expand capability. Not any more processing power than AX8 though.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423-Fractal-Audio-Announces-the-FM3-Amp-Modeler-MultiFX.pdf
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Wonder how much it’ll be 
    Wonder how much it’ll be 
    They’re quoting 999 dollars, so probably about the same in pounds. But add in a FC6 controller and that’s another £600.
    have added stuff AX8 is missing, usb audio, headphone jack, and much better on unit editing. Not sure I’ll get one immediately- need to see if amount of blocks are improved over AX8.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited April 2019
    Just seen this on FB from G66..

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423-Fractal-Audio-Announces-the-FM3-Amp-Modeler-MultiFX.pdf

Complete game changer and a much smaller footprint...Ok, not as many footswitches but if they get the whole switching preset thing licked I could see this being a great unit especially to reduce stage room.

Probably a bit more HX stomp competition than Helix thinking about it..
  • It has FXIII Ares modelling so yes from me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited April 2019
    mrkb said:
    Wonder how much it’ll be 
    They’re quoting 999 dollars, so probably about the same in pounds. But add in a FC6 controller and that’s another £600.
    have added stuff AX8 is missing, usb audio, headphone jack, and much better on unit editing. Not sure I’ll get one immediately- need to see if amount of blocks are improved over AX8.
    It has MIDI so you can switch with other (cheaper) controllers if you program it.
    mrkb said:
    Wonder how much it’ll be 
    It has MIDI so you can switch with other (cheaper) controllers if you program it.
    Good point, I’m using a Morningstar MC6 at the moment which is amazingly capable for midi.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Gah I've just got a FX8!

I think I will get one of these and chop in the helix and the fx8 when I do
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Bit underwhelmed really. Obviously it’ll sound great, Fractal stuff always does but I think it’s more likely to be around £1200 in this country, and in that case I’d much rather take a Helix floor over it.

Wonder how it’d fair as an FX only unit?
  • This looks interesting. I like the addition of the headphone jack and what looks like a simpler UI than either of the bigger floor units.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Parallel threads merged
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited April 2019
    Looks like they’ve taken a few design influences from Line 6

like the stomp though, I’m sure I’d find 3 foot switches limiting, looks great though!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Just looking at it makes me feel sad.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Weird how it's same specs as AX8.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Awaits the flood of cheap AX8’s ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Faslink II greatly expands it beyond what the HX Stomp can do.

Pair this with an FC6 or FC12 and you have an insanely powerful rig with a very small footprint.
    You could have the FM3 off the pedalboard too and just run an XLR cable to the FC controller.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Weird how it's same specs as AX8.
    Cliff has stated that maintaining the current AX8 architecture is difficult after an employee left. Seems a bit extreme to launch a new product to avoid this! Surely there’s someone who could have got up to speed on the software side.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Got really excited when I seen the XLR input... then realised it said Faslink.... then realised it was going to be over a grand.

Nope
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    mrkb said:
    Weird how it's same specs as AX8.
    Cliff has stated that maintaining the current AX8 architecture is difficult after an employee left. Seems a bit extreme to launch a new product to avoid this! Surely there’s someone who could have got up to speed on the software side.
    Wonder where they went, and how good their non-compete clause is ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24495
    No doubt inspired by the success of the Helix Stomp, but at least double the price.
    The Ares modelling may well be great - but will it be worth double? Nope.

And from a selfish POV as a bassist - Fractal's bass modelling sucks balls anyway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom