Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New smaller Fractal FM3 announced

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm an HX Stomp owner, and am loving it thus far. I'm curious, what does this offer (aside from a load more connection options) over and above the Stomp to justify the likely >100% price differential between the two?

This isn't me hating on the product or anything like that by the way. I'm just genuinely curious, as I'm not very clued up about the wider world of modelling gadgets and what you can do with them. A second hand HX Stomp was the best thing I could afford with my strict £400max budget so that's what I bought.

There's seems to be a huge range of different prices for modellers from the Stomp through to the Fractal and Kemper type units. Aside from extra footswitching options, what do the big boys offer that the Stomp/Gigboard/Amplifire don't? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    I'm an HX Stomp owner, and am loving it thus far. I'm curious, what does this offer (aside from a load more connection options) over and above the Stomp to justify the likely >100% price differential between the two?

This isn't me hating on the product or anything like that by the way. I'm just genuinely curious, as I'm not very clued up about the wider world of modelling gadgets and what you can do with them. A second hand HX Stomp was the best thing I could afford with my strict £400max budget so that's what I bought.

There's seems to be a huge range of different prices for modellers from the Stomp through to the Fractal and Kemper type units. Aside from extra footswitching options, what do the big boys offer that the Stomp/Gigboard/Amplifire don't? 
    Some would argue the modelling is better in the Fractals to the Helix, but many would acknowledge that the Kemper is the best of the lot.

You will get many more amp models with a Fractal- too many really if you need to make a quick decision.
    Many more updates with the Fractal too- at one point they were weekly, adding in new models and cabs.
    It has slowed down a bit.

I'd argue that the Fractal build quality is higher than Line 6 too.

I have no particular axe to grind here- I have a Helix, Kemper, Axe FX II, FX8 and use them all.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    octatonic said:
    I'm an HX Stomp owner, and am loving it thus far. I'm curious, what does this offer (aside from a load more connection options) over and above the Stomp to justify the likely >100% price differential between the two?

Some would argue the modelling is better in the Fractals to the Helix, but many would acknowledge that the Kemper is the best of the lot.

You will get many more amp models with a Fractal- too many really if you need to make a quick decision.
    Many more updates with the Fractal too- at one point they were weekly, adding in new models and cabs.

I have no particular axe to grind here- I have a Helix, Kemper, Axe FX II, FX8 and use them all.
    One thing to add - the forums for Fractal are incredibly toxic and full of arse-kissing when compared to Kemper and Line6. I know that can put some people off (it certainly has done for me - I've owned Helix, AX8 and Kemper, and much prefer the Kemper instead of getting an Axe FXIII due to the idiocy on the forums and Cliff's attitudes towards customers).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    FarleyUK said:
    octatonic said:

One thing to add - the forums for Fractal are incredibly toxic and full of arse-kissing when compared to Kemper and Line6. I know that can put some people off (it certainly has done for me - I've owned Helix, AX8 and Kemper, and much prefer the Kemper instead of getting an Axe FXIII due to the idiocy on the forums and Cliff's attitudes towards customers).
    Have you ever spoken badly about a helix on here?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    The Fractal forum is hilarious, pitchforks and a noose await anyone who criticises Cliff or the products. The usual response is “you don’t know how to use it” or “your ears are broken” bless their little pointy heads 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve just bought an AX8 but haven’t really dived to deep into the Fractal forum yet. From what’s been said I might just keep it that way.

For what it’s worth Leon Todd’s YouTube videos are superb. I’ve learnt everything I need to know about the unit and what it’s capable of, just by watching his videos. The guy should be paid handsomely from Fractal for the advice he shares.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’ve always found the fractal forum pretty friendly and helpful - certainly been lots of useful advice whenever I’ve had a query.   

Same for the line 6 forums but I suspect if I went in the helix forum and started posting about how much I prefer the fractal products I’d get some hostility.  

I’m really looking forward to the fm3.  I need to investigate how the fc6 works as I’d like to put the fm3 in a case with a wireless on my amp and then run a cable to an fc6 and expression pedal at the front of the stage.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8780
     kennedydream1980 said:
    I’ve just bought an AX8 but haven’t really dived to deep into the Fractal forum yet. From what’s been said I might just keep it that way.
    I wouldn’t let @sweepy put you off. I’ve been on the Fractal forum for ten years, and always found experienced players willing to share knowledge. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    edited May 2019
    No intent of putting anyone off at all, the old timers there are an invaluable resource but there is a core of complete ass-hats on there that really are beyond all redemption
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rmanmanrmanman Frets: 0
    Has anyone heard more about UK release dates for FM3?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6933
    rmanman said:
    Has anyone heard more about UK release dates for FM3?
    No, but wouldn’t expect anything before the end of the year. It’s usually USA first, then a few into Europe.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2341
    It will be interesting to see whether this and the Kemper stage has any effect on the prices of the competition....
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1326
    edited July 2019
    Maps!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26800
    It will be interesting to see whether this and the Kemper stage has any effect on the prices of the competition....
    What competition? The Helix stuff is already way cheaper - hell, even the cut down LT has all the features of the full-fat version and costs about the same as the Fractal foot controller alone, and the Stomp is basically a third of the price of the FM3.

Line 6 prices will likely hold firm (GBP crashes notwithstanding), because there's no reason for them to change.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2341
    What competition? The Helix stuff is already way cheaper - hell, even the cut down LT has all the features of the full-fat version and costs about the same as the Fractal foot controller alone, and the Stomp is basically a third of the price of the FM3.

Line 6 prices will likely hold firm (GBP crashes notwithstanding), because there's no reason for them to change.

The Stomp and HX Effects have dropped in price a fair few times. I've seen the Stomp drop from £469 to £390. Similar with the HX Effects.

The Helix Floor seemed to jump from around £900 (when I bought one about 18 months back) up to £1200 or so. Now it's around that price. I'd buy another but I feel almost daft paying more for the same item. I'll just see if it drops.

Official announcement on the shipping delay. Looks like Feb/March 2020 for Europe, by which point the Euro to GBP will be parity.

Perhaps they'll have time for a final AX8 update before then.

Now where is that dude who was adamant he'd have one for £1000 by now ;)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-update-september-12-2019.153989/

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still not ready to ship, seems weird that the firmware isn’t ready - they’ve had over 6 months to work on it. I wonder if there’s been a hardware change that’s made earlier firmware work unusable.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I totally forgot this even existed.... well existed in Cliff’s mind at least.... I think Google Glass will come out before it at this rate
  • Are people still waiting on this?
  • Nah. Fractal UX/UI just doesn't appeal to me anymore. They need to do some serious work to attract me back to their platform.

Bye!